Re: [genpcncfir] Digest Number 2278

  • graypom
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2007
      > Yes.......He is my ggggrandfather. He is a block for me too. I have
      > several "maybes" , but nothing concrete. The two most promissing leads are
      > Edmund Moore from Virginia and Cason Moore from Virginia. Also there is a
      > William Moore, orphaned, and raised by the Elks family in NC.

      The Cason Moore in Norfolk County records in Virginia had a wife named Lydia
      about the right date for me to believe Lydia was James' grandmother.

      The John Moore listed in James' house, on the census I have, says John is a
      laborer.......could be a son or other
      person entirely. My census also says James was born in Edgecombe, NC.

      Another interesting item is that John is never mentioned in any information
      about being a son or close enough relative to be included in family matters
      except on the census of 1850.

      So glad to hear someone else looking for him too. Maybe we can find
      something else. I have been looking for him for 5+ years.

      I live in Virginia Beach, Va, so I can get to the court house fairly easy.

      Ola

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
        Dear Ola,
        The Norfolk area was a popular first landing for
        many of our ancestors. It's being right on the ocean
        made it a convenient dropping off spot. Additionally,
        I learned that there was a shipyard at Norfolk by the
        1630's that was hiring persons skilled in shipbuilding
        and related occupations during the 1630's, if not
        before.
        In the case of my earliest Cherry kin, I found a
        document booking the family's passage to Norfolk in
        1632 and giving his trade as shipbuilder and the
        purpose of his passage that of employment in the
        shipyard at Norfolk.
        Interesting, isn't it?
        Later, Carol