Re: Braxton family

  • Linda E
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 19, 2007
      Hi Carol,

      I have Thomas and Priscilla Braxton with 4 children; Phelix, Thomas,
      Henerich and John b. abt 1770. This John married Hannah and had 5
      children: Charles; Council (m. Sarah Roundtree); John (m. Sarah);
      Molcey (m. Luke McGlohon); and Lacy m. 1. Elilzabeth Parker, 2.
      Lizzina Tripp.

      Now, Thomas may have been a son of John Braxton and Mary (circa
      1730) and a sibling of John, James, William, Jesse and Levi but this
      is open to speculation. He was a neighbor of these Braxton's but we
      can't prove the relationship, he may have been John Sr.'s brother,
      nephew or other relationship. Cannot prove that Thomas is the son of
      this John. He lived next door to other sons and relatives. There must
      be some relationship. He did not inherit or buy land from John but
      did have land of his own. His children Phelix, Thomas, Henerich and
      John are listed in land sales from his estate. Thomas was not in the
      1800 census but a Priscilla Blackston was with children that would be
      consistant with the 1790 census of Thomas Blackston, she may or may
      not be his widow. also spelled as Brackston.

      Thanks, I'm having a great Thanksgiving and all is well here. Hope
      you have a great holiday too. Good to hear from you again.

      Linda

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

      ______________
      > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

    • John Meyer
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 20, 2007
        My 5th great grandmother was Mary Braxton. She married Ralph Allen in Dickson Co. Tenn. Bef. 1786 in Dickson Co. Tennessee. Mary Braxton Allen died before 1835 in Madison Co. Mississippi.

        So it is consistent with the Braxton's who have responded that Mary,s family had moved to Tennessee.

        As I mentioned before the Braxton name continues in the Allen family line for many many generations.

        Surnames, Allen, Herrod, Braxton, Foster, Tipton, Baily, Martin ,Turnage, Minyard, Johnston, Edwards,Tripp,
        White, Hodges and many more.

        1. RICHARD R.1 ALLEN was born Abt. 1768 in North Carolina, and died Bef. 25 May 1840 in Madison County,
        MS. He married (1) MARY BRAXTON Bef. 1786 in Dickson County, TN (Originally Part Of NC). She was
        born in NC, and died Bef. 1835 in Madison County, MS. He married (2) JANE FOSTER 24 Aug 1835 in
        Madison County, MS. She was born 1785, and died 11 Nov 1865 in Madison County, MS.

        To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom: ljeckerd@...: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 02:22:49 +0000Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family

        Hi Carol,I have Thomas and Priscilla Braxton with 4 children; Phelix, Thomas, Henerich and John b. abt 1770. This John married Hannah and had 5 children: Charles; Council (m. Sarah Roundtree); John (m. Sarah); Molcey (m. Luke McGlohon); and Lacy m. 1. Elilzabeth Parker, 2. Lizzina Tripp.Now, Thomas may have been a son of John Braxton and Mary (circa 1730) and a sibling of John, James, William, Jesse and Levi but this is open to speculation. He was a neighbor of these Braxton's but we can't prove the relationship, he may have been John Sr.'s brother, nephew or other relationship. Cannot prove that Thomas is the son of this John. He lived next door to other sons and relatives. There must be some relationship. He did not inherit or buy land from John but did have land of his own. His children Phelix, Thomas, Henerich and John are listed in land sales from his estate. Thomas was not in the 1800 census but a Priscilla Blackston was with children that would be consistant with the 1790 census of Thomas Blackston, she may or may not be his widow. also spelled as Brackston.Thanks, I'm having a great Thanksgiving and all is well here. Hope you have a great holiday too. Good to hear from you again.Linda--- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:>> Dear Linda,> John, Thomas, James Jr. & James Sr. all appear on> the sole census from the 1700's. > How many sons of Thomas and Priscilla do you have> names for?> Later, Carol> --- Linda E <ljeckerd@...> wrote:> > > Hi John,> > > > I'm confused, are you descended from Lacey Braxton? > > If so, he only > > had 3 sons by Elizabeth Parker... Marion, Elbert and> > Elias (my > > grgrgrandfather). Elias is the only one who lived> > to have children. > > Lacey had 6 more children with 2nd wife Lizzina> > Tripp; John M., > > Eliza, Mary, Patrick, James and Friedonia. Lacey's> > family did move > > to Tennessee. Elias's family mostly moved on to> > Texas. Elias > > married Margaret J. Epps and had 8 children. Let me> > know if I can > > help you with this line. Linda E.> > > > > > > > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, John Meyer> > <hookipajohn@> wrote:> > >> > > Surnames, Allen, Braxton, Johnston, White,> > Minyard, Harrod, > > Holland, Lee, Davis, and other's> > > > > > > > > Thank you very much. You brought exciting news.> > > > > > I would be thrilled to hear anything about the> > Braxton's family > > line.> > > > > > I would like to see if I have correct what you> > have told me so far, > > It all fits> > > with the rest of my family.> > > > > > My 6th great grandmother Mary Braxton's father was> > 7. James Braxton > > Jr.> > > James Braxton Jr's father was 8. James Braxton Sr.> > > James Braxton Sr's parent's were 9. Lacey Braxton> > and first wife > > Elizabeth Parker.> > > Lacey Braxton m. 2. Lizina Tripp, daughter of> > Arthur Tripp.> > > Lacey Braxton and second wife had a son Elias> > Braxton.> > > Lacey Braxton's parent's were 10. John Braxton m.> > Hannah unknown.> > > > > > From another posting I have the date for John> > Braxton abt. 1710 > > Scotland.> > > > > > John> > >> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

      • John Meyer
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 25, 2007
          I am researching so many parts of my family I forget sometimes if I responded to this e-mail.

          1. RICHARD R.1 ALLEN was born Abt. 1768 in North Carolina, and died Bef. 25 May 1840 in Madison County,
          MS. He married (1) MARY BRAXTON Bef. 1786 in Dickson County, TN (Originally Part Of NC). She was
          born in NC, and died Bef. 1835 in Madison County, MS. He married (2) JANE FOSTER 24 Aug 1835 in
          Madison County, MS. She was born 1785, and died 11 Nov 1865 in Madison County, MS.

          As you can see my Allen and Braxton family merge in Dickson County Tenn. I am assuming that this must be
          the daughter of James Braxton Jr. I would love to have a Braxton family group sheet to find my 5th great grandmother and then to see her family.

          John

          To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom: ljeckerd@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:03:31 +0000Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 26, 2007
            Dear John,
            You are probably right about your Braxton lineage
            to James Braxton, Jr. Linda Eckerd, who has
            corresponded with you, or Kenny Braxton, who has a
            Braxton website, would be the most likely of our
            family to have early photos. Kenny has photos posted
            on his web. Linda has sent me some of hers. One that
            particularly stands out for me is that of Elias A.
            Braxton, my cousin who wrote from his home in Texas to
            the editor of the Greenville Daily Reflector in 1911
            [Pitt County Family Researchers' Genealogy Quarterly,
            Feb. 1995 I believe is the issue in which that letter
            with his family information in it is contained].
            I was so impressed that I copied that photo and
            showed it to my family. My younger brother could be
            his clone.
            Back to you shortly,
            Carol

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 26, 2007
              Dear Linda,
              From the State Library here in Richmond, I found
              land records for the property of Thomas Braxton, those
              showing his purchases of land and then purchases of
              others "adjoining the land of Thomas Braxton
              deceased."
              These I have hand-copied and are at home.
              I am nearly certain from family names passed down
              that John Braxton and Sarah were my direct line as
              well as John Braxton and Hannah if these two John
              Braxtons were father and son.
              If the relationship between these two men was not
              clear, then I'm still searching for this link.
              I have turned to land records first, thinking that
              in some transaction or other there will be occasion
              for the relationship to be revealed--a coming of age,
              a passing on of land in anticipation of death or other
              life stage event.
              The only reservation I have about Priscilla and
              Thomas is that "Thomas" never came down in my line but
              John and James did unto the present day and through
              each generation, which combined with "Hannah" being
              passed down would lead me to think that John was not
              used simply because of its being a name common among
              our English descendants.
              I think I also have a record of Priscilla's filing
              for something or other as heir to Thomas. I came upon
              it by pure chance and wish that I had thought to pass
              it along to the group but I did not. That, too, is
              among my papers at home, and I ran into it at the
              State Library here.
              I'll lay hands on it and make amends for my errant
              ways.
              I feel that everything I can add and document and
              pass onto to you will let you pin down these
              relationships among our early ancestors.
              I don't have that big picture because I have never
              organized my information that way. I've discovered it
              in library visits and public records piecemeal and am
              afraid that it is still in pieces on notecards, in
              notebooks, and even on napkins--the only piece of
              paper I had left to write on at the time--stuck in
              some cases like bookmarks between pages of Chronicles
              I or II and between pages in the Pitt County
              Genealogical Quarterlies where I was able to link
              these papers to information in these publications.
              Additionally, I am still looking desperately for
              that organizing principle to define the relationships
              among these early Braxtons.
              I'll get back to you with my Priscilla and Thomas
              information and sources before Thursday of this week.
              Thanks so much for helping me. You are an
              inspiration.
              Later, Carol

              --- Linda E <ljeckerd@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > have
              > > names for?
              > > Later, Carol
              > > --- Linda E <ljeckerd@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi John,
              > > >
              > > > I'm confused, are you descended from Lacey
              > Braxton?
              > > > If so, he only
              > > > had 3 sons by Elizabeth Parker... Marion, Elbert
              > and
              > > > Elias (my
              > > > grgrgrandfather). Elias is the only one who
              > lived
              > > > to have children.
              > > > Lacey had 6 more children with 2nd wife Lizzina
              > > > Tripp; John M.,
              > > > Eliza, Mary, Patrick, James and Friedonia.
              > Lacey's
              > > > family did move
              > > > to Tennessee. Elias's family mostly moved on to
              > > > Texas. Elias
              > > > married Margaret J. Epps and had 8 children.

            • John Meyer
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 26, 2007
                One of the sons of Mary Braxton and Richard R. Allen was my 4th great grandfather William H. Allen.He was a Indian Agent for the Chickasaw Nation having married a Chickasaw women.I thought you might enjoy this letter he signed in 1832. We assume that the other Allen signer is related as well but as yet have not been able to make a solid connection to us. William H. Allen's son was Major John Braxton Allen, Mississippi Guards. He married Elizabeth Harrod, granddaughter of Colonial James Harrod, founder of Harrods Station in Kentucky. Three of their son's participated in the Civil War. Daniel Allen was killed at Fort Donaldson, Amos was at the surrender at Appomattox and my 2nd great grandfather Wesley Allen was wounded at Shiloh and sent home. Wesley named one of his son's Braxton Allen. I am attaching a picture of the Wesley Dow Allen family. My great grandmother is sitting next to her father. She died when I was 4. I remember her. She is why I started this whole genealogy thing. Also the photo of Braxton Allen, there son's grave. John
                CHICKASAW LETTERS - 1832

                Affidavit of Several Chickasaws, 22 OCT 1832: [M-234 Roll #136]

                Holechy, Chickasaw Nation

                Oct. 22. 1832
                We the undersigned, Do hereby Certify and acknowledge, That the true and just line between the Choctaw & Chickasaw Nations begins at the Mouth of Oka-tithe-hah and runs up it until it gets to the mouth of Noo-sah-chi-yah, then up that creek to a large round swamp, where Noo-sah-chi-yah makes a considerable bend towards the Chickasaws at that point it takes out, on the South side near a large pond, keeping a direct course to a grove of large Pines on the ridge about one mile beyond Wall's old stand on the Natchez Road. Thence a westward course to a point on the Mississippi River, well known by the name 'Tunica Village'.

                In witness we hereunto set our hands and seals --

                Huch-to-hun-tubbe his X mark

                Harn-you-tubbe his X mark

                Tisk-kah-hun-um-pa-la his X mark

                Pah-shiah-now-wah-nah his X mark

                Flah-ha-pay-tea his X mark

                Sho-mount-a his X mark

                Sack-it-tubbe his X mark

                Im-mah-la-cha his X mark

                Tam-by his X mark
                Witness
                Tom chico
                Martin Colbert

                Levi Colbert to President Andrew Jackson, 22 NOV 1832:

                [M-234, Roll #136, Start Frame #0276]Chickasaw Nation Nov. 22d 1832
                To the President of the United States
                My great and beloved Father
                As the head of my Nation, my heart tells me it is right that I place truth before you and if you have looked me in the face and dealt with my heart often and long enough, to credit my woods, you shall have truth in its nakedness. I had not lived and cast my senses, as you know, along the whitemans march, with my eyes shut, man proves the hand of God can no more change principles fixed in him, than he can change his skin, so it is, with the Indian, and his native land, when he hears of a departure from it, his heart like the stricken deer, reels and falls, but he may not die. I saw the whitemans march was to take my country. I prepared my mind and the mind of my Nation for it.
                I received Genl. Coffees message announcing the treaty on the 15th of September, the annuity come out at the same time. In one or two days Colo. Terrell visited my tent, with a talk which I guessed (never knowing) was Genl. Coffees, to induce from me a distinct proposition to sell our country. This Conference closed and I asked Colo. Terrel to say that my Nation had no proposition to make, if any was made, it must come from Genl. Coffee. This gentleman in general Council on the 24th handed to me the written bassis of his treaty. Marked A and herewith sent. My Nation from day to day until the 29th consulted on this basis. On that day, handed to the Genl., the Coppy of a paper marked B consenting to consider the treaty, which was forthwith presented and with which my Nation was not satidfied because the Forth Article provided that the lands to be reserved for the residence of my people until their removal, should be sold by the government, which is not within the basis, and the the chiefs universaly desired, under proper regulations, to retain that right themselves, and we were with one voice opposed to any part of the proceeds of these lands, being vested with the United States at all, which investments as per treaty, is not within, but out of the basis. See article four.
                We wanted this money in our own power, to pay the debts of my Nation, which must be done before we go. To meet expenses in the search and payments for a country west. To remove my Nation to it and to feed and sustain my people in their new homes untill they can again build houses clear farms and and get stock about them. There was in this treaty no guard against Speculation. The selection of reservations, and the valuation of improvements, I believe belonged to our National Council, and not to the President, because exclusively, this is my Nations interest and business, the national funds pays for it, and the solid interests of my Nation verry much depends on it.
                This fourth article pays to my Nation all the net proceeds of these reserved lands, but the thenth, takes, without condition, three fourths of it and fixes it with the United States, to my Nation this was disagreeable, as well also was the establishment of two land offices with two extra clerks, with one register and receiver, we were content. During the advisement of my Nation previous to the presentation of my note in reply to the Genl's basis. The greate body of this Nation had in repeated and solemn councils, positively determined, that not one reservation in the whole country should be allowed, except Colberts Island.
                This determined fact Genl Coffee had from my mouth and Pitman Colbert's repeatedly, but he would not agree to it, and we all think, to give or not give reservations was our own Native question, after he sent for the Commissioners to his quarters, and told us, If we did not allow reservations our greate Fatehr the President would not like it, and he distrubed with us and would think it verry strange that we denied ourselves reservations. We told him that God gave the country to all the Nation, no one had better right than an other. The half breeds got a wide field, they got moreInteligents than the Indians, and the treaty let them choose where they will, they would take a great deal of the verry best land and leave the poor.
                We had a country to find we knowed not where to buy it. If we had to buy of the Mexicans, a large sum of money must be ready, we had to move to this home pay our debts and live when we got there, let us do all these things of first necessity, then vest the balance with the government and draw on the interest. Genl. Coffee say No, on this question you must sleep one night more, he would get the Indians, the half breeds, and white men with Indian families together next day at the Council house, among us. He will help settle this matter. I tell Genl. Coffee, it is not worth while to sleep on a question so well considered and finally determined. He replied, we must all meet him tomorrow and so we did. The Genl. and the half breeds made several talks, at last the Genl. asked me if my mind was fixed not to allow reservations. I told him the great body of My Nation was against reservations and my mind was with them. He asked me what was my mind about the Franklin Treaty, if it was proper to receive any part of it. I asked him if that treaty lived. He said the government had failed to fulfil its part, it was bad, but as the Chickasaws were always ready and willing to fullfil all their contracts, it might be proper to receive some part of it. I told him it was useless to talk about the dead. He said well, he would write out another treaty, such as he thought right if we signed it -- well if not, he would fo home. So we parted as we met except a little more heat.
                In a day or two, he presented his treaty marked D, the very Same as before, on to the fourth article, which ruined a part of the treaty of Franklin, allowing and giving to Indians, half breeds, and Some white men not of Chickasaw families, 39,860 acres of choice land in fee simple, among them was several Chickasaw Commissioners, there with the Genl in treaty, and by the 12th article, gave to four others, 5,120 acres of choice land in fee simple to keep or to sell, in the same article near one hundred sections are given to half breeds and white men with Indian familys. The very persons against whom the Chiefs had been so long contending. To this treaty, all of us delivered our objectios, the Genl. again insisted that the full and half breeds should again meet in council. The Genl., Levi Colbert nor Pittman Colbert were not to be present. The parties meet, the half breeds after these talks, asked the chiefs, one by one if they would allow them reservations, one by one the old chiefs answered No, and turn'd to the warriors and asked them if they would defend them in this Opinion, the warriors replied they would. So they parted as they met.
                The concluding article of this treaty gave to me Levi Colbert, ten sections, make in all fifteen sections and a half. I received this news from Genl. Coffee, by Col. Terrell in my tent, before this treaty was public. The messenger explained to me with great clearness & force, the immense value and importance of 9,920 acres of well selected first rate land, which might be got in the verry bosom of stream navigation. for the happiness of my Nation, I had struck my course, my stand was taken and Genl. Coffee knew it. When Col. Terrell finished, I said to him, When Genl. Coffee attempts to buy my honesty, he must have a pile of money high as my head, then I will keep my honesty still, and the money must come from the United States Treasury and not from my Nations pocket to put mine, and then my honesty shall stay with me still.
                I cant tell what makes Genl. Coffee love reservations, so hard and so long. Three times he has been told no reservations can be allowed, most three weeks have gone away since he hang on this question and got so much heat in our Camps with the half breeds, I will tell him today if he does not quit these reservations, I will quit the treaty.
                The Genl. wrote another treaty, left out one land office and made some unimportant amendments, but still it seemed to us, the half breeds on reserves, from peculiar words in the treaty, might remain on them a long time or give verry long leases, in spite of the Nations actual removal. So the Genl. by the Chickasaw commissioners various amendments in respectful briefs were porposed all of which, is herewith sent, and almost all, was rejected.
                An Other Objection is 15/20 of my people are totally incapable of selecting any land of worth, men of sense and honesty, we think Ought to do this. My Nation also objects to the government selling these reservations. To the President appointing the person to value them or the agent to pay for them and it is objected also, that both the surveyor general and land office, as to their duration is without limit. The investment of any part of the proceeds of the reserved lands, was and now is objected to. On the examination my proposed amendments, to that treaty and of the traty signed since and herewith sent, it will be seen whether the wishes of my Nation, were or all right or wrong. I think the Chickasaw Commissioners with other Chiefs and Warriors, kept this treaty two or three days at my quarters, we could not, nor did we ever understand or approve it.
                My People were worn out, they Could not get their annuity till the treaty was done, for the last week we were verry badly fed and most of them gone home. But the Genl. requested what Chickasaws were on the ground attend, a little before night, my health was verry bad, at candle light Genl. Coffee called on the Chiefs to sign the treaty. This he done repeatedly. They hesitated and said there was something in it they did not understand and requested to postpone untill tomorrow, at which the Genl. got angry and accused the chiefs with ignorance, duplicity, and meaness, charged them with trifling with his official character as well as with his private feelings. He told them if they would not sign the paper then he would leave them and got up off his seat and went off as tho he was gone. Absent a few minutes and returned and commenced his villifying the chiefs again, and told them they must sign the paper then or he would never return, to try to make a treaty with them again. They might remain, suffer and die under the state laws for what he cared. After long contunued abuse and menace from Genl .Coffee, the Chiefs signed the paper or treaty.
                The second paper signed on next day, was presented to the chiefs by Mr. Secretary Anderson in presence of Genl. Coffee. It was not read. The Chiefs were told, that the paper had been read by Levi Colbert and others or read and explained to him and was well understood. Therefore it was unnecessary to read it and interpret it to them. Levi Colbert was at that time absent and sick in his tent on these representations, the chiefs present, signed the paper without knowing what was in it, nor do they yet know its contents.
                On the third day the supplement was presented, read, and Genl. Coffee told the Indians that -- that paper was to cure all those defects in the first papers as he had promised them. Levi Colbert was still absent and sick.
                About the time Genl. Coffee presented us with his treaty about government selling our lands and puting so much money in stock, my Nation did not know what to do, we were disposed to trust, but we did not know how to do it. To our help, we invited Capt Cook, Wm. Cooper attorney at law, Col. Terrell and our Subagent Major Allen. I had known these men long and they all had the confidence of my Nation &c. I thought had the confidence of Genl. Coffee. These gentlemen explained plainly, the nature of government land sales and bank stock, so that in less than two days we got along under good way, soon to finish the treaty, when this distracting reservation question came up. They viewing the matter purely, purely Chickasaw, left us, untill we would settle it.
                The half breeds supported Genl. Coffee and the Genl supported them. The alarm was common that the Genl. would never treat without reservations. If the Chiefs would not allow them, it was strongly impressed on us, that he would treat with the half breeds themselves. I said if he will he must, they have no power. When the half breeds and the Genl. can't get reserves. He semed to get mad and desperate, he desired my white friends to leave my quarters, leave the Chiefs to him, our friends done so, and my Nation was left helpless and friendless. This action of Genl. Coffee, my nation took very hard and very unkind. He was a man of experience and education, we were nude from the hand of nature. He had his secretaries and other enlightened friends around him, we were deprived of the few friends on which we could rely.
                He wished of my Nation a treaty, new to us in all its relations. We knew not how to get along with it, our friends laboured us sincerely to promote a treaty, and a treaty strickly within Genl. Coffee's basis, as himself. Genl. Coffee did, and I told him if he would let them half breeds and two or three whitement who were troubling his ears alone, in four days we could finish a good treaty.
                My Father, I beg you to listen, I know Genl. Coffee stands near your heart, and I am among the last men who would do or say any thing to wound your feelings, but facts in this matter, your generosity will forgive. In the Franklin treaty, reservations were given to Major Allen, Col. Reynolds, McClish and Magee, with others, and to myself, five sections and a half. The renewal of any part of this treaty, and the allowance of reserves at the treaty of Pontetoc, the Genl. well knew at an early day, would not be agreed to. He pressed these matters on us, so hard & so long, and so rough, this was the foundation, and final loss of all confidence on both sides. I told hiom, the Nation had given strong helps to enlighten our half breeds, we wanted their help in our councils, we had paid many thousands of dollars of their debts to save them from the white laws, nothing paid back. They are the first of our nation to turn against whatthe steady old chiefs believe, the most solid good for this nation. They seem to calculate for there own pockets forgetful of their country. I told him my Nation was soon to be left alone to search a new and fair of home all the troubles, expenses and evils of it, were on our own backs.
                No help but the price of our country. It was my intention to vest largely, through the President in bank stock, let the old corn stand and my generations feed on the new, year by year, but I wanted a good country first. I wished he would shut his ears to this half people and let us make a treaty all satisfied old friends. I proposed to the general many amendments to his treaty, Such as my heart tells me, was just for the government and my Nation. He denies my words. I tell him, my words are the wishes and words of my Nation, (which he has long known very plain), he says my Nation got no sense. I tell him, if my people make a bad bargan it will be our loss, not the governments. he says he knows best for us and would do it. So I know all confidence and good feeling is gone.
                This makes the treaty last five weeks, a few of my people signed those papers influenced by the impetus of the moment, and at that moment, hoping for that redress from our Father the President which we think the State of the Genl's feelings denied us, in treaty, for in addition to my former observations, at the signing of the treaty When the Genl got up and went off he said as he had repeatedly said before, that if we did not sign the treaty then, that he was authorized by the President to say that -- that was the last time, he would ever send a commissioner to us, and if we did not sign them, he would directly leave ud for ever, to the severitys of the state laws.
                We thought this gentleman was the friend of the President and brought to us his heart, that he was the officer of a great government, Mad with my Nation and my Nation weak, we looked for all the furiy on us. So we sign the paper.
                When my Father used to treat with us he gave to us, a copy of what was done. I sent Pitman Colbert and my son to the Genl the evening before hr started from the treaty ground, requesting copies of all which had been done. Very harshly -- he denied my messengers, the next day he sent to me the letter marked K, but I should very much like to know, what was in that dumb paper because that paper gives me much uneasiness, as does the suppliment, for I never saw either.
                In relation to the salt lick and lands on the river Sandy in Tennessee, I ask leave to say a few words. I was down sick in my tent, Genl. Coffee came to me and said you have now sold your Country. Nothing have been done with the salt lick and the land on Sandy rever in Tennessee. I say to Genl Coffee I am too sick to talk about it. Your honour and your Justice for it do what is right. I was unable to do any thing. Well he went off, and I hear from all hands, white and red, that he put in the suppliment, in this way, he ceeds these 16 Sections to the government at one Dollar and twenty five cents the acre and binds the government to pay Mr. Currin one dollar for every acre and the Chickasaws one -- twenty five cents for every acre. I can't see the reason of or the Justice of this way. Robert P. Currin has paid us but five hundred dollars, the treaty of Franklin is dead, this is all we can get. Why that gentle man should receive ten thousand two hundred and forty dollars seems to my Nation very strong indeed.
                My Father -- I beg the President and the Senate to consider of the losses, expenses and difficulties, My Nation must meet in removing to the west, this question [k]nows from its nature can't be counters, but to a whole Nation is appalling. The Chickasaw feel a native born attachment for their Country and it seems to me true, that nature presents nothing in the west, which can make the Chickasaws more happy there -- than here, their Native and beloved land. It is true that my Nation become willing to sell their Country, to put down that bitter question of State Sovereignty, to keep peace in the white family, to preserve the Union of the United States whose friendship and protection we want, and our selves, to get away from the troubles which our white brothers fixed upon us. It is the result of our weakness and we surrender our Country to cure the evils we never created. The whole question considered, to us it seems right that the United States pay the Chickasaws one hundred thousand dollars as asked for in thier treaty. We hope the our father the President and Senate will think with us and afford their powerful aid, this will help soften the Chickasaw hearts. Convince them of the liberality and Justice of the United States, and promote the brother hood of the white and red men in the west.
                My great and beloved father, the whole Chickasaw Nation, by my heart and my mouth, in this last attempted bargain, for their last foot of land within the United States, beg leave to speak as they feel. My whole Nation is deeply distatisfied with Genl. Coffees treaty, for remedy, we do not Cast our selves into the arms your Enemys, but like true and faithful children, we come first to you and bring our complaints to our fathers wisdom and justice, we ask of him to except of our treaty of this date, with which my whole Nation will be satisfied and strong friends as they always have been.
                My father, at the treaty at Pontetoc, we were shorn of our friends, of our lands and of the government we always love'd, our country, lov'd for ages, by one treaty of the other, is gone. Soon to blaze with the white mans fires and my Nation again must kindle a feeble light in the wilds where the ax nor the hoe has never been heard, but my father will do us justice now and let us part in peace, so that I may have truth in my mouth and may say to my people in the west, altho it was necessary for the happiness of the United States to have our old Country, yet General Jackson and the Senate, has been honest, Just and liberal.
                I want my father, to keep down the tomhawk in the Chickasaw hands for ever. Will my father listen. My Chiefs and warriors heard the Presidents talks which he made to us at Franklin in the house of God. Remember my Father, the true and living fire, which caught in your breast, flowed in your eyes, and imparted a heavenly flame into all our bosoms, -- can my Nation now, in the midst of its difficulties, look to this President and the Constitution which rules him, for a protecting guardian. Can the injured in their weakness, find in this man a never failing friend. A broad field my father is presented, it is the cause of justice, humanity and weakness. It is not the voice of restive man which ought to a wake the sensibilities of the President and Senate, but the cry of a Naked Nation contending with one man for their National rights, will arise those authorities to defend the powerless, and show to the world, that -- that spirit of liberity and equality, which distinquishes the United States from all the Empires in the world, is not as many might imagine, a jealously and defense of their own particular rights, an unwillingness to be oppressed themselves but a high respect for the rights of Others, -- an unwillingness, that any man high or low should be wronged.
                This is the living shasow of the great spirit. The inside dress which the Almighty Cherishes, and gives to true greatness, all its action and all its immortality, these in the American character tells to the world that -- that liberity, which God gave and Washington left, has no security any further than this uprightness and just benevolence acts on and governs community.

                Truly your old and constant friend

                Levi [his X mark] Colbert Principal chief of the Chickasaws

                Ho to pa King of the Chickasaws X
                Aj ian it ub bee his X mark

                Tish she min go his X mark
                In ki za his X mark

                George Colbert his X mark
                Mah to cush ub ba his X mark

                Saml. Sealy his X mark
                Es ta kin tub ba his X mark

                Capt. Wm. McGilvery his X mark
                Eye yum mo tub ba his X mark

                Toh pul cah his X mark
                Par sha muh stub ba his X mark

                Pis tul lut ub ba his X mark
                James Brown his X mark

                Levi Colbert his X mark
                Im oke leo sher ho oi ya his X mark

                Isaac Alberson his X mark
                James Wolf his X mark

                Ib bar ma hut ub bee his X mark
                Took lub ba his X mark

                Tam she cah his X mark
                Il bar ma hub ba his X mark

                Ah to co wah his X mark
                Nin uck as ba his X mark

                Co chub ba his X mark
                E mub ba his X mark

                Im mer ho tut ub ba his X mark
                Cah nar wo kes his X mark

                Pitman Colbert
                I yar hun tub ba his X mark

                Ish tim mo tut ca his X mark
                Ib bar ma hut ub ba his X mark

                Oke lar nar nub ba his X mark
                Titch ar pla his X mark

                Chick asaw nar nub ba his X mark
                Il lar fa nub ba his X mark

                Ful lar mo tub ba his X mark
                O on tim ie est ub ba his X mark

                Fo lo ta cher his X mark
                Pis tor lub ba his X mark

                Ber ha cut ub ba his X mark
                To calth ho cha his X mark

                Er thli ca his X mark
                E lup ar ba his X mark

                O on ter ha cut ub ba his X mark
                Wo nie a pa his X mark

                Kin hi cha his X mark
                Shup paw wa his X mark

                Oke lar shuck ub ba Jr his X mark
                Im mer ho tut ub ba his X mark

                Cun mush cash ker his X mark
                Im mer ho bee his X mark

                Ish ta ki o kit ub ba his X mark

                James Glover his X mark

                Oki lar e lub ba his X mark

                Thos. Sealy his X mark

                Ehi a ctul ub ba his X mark

                Er far mer his X mark

                Hush tah tah hub bee his X mark

                Cha ke war tub ba his X mark

                Chick cub ba his X mark

                Signed in the presence of the following persons
                Dougherty Colbert Secty for the Chickasaws
                John L Allen
                John A Bynum
                Wm. H. Allen of Miss
                Jno. D Terrell of Alabama
                Alexander Colbert

                Chickasaw Exploring Party of 1831 & 31, ?? 1832:
                [M-234 Roll #136]

                Statement Showing the number of Chickasaws composing the Exploring party in 1830 & 31.

                No of Days
                Amount

                and pay
                Paid
                Amount
                Whole

                Name
                Per day
                them
                Unpaid
                Amount

                1. Levi Colbert
                134 @ 2.00
                128.80
                147.20
                268.00

                2. Ei-o-che-tubbe
                134 @ 2.00
                179.30
                88.70
                268.00

                3. In-mah-hoo-la-tubbe
                134 @ 2.00
                85.07
                182.93
                268.00

                4. Thomas Sely
                134 @ 2.00
                197.66
                70.34
                268.00

                5. Ish-ta-hi-ya-ha-tubbe
                134 @ 2.00
                76.24
                191.76
                268.00

                6. Ah-to-ko-mah
                134 @ 2.00
                68.28
                198.72
                268.00

                7. Pitman Colbert
                134 @ 2.00
                102.32
                165.68
                268.00

                8. Newberry
                134 @ 2.00
                116.87
                151.13
                268.00

                9. James Brown
                134 @ 2.00
                65.45
                202.55
                268.00

                10. Oh-hu-cubbe
                134 @ 2.00
                73.61
                194.39
                268.00

                11. Ish-ket-ta-ka
                134 @ 2.00
                75.70
                192.30
                268.00

                12. Oke-lab-ha-cubbe
                134 @ 2.00
                91.37
                176.63
                268.00

                13. Elap-link-bab-tubbe
                134 @ 2.00
                99.57
                168.43
                268.00

                14. Shu-ma-cha-be
                134 @ 2.00
                73.70
                194.30
                268.00

                15. Kin-hoi-cha
                22 @ 2.00
                47.81

                44.00

                16. Henry Love
                52 @ 2.00
                2.50
                101.50
                104.00

                1950 @ 2.00
                1,477.25
                2,426.56
                3,900.00

                deduct over payment to No. 15.

                3.81

                1,273.44

                To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comCC: CSinghWorthington@...: csinghworthington@...: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:02:23 -0800Subject: RE: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family

                Dear John,You are probably right about your Braxton lineageto James Braxton, Jr. Linda Eckerd, who hascorresponded with you, or Kenny Braxton, who has aBraxton website, would be the most likely of ourfamily to have early photos. Kenny has photos postedon his web. Linda has sent me some of hers. One thatparticularly stands out for me is that of Elias A.Braxton, my cousin who wrote from his home in Texas tothe editor of the Greenville Daily Reflector in 1911[Pitt County Family Researchers' Genealogy Quarterly,Feb. 1995 I believe is the issue in which that letterwith his family information in it is contained]. I was so impressed that I copied that photo andshowed it to my family. My younger brother could behis clone.Back to you shortly,Carol--- John Meyer <hookipajohn@...> wrote:> > I am researching so many parts of my family I forget> sometimes if I responded to this e-mail. > > 1. RICHARD R.1 ALLEN was born Abt. 1768 in North> Carolina, and died Bef. 25 May 1840 in Madison> County,> MS. He married (1) MARY BRAXTON Bef. 1786 in Dickson> County, TN (Originally Part Of NC). She was> born in NC, and died Bef. 1835 in Madison County,> MS. He married (2) JANE FOSTER 24 Aug 1835 in> Madison County, MS. She was born 1785, and died 11> Nov 1865 in Madison County, MS.> > As you can see my Allen and Braxton family merge in> Dickson County Tenn. I am assuming that this must be> the daughter of James Braxton Jr. I would love to> have a Braxton family group sheet to find my 5th> great grandmother and then to see her family.> > John> > > To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom:> ljeckerd@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:03:31> +0000Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: Braxton family> > > > > Hi John,I'm confused, are you descended from Lacey> Braxton? If so, he only had 3 sons by Elizabeth> Parker... Marion, Elbert and Elias (my> grgrgrandfather). Elias is the only one who lived to> have children. Lacey had 6 more children with 2nd> wife Lizzina Tripp; John M., Eliza, Mary, Patrick,> James and Friedonia. Lacey's family did move to> Tennessee. Elias's family mostly moved on to Texas.> Elias married Margaret J. Epps and had 8 children.> Let me know if I can help you with this line. Linda> E.--- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, John Meyer> <hookipajohn@...> wrote:>> Surnames, Allen, Braxton,> Johnston, White, Minyard, Harrod, Holland, Lee,> Davis, and other's> > > Thank you very much. You> brought exciting news.> > I would be thrilled to> hear anything about the Braxton's family line.> > I> would like to see if I have correct what you have> told me so far, It all fits> with the rest of my> family.> > My 6th great grandmother Mary Braxton's> father was 7. James Braxton Jr.> James Braxton Jr's> father was 8. James Braxton Sr.> James Braxton Sr's> parent's were 9. Lacey Braxton and first wife> Elizabeth Parker.> Lacey Braxton m. 2. Lizina Tripp,> daughter of Arthur Tripp.> Lacey Braxton and second> wife had a son Elias Braxton.> Lacey Braxton's> parent's were 10. John Braxton m. Hannah unknown.> >> From another posting I have the date for John> Braxton abt. 1710 Scotland.> > John> > > > > > > >__________________________________________________________> You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger> and join the i�m Initiative now.> http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGLM> > [Non-text portions of this message have been> removed]> > > > Pitt County Historical Society: > http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/ > > CHRONICLES VOL.II AVAILABLE!! Click here for> description and ordering information:> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/files/> > Click here to view CHRONICLE PHOTO, use SlideShow:> http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/lst > > RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form: > >http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm> > Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:> http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/> > http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/> > We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to> join our dynamic group if you are interested in> genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all> Eastern and Coastal North Carolina counties.> GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir > > Yahoo! Groups Links> > > > > __________________________________________________________Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              • Linda E
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 26, 2007
                  Hi Carol and John,

                  Interesting post John. I haven't done much research in the last year
                  or so and if I remember right Carol, that you are descended from
                  Lacey's brother John Braxton and Sarah. I'm not sure which line John
                  (Meyer's) line is though. I'm sure it isn't through Lacey though and
                  I don't have the brother's lines in my data base. His best bet is to
                  go to Kenny Braxton's web site or to ancestry.com or rootsweb and
                  find which line he links up with. I'm sure that Lacey is the son of
                  John and Hannah, and John is the son of Thomas. But from there on
                  up, proof is needed to see if Thomas is the son of John and Mary or
                  what that relationship is but sure there is a relationship... and if
                  Priscilla was in fact his wife. (Thomas did have a son named Thomas
                  with presumably Priscilla) Haven't a clue what happened to him or
                  Henerick for that matter. Think there is some research on Phelix.

                  I would love to see your copies of the land records for Thomas. And
                  the notes you have on Priscilla and Thomas, the name Thomas wasn't
                  used much in any lines I don't think. However there was a William in
                  Chatham Co. N.C. who had a son Thomas about the same time frame.

                  Somewhere in my original research notes I did find census reports and
                  or deeds with the names of John and Hannah's children and he did have
                  a son John and think you and I concluded that it is your John. When
                  I get time I'll look through my notes and see what "proof" I had.

                  ______________

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 27, 2007
                    Dear Linda,
                    Thanks. Yes, I descend from John Braxton and Sarah.
                    One reason for our not having seen the name Thomas
                    passed down in the Pitt County families might be also
                    that like Lacey, sons moved in order to purchase
                    farmland to support their wives and children. I have
                    seen case after case of this being mentioned in family
                    correspondence and legal documents.
                    If I remember correctly also, Priscilla was
                    Priscilla Avery. Widowed with six children to provide
                    for, she had left Wayne County where they had moved to
                    establish their home and returned to Pitt.
                    Having no ties to Wayne except for her husband,
                    she wanted to live out her life near her family.
                    Although she had sought no assistance, from what I
                    gathered, her father took on the role of provider for
                    her and the children.
                    I also read that the Avery name had at this time
                    two spellings. The change was made, not for show but
                    for distinction. It seems that there were so many of
                    this name that the family was concerned about
                    confusion as to who was who. Among themselves, they
                    had agreed to a spelling change for some of the
                    families--interesting eh what?
                    I had never heard of nor read of anyone's having
                    changed the spelling of the surname for this reason.
                    With so many variant spellings in our families, this
                    piece of information really caught my attention.
                    Just in case I have misrecalled my notes, will
                    you check Wayne County for Thomas and Priscilla?
                    The State Library here in Richmond is closed on
                    Mondays. That's why I didn't run down there and go
                    directly to my source.
                    Tomorrow I have a block of time free and can do
                    it myself if I can't easily lay hands on my
                    notes--even though I do keep all my publications and
                    notesbooks in one room. It would be a matter of what
                    pages in which one, and that I don't know offhand not
                    having in my mind which Braxtons were mentioned in
                    which Pitt County Family Researchers' Quarterly or in
                    which Chronicles.
                    Thanks for your Braxton information relative to
                    John's family. It may be there's a tie-in but not
                    through Lacey.
                    I recall that in his letter to the Daily
                    Reflector from 1911 Elias A. Braxton had stated that
                    he thought there were other brothers and sisters whose
                    names he might not have remembered or even known, his
                    having been so young when the family moved to
                    Tennessee.
                    Good to hear from you as always, Carol

                    === message truncated ===

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Linda E
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 27, 2007
                      Hi Carol,

                      I'll be interested to see the Avery/Averitt connection. How did you
                      find that was Priscilla's maiden name? Now will have to check the
                      Wayne County records to see if Thomas was buried there. Which Avery
                      line is she from? Someone has our Hannah(married to John) as "Hannah
                      Lindley". I do find a Hannah Lindley married to a Thomas Braxton
                      from Orange county in the same time frame. I think I checked into
                      that a long time ago and found that branch went to Illinois and is
                      not a direct connection to our John and Mary Braxton line that I can
                      find. Of course there could be another Hannah Lindley, a Wm. Braxton
                      is married to a Mary Lindley in Chatham Co. Have to connect more
                      dots! Sorting out the Braxton branches is a giant jig saw puzzle! I
                      did look in Wayne County some, but haven't found anything yet. I
                      don't have access to ancestry.com anymore.

                      Yes, families did spell names differently for different reasons. In
                      my Finley line I found Findley's, etc. Guess in Scotland a "D" was
                      added for those who lived on one side of the River Dee. Of course
                      sometimes the census takers spelled names phonetically and made a
                      real mess... like my Kerr ancesters, I have to look for Carr, Karr,
                      etc. My maiden name is Buginnis, I found out lately that in
                      Lithuania there are no double n's in the language... the extra n was
                      added in the 30's to sound more Irish so my uncles could get jobs in
                      Chicago, one uncle even changed his name to McGinnis. My fathers
                      birth certificate was spelled with one n. It was really fun finding
                      the name at Ellis Island... there was a z in it to sound more Russian!

                      ______________

                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 3, 2007
                        Dear Linda,
                        I also found records of a daughter of James Braxton
                        who married an Avery around 1810. Her new husband left
                        to fight in the War of 1812 shortly after the
                        marriage. This couple also settled in Wayne County. I
                        believed that she filed for his Pension in Pitt. I
                        think that in her Petition for the Pension she said
                        that they had lived most of their married life in
                        Wayne but had married in Pitt at the home of her
                        father James Braxton.
                        I do not know which James Braxton this man was. I
                        imagine, though, that she would have had to submit
                        proof of her marriage to her Avery husband in order to
                        claim on his record--that being the case in all the
                        other Pension claims I have read the supporting
                        documents for.
                        That being the case I imagine, too, that the names
                        of both her parents would have appeared in support of
                        that record on her marriage certificate, the more so
                        as the marriage took place at her father's house.
                        If I can access this piece of information, it could
                        very well fill in gaps in the early Braxton line for
                        many of us.
                        Since I do not know which James was the father of
                        this young woman, I also do not know who her siblings
                        were. I don't have access to Wayne County records. If
                        you would check that end, I'll check for the Pitt
                        records at the State library here in Richmond.
                        Later, Carol

                        === message truncated ===

                        Be a better pen pal.
                      • adam_cscott
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 27, 2008
                          Hello friends!

                          regarding the statement "my Allen and Braxton family merge in
                          Dickson County Tenn"...

                          Did you know that Dickson Co., TN has a new heritage book? It is
                          one of the finest Heritage Books ever. The website is:

                          http://www.dicksontnheritage.com

                          Enjoy!

                          <csinghworthington@...> wrote:

                          > Dear John,
                          > You are probably right about your Braxton lineage
                          > to James Braxton, Jr. Linda Eckerd, who has
                          > corresponded with you, or Kenny Braxton, who has a
                          > Braxton website, would be the most likely of our
                          > family to have early photos. Kenny has photos posted
                          > on his web. Linda has sent me some of hers. One that
                          > particularly stands out for me is that of Elias A.
                          > Braxton, my cousin who wrote from his home in Texas to
                          > the editor of the Greenville Daily Reflector in 1911
                          > [Pitt County Family Researchers' Genealogy Quarterly,
                          > Feb. 1995 I believe is the issue in which that letter
                          > with his family information in it is contained].
                          > I was so impressed that I copied that photo and
                          > showed it to my family. My younger brother could be
                          > his clone.
                          > Back to you shortly,
                          > Carol
                          > --- John Meyer <hookipajohn@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > I am researching so many parts of my family I forget
                          > > sometimes if I responded to this e-mail.
                          > >
                          > > 1. RICHARD R.1 ALLEN was born Abt. 1768 in North
                          > > Carolina, and died Bef. 25 May 1840 in Madison
                          > > County,
                          > > MS. He married (1) MARY BRAXTON Bef. 1786 in Dickson
                          > > County, TN (Originally Part Of NC). She was
                          > > born in NC, and died Bef. 1835 in Madison County,
                          > > MS. He married (2) JANE FOSTER 24 Aug 1835 in
                          > > Madison County, MS. She was born 1785, and died 11
                          > > Nov 1865 in Madison County, MS.
                          > >
                          > > As you can see my Allen and Braxton family merge in
                          > > Dickson County Tenn. I am assuming that this must be
                          > > the daughter of James Braxton Jr. I would love to
                          > > have a Braxton family group sheet to find my 5th
                          > > great grandmother and then to see her family.
                          > >
                          > > John

                        • John Meyer
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 27, 2008
                            Thank you Adam. I wish I had known about it when they were putting it together.

                            John

                            To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom: adam_cscott@...: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 16:32:00 +0000Subject: [genpcncfir] Allen & Braxton family in Dickson Co., TN

                            Hello friends!regarding the statement "my Allen and Braxton family merge inDickson County Tenn"...Did you know that Dickson Co., TN has a new heritage book? It is one of the finest Heritage Books ever. The website is:http://www.dicksontnheritage.comEnjoy!--- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:>> Dear John,> You are probably right about your Braxton lineage> to James Braxton, Jr. Linda Eckerd, who has> corresponded with you, or Kenny Braxton, who has a> Braxton website, would be the most likely of our> family to have early photos. Kenny has photos posted> on his web. Linda has sent me some of hers. One that> particularly stands out for me is that of Elias A.> Braxton, my cousin who wrote from his home in Texas to> the editor of the Greenville Daily Reflector in 1911> [Pitt County Family Researchers' Genealogy Quarterly,> Feb. 1995 I believe is the issue in which that letter> with his family information in it is contained]. > I was so impressed that I copied that photo and> showed it to my family. My younger brother could be> his clone.> Back to you shortly,> Carol> --- John Meyer <hookipajohn@...> wrote:> > > > > I am researching so many parts of my family I forget> > sometimes if I responded to this e-mail. > > > > 1. RICHARD R.1 ALLEN was born Abt. 1768 in North> > Carolina, and died Bef. 25 May 1840 in Madison> > County,> > MS. He married (1) MARY BRAXTON Bef. 1786 in Dickson> > County, TN (Originally Part Of NC). She was> > born in NC, and died Bef. 1835 in Madison County,> > MS. He married (2) JANE FOSTER 24 Aug 1835 in> > Madison County, MS. She was born 1785, and died 11> > Nov 1865 in Madison County, MS.> > > > As you can see my Allen and Braxton family merge in> > Dickson County Tenn. I am assuming that this must be> > the daughter of James Braxton Jr. I would love to> > have a Braxton family group sheet to find my 5th> > great grandmother and then to see her family.> > > > John> >

                          • Linda E
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 28, 2008
                              Hi Carol,

                              As far as I know my line did not go to Dickson Co. TN. Lacey & son
                              Elias A. Braxton went to Hawkins to Warren (1870), Cannon (1880),
                              Lincoln and Marshall Counties in TN. One of Lacey's sons by Livina
                              went to Coffee Co., then Elias went on to Parker Co. Texas. The
                              photos of Elias and his children Laura (my grgrandmother) and John
                              are in the Photo section here in Kenny's album.

                              Linda E.

                              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "adam_cscott" <adam_cscott@...>

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 30, 2008
                                Dear Linda,
                                Thanks for adding to our discussion of these
                                Braxtons. I recall reading in one of our Quarterlies
                                of the Pitt County Family Researchers of a Braxton son
                                who had moved to Tennessee to buy land to farm so that
                                he could support his family.
                                His return home to visit had been duly noted in the
                                local paper whose reporter had interviewed this
                                returning visitor.
                                The returning Braxton had come back home in hopes
                                of finding affordable land in order to move his family
                                back to Pitt.
                                It seems that with his parents getting older and
                                his children growing up he wanted to be near his
                                parents in their old age. Unable on this visit still
                                to find enough acreage to support himself, he went
                                back once more to his Tennessee home.
                                I'll check my Quarterlies to pin point which family
                                this selection was located.
                                Later, Carol

                                Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 31, 2008
                                  Dear Linda,
                                  The rest of the story comes back to me now. What I
                                  did not know was what part of Tennessee Lacey and his
                                  new wife settled in.
                                  I also do not know whether in Tennessee as in
                                  North Carolina some of those counties changed
                                  boundaries over time. Additionally, most maps we see
                                  displayed in classrooms all across the country do not
                                  give the county names of any county in any state.
                                  The same applies to foreign countries. Imagine my
                                  chagrin when a Mexican lady asked me what I meant when
                                  I referred to Mexico, the state or the Federal
                                  District?
                                  Of course, we have Washington, D.C. and Washington
                                  State, so the question by itself was no big deal. The
                                  big deal was that nobody in my whole life, despite my
                                  educational level, had ever let it out that Mexico was
                                  divided into states.
                                  I do know that many people, unlike me, do know
                                  geographical facts very well. I am willing to bet also
                                  that you probably do know approximately the distance
                                  between Dickson County and the counties where some of
                                  our kin first settled.
                                  Very possibly, another Braxton family than our kin
                                  settled in areas of Tennessee for the same reasons
                                  ours did.
                                  I was wondering if perhaps the author of the
                                  e-mail given enough information from us might be able
                                  to find the origins of his own line.
                                  Despite my years of research, I still have gaps in
                                  my lineage before 1850.
                                  Perhaps one day by chance somebody will provide
                                  additional information, as Elias did in his 1915
                                  letter, that will answer some of our own unanswered
                                  questions.
                                  In the meantime, I wait for breaks in my work
                                  schedule that will let me get back to Greenville to
                                  pursue additional leads through courthouse records and
                                  library resources.
                                  The latest from our Virginia Braxtons is that my
                                  nephew Timothy Howard Braxton, son of my brother
                                  Howard Worthington Braxton, has started his own
                                  Braxton web page.
                                  As soon as I get a chance, I will access his site
                                  and let you know if he has information that we do not.
                                  My brother Howard has known through his work for
                                  years a Braxton family that moved here from Pitt. We
                                  have corresponded from time to time. I'll get back to
                                  you to share any new information.
                                  As always, it is good to hear from you.
                                  Later, Carol

                                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?