Re: [genpcncfir] Harris

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
      Dear Judy,
      I have read the information on the Harris's of whom
      you speak in Chronicles. I do not know offhand if this
      is a branch of the same family or an unrelated line.
      I've been doing research this morning. If I don't
      find the answer in a hop, skip, and jump here, I'll
      get back to you. There are several leads I can pursue
      without going through my own electronic files.
      I had hoped yesterday that Chronicles would answer
      that question as I ,too, was curious about that, but
      had no luck.
      Later, Carol
      --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

      > Hi Carol,
      >
      > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to
      > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not have
      > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris line
      > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or, are
      > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
      > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
      > the Ayden Harris line?
      >
      > Judy

      Make Yahoo! your homepage.
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • amaryllish@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
        Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Ruel Harris from the Kinston,
        Lenoir County area? He would have been born around 1925-1930 maybe. I just
        remember my mother saying some of the family was going fishing with cousin Ruel. I
        don't remember anything else. Any comment is welcome. Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
          Dear Judy,
          By the way, the parents of Henry Clay Harris, who
          died December 31, 1919 are J.S. Harris and Ida
          Proctor. Death Record Greenville, Vol 6, p. 753.
          Later, Carol
          --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

          > Hi Carol,
          >
          > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to
          > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not have
          > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris line
          > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or, are
          > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
          > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
          > the Ayden Harris line?
          >
          > Judy

          Be a better pen pal.
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
            Dear Amy,
            I've checked on him this morning. I had hunched
            that Willoughby was in his family line [maternal line
            of Nichols that I was researching] and I was right on
            target.
            Back to you with chapter and verse.
            Carol
            --- amaryllish@... wrote:

            > Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Ruel
            > Harris from the Kinston,
            > Lenoir County area? He would have been born around
            > 1925-1930 maybe. I just
            > remember my mother saying some of the family was
            > going fishing with cousin Ruel. I
            > don't remember anything else. Any comment is
            > welcome. Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

            Be a better pen pal.
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
              Dear Judy,
              CORRECTION: Henry Clay was the son James Franklin
              Harris and Sarah Briley! So much for keeping names in
              the family!
              I knew that the Death Record would be accurate,
              but then I didn't know how to account for the
              discrepancy unless there were two different men named
              James here, and there were!
              Shortly, Carol

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                Thanks Carol, I look forward to hearing from you. Amy

              • DAVID SMITH
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                  j s harris was the SON of a Henry clay harris. I live
                  in J S Harris house on Rams horn rd. Would love to
                  share any info.

                  > Dear Judy,
                  > By the way, the parents of Henry Clay Harris,
                  > who
                  > died December 31, 1919 are J.S. Harris and Ida
                  > Proctor. Death Record Greenville, Vol 6, p. 753.
                  > Later, Carol
                  > --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Hi Carol,
                  > >
                  > > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went
                  > > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not
                  > have
                  > > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris
                  > line
                  > > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or,
                  > are
                  > > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
                  > > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
                  > > the Ayden Harris line?
                  > >
                  > > Judy

                  > > removed]

                  > Be a better pen pal.
                  > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See
                  > how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                  Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Judy N. Lewis
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                    Carol......These are on the "wrong side of the river" to tie into my Harris line.  I'll bow out of the conversation and let the right Harris folks take over.....Judy

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                      Dear Judy,
                      Both lines are kin to me through at least 4 lines:
                      Worthington-Harrington; Worthington-Tyson;
                      Braxton-Harrington; Worthington-Cox; and possibly [I
                      haven't checked this yet] McGowan-Vincent and of
                      course Harris-Nichols and Harris-McGowan.
                      If the lines didn't start off being kin, they had
                      to end up kin through their common marriages.
                      Now, my Henry Clay Harris b. March 1844 had parents
                      James Franklin Harris and Sarah A. Briley; it was he
                      who married Henrietta Louis Albritton b. Jan 1840,
                      daughter of Benjamen Bell Albritton & Catherine
                      Hatton.
                      She Catherine Hatton was probably kin to the two
                      Hatton sisters, one of whom married Martin Moore and
                      is my great grandmother from that line. The other
                      Hatton sister married the father of my great uncle by
                      marriage Robert Carney who married Jenny McGowan,
                      sister of Lemuel McGowan, Jr., daughter of Lemuel
                      McGowan, Sr., and aunt of Jenny Secession McGowan my
                      grandmother, and sister of my great grandmother Jacky
                      Ann McGowan. Jacky Ann is buried in the Carney family
                      cemetery.
                      My Martin Moore and his Hatton wife were the
                      parents of Perlina Moore wife of Lemuel McGowan, Sr.
                      These were the parents of Jacky Ann McGowan, Lemuel
                      McGowan, Jr., Glasgow McGowan, Jenny [whom some call
                      Jeanette, though Mama never called her that], Mary,
                      Nancy, Patience, Margaret, and Laura McGowan--and I
                      may have inadvertently left out somebody.
                      Henry Clay Harris born 28 March 1869 died 31 Dec.
                      1919 was the son of James Samuel Harris & Ida Proctor.
                      James Samuel Harris was a brother of Martha Ann
                      Harris. He named a son in honor of their father.
                      Since the online Death Record does not give date
                      of birth, I could not have known from that Record that
                      I was confusing two men named Henry Clay Harris.
                      This line also has multiple ties to both sides of
                      my family. To put it shortly, both could come to the
                      Worthington Family Reunion as direct descendants.
                      There could be a direct Harris descendant also
                      linking these two families just as there was a direct
                      link between my Braxton line and that of Kenny
                      Braxton. Nobody from my direct line, however, had made
                      that connection, and I came on the scene unable to
                      find that I had even been born, that Mama had ever
                      married, that Daddy himself ever existed, and that
                      none of the four of us children existed either.
                      From this, you can well imagine that I was
                      completely overwhelmed with where even to begin. I
                      knew only that I needed to exist for the sake of kin
                      coming after me, if for no other reason. They deserved
                      better from me.
                      Again, I apologize for confusing the two men named
                      Henry Clay Harris. The one who was father of Martha
                      Ann Harris, my great aunt and wife first of Lemuel
                      McGowan, Jr. and second of James Harris, was born in
                      1844, the other in 1869 . I do not know if this
                      younger Henry Clay ever married.
                      Later, Carol

                      --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Carol,
                      >
                      > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to
                      > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not have
                      > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris line
                      > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or, are
                      > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
                      > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
                      > the Ayden Harris line?
                      >
                      > Judy

                      Be a better pen pal.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                        Dear David,
                        This same James Samuel Harris was my great uncle,
                        son of Henry Clay Harris, my great, great uncle by
                        marriage. His sister was Martha Ann Harris who married
                        first my great uncle Lemuel McGowan, Jr. by whom they
                        had a son Claudius McGowan. With the untimely death of
                        my great uncle, Martha Ann married James Harris, and
                        he and his brother raised my young cousin who became a
                        doctor in Plymouth, North Carolina. After the death of
                        James, Martha Ann moved to Plymouth, North Carolina to
                        live with Claudius and his two girls, his own wife
                        having died suddenly.
                        The next time I am in North Carolina, I would love
                        to see your house. I am sure that just seeing it in
                        passing would create memories.
                        Thanks, Carol
                        --- DAVID SMITH <carolinaguyesq@...> wrote:

                        > j s harris was the SON of a Henry clay harris. I
                        > live
                        > in J S Harris house on Rams horn rd. Would love to
                        > share any info.
                        > --- Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Dear Judy,
                        > > By the way, the parents of Henry Clay Harris,
                        > > who
                        > > died December 31, 1919 are J.S. Harris and Ida
                        > > Proctor. Death Record Greenville, Vol 6, p. 753.
                        > > Later, Carol
                        > > --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > Hi Carol,
                        > > >
                        > > > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and
                        > went
                        > > > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not
                        > > have
                        > > > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris
                        > > line
                        > > > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or,
                        > > are
                        > > > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
                        > > > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied
                        > > > the Ayden Harris line?
                        > > >
                        > > > Judy

                        > > > removed]

                        > > Be a better pen pal.
                        > > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See
                        > > how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                        > Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                        > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                        Be a better pen pal.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                          Dear Judy,
                          Who was the original ancestor in the colonies of
                          our other Harris?
                          Charles Franklin with his McLawhorn wife came from
                          Ireland according to the online information.
                          The Harris line of Henry Clay Harris and Jacob
                          Harris his father--where does it begin?
                          I truly feel that both lines have become through
                          marriage so intertwined that they must now be kin by
                          birth as well.
                          For example, my cousin Charles Adrian Worthington
                          who married Mary Harrington is related to the Harris
                          line through Paul Harrington.
                          My Braxton great aunt Penelope Braxton married
                          James Harrington around 1859 and had children by him.
                          Another of this line married Andrew Worthington. The
                          line also descends from the Tysons. My great, great,
                          great, great grandmother Gracie Tyson wife of Robert
                          Forbes and parents of my great, great, great
                          grandmother Elizabeth Forbes descends from this line.
                          She married Jeremiah Worthington.
                          Is this the line that you have found not related
                          to yours?
                          Or are you saying that the line of Martha Ann
                          Harris is not related to yours?
                          Later, Carol

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                            Dear Amy,
                            Do you know his maternal line? I am thinking that
                            it was Willoughby. The name "Ruel" has passed down
                            through that line and through the Harris line that
                            includes my kin.
                            I do have Kinston relatives as well as Ayden,
                            Bethel, Greenville, Stokes, and Winterville kin from
                            earlier generations.
                            Later, Carol
                            --- amaryllish@... wrote:

                            > Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Ruel
                            > Harris from the Kinston,
                            > Lenoir County area? He would have been born around
                            > 1925-1930 maybe. I just
                            > remember my mother saying some of the family was
                            > going fishing with cousin Ruel. I
                            > don't remember anything else. Any comment is
                            > welcome. Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

                          • DAVID SMITH
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                              you are very welcome to come by carol. i have spoken
                              with dot worthington, who grew up in the home, and was
                              hoping she could come share more info, but i have not
                              heard back from her. the house celebrate's it's 100th
                              anniversary next year, but unfortunately lacks much of
                              its historic character, having been greatly altered
                              through the years it now looks like tara on the
                              outside and an average modern home on the
                              inside....henry clay and his wife used to be burried
                              in the grave yard accross the road, but i understand
                              their graves were moved.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                Dear David,
                                Thanks! It's hard for us out-of-staters to get a
                                free day to walk in the footsteps of our kin. So often
                                even those living in state get caught up by the daily
                                chores that they keep forgetting the things they meant
                                to do.
                                I am hoping for a free weekday or a fee weekend
                                so that I can travel and visit.
                                I always give weeks in advance notice of my
                                plans. Right now, I'm working 7 days a week and
                                checking the horizon for a break somewhere.
                                As I said, even seeing the house from the outside
                                and breathing the same air would mean a great deal to
                                me.
                                Later, Carol

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                  Carol,

                                  The Harris line of Henry Clay Harris is the line that I have no connection with and I have no information on these people.

                                  The Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn are my third great grandparents through their son Robert and Robert's daughter, Rosetta who married William "Bill" Jones from Ayden.  Charles would be our first Harris to be found in America.

                                  I have found no information that connects these two Harris lines.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                    Dear Judy,
                                    I'm with you on that. I don't either.
                                    One additional question for you, Marion Harris who
                                    married my great aunt Laura McGowan, was he of the
                                    line of Henry Clay Harris?
                                    Somewhere in my notes, I believe that I had found
                                    his mother to be named Susan.
                                    I'll go back to my online records here in a minute
                                    just to check on myself. My notes on that are at home.
                                    I just got back from my usual Monday evening nursing
                                    assignment and was away from the computer fighting
                                    Richmond traffic. It was the more interesting because
                                    of stalled vehicles at two different locations on
                                    Broad Street. Cars and trucks were flying on either
                                    side of them or stuck behind them. I held my breath
                                    thinking that any minute one of them would be creamed
                                    and even rolled down my window to caution the driver
                                    of one to please be careful; the poor soul was outside
                                    his car standing to the side in the near dusk--a young
                                    man with his cell phone to his ear talking a mile a
                                    minute.
                                    Of course, there was no Motorists' assistants or
                                    police in sight!
                                    Later, Carol
                                    --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                                    > Carol,
                                    >
                                    > The Harris line of Henry Clay Harris is the line
                                    > that I have no connection with and I have no
                                    > information on these people.
                                    >
                                    > The Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn are my third
                                    > great grandparents through their son Robert and
                                    > Robert's daughter, Rosetta who married William
                                    > "Bill" Jones from Ayden.  Charles would be our first
                                    > Harris to be found in America.
                                    >
                                    > I have found no information that connects these two
                                    > Harris lines.
                                    >
                                    > Judy

                                    Be a better pen pal.
                                  • amaryllish@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                      To be honest with you, I bearly remember the man. My mother was a Turner and
                                      married Jack Wainwright. She was born in Lenoir County. Her father was
                                      William "Willie" Thomas Turner 1875-1930 married 1896 to Estella Carlisle
                                      1877-1916. He was born in Duplin County and died in Nash County. She was born and
                                      died in Lenoir County. He is buried in Fairview Cemetery in LaGrange, NC and she
                                      is buried in Parrott Cemetery on Falling Creek Road, Lenoir County. I really
                                      don't know where the Harris' fit in. My mother had a habit of calling people
                                      cousin even if they were way, way out there in kin. She also was a lovely
                                      lady that never saw a stranger. Amy

                                    • Judy N. Lewis
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                        Carol,

                                        Alas, Pitt County is not the county of my youth.......the traffic here is horrible, too!!

                                        No, Marion is not from the Henry Clay Harris line.

                                        Marion Robert Harris is the son of Robert Harris and Susan Nichols.  He is a brother to my great grandmother Rosetta Harris Jones.  Marion is buried in the Reedy Branch Church Cemetery.  From the "Cemetery Survey of Pitt County" Book:  Marion R. Harris b. Augsut 20, 1848 d. December 8, 1922 and Laura E. Harris b. September 3, 1869 d. December 7, 1943.

                                        Judy

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                          Dear Judy,
                                          Marion married Laura McGowan, my great aunt. Ok,
                                          he is from your line!
                                          Look, I've been struck by the fact that the name
                                          "Gray" as a middle name occurs in both families. Is
                                          that possibly just a coincidence, or should I look
                                          deeper?
                                          Of course, "Franklin" and "George" appearing in a
                                          line would not speak to any particular family's being
                                          related to another as sons were commonly named for
                                          presidents and other political figures.
                                          "Marion" would likewise fall into the same
                                          category because of Frances Marion or "Swamp Fox," who
                                          was one of the early heroes of my older brother.
                                          I would not have been surprised had he named his
                                          own first son that instead of "Christopher."
                                          Uncanny as it seems, though, and completely
                                          without his knowledge of the fact, we have a Braxton
                                          great uncle named Christopher, Christopher Columbus
                                          Braxton and a great, great, great, great grandmother
                                          named Hannah, though she was not a Braxton but instead
                                          married John Braxton. My brother has a granddaughter
                                          named Hannah. My sister also has a son named
                                          "Christopher," and she, too, did not know of our
                                          Braxton ancestor.
                                          I'm still trying to learn more about both Harris
                                          families. Thanks for helping me out. It's so good to
                                          have a chance to hear from you.
                                          Later, Carol
                                          --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                                          > Carol,
                                          >
                                          > Alas, Pitt County is not the county of my
                                          > youth.......the traffic here is horrible, too!!
                                          >
                                          > No, Marion is not from the Henry Clay Harris line.
                                          >
                                          > Marion Robert Harris is the son of Robert Harris and
                                          > Susan Nichols.  He is a brother to my great
                                          > grandmother Rosetta Harris Jones.  Marion is buried
                                          > in the Reedy Branch Church Cemetery.  From the
                                          > "Cemetery Survey of Pitt County" Book:  Marion R.
                                          > Harris b. Augsut 20, 1848 d. December 8, 1922 and
                                          > Laura E. Harris b. September 3, 1869 d. December 7,
                                          > 1943.
                                          >
                                          > Judy

                                          === message truncated ===

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                            Dear Amy,
                                            My mother was the same. That makes us kin in spirit
                                            anyway.
                                            I will see what I can find on Ruel Harris and get
                                            back to you when I can place him. I have volumes of
                                            material at home that I can check.
                                            Later, Carol