Harris

  • Judy N. Lewis
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
      Hi Carol,

      I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to the Chronicles and read the articles.  I do not have these Harris names in my FTM.  Does this Harris line tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn?  Or, are they the Harris line on "the other side of the river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to the Ayden Harris line?

      Judy

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
        Dear Judy,
        I have read the information on the Harris's of whom
        you speak in Chronicles. I do not know offhand if this
        is a branch of the same family or an unrelated line.
        I've been doing research this morning. If I don't
        find the answer in a hop, skip, and jump here, I'll
        get back to you. There are several leads I can pursue
        without going through my own electronic files.
        I had hoped yesterday that Chronicles would answer
        that question as I ,too, was curious about that, but
        had no luck.
        Later, Carol
        --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

        > Hi Carol,
        >
        > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to
        > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not have
        > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris line
        > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or, are
        > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
        > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
        > the Ayden Harris line?
        >
        > Judy

        Make Yahoo! your homepage.
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • amaryllish@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
          Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Ruel Harris from the Kinston,
          Lenoir County area? He would have been born around 1925-1930 maybe. I just
          remember my mother saying some of the family was going fishing with cousin Ruel. I
          don't remember anything else. Any comment is welcome. Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
            Dear Judy,
            By the way, the parents of Henry Clay Harris, who
            died December 31, 1919 are J.S. Harris and Ida
            Proctor. Death Record Greenville, Vol 6, p. 753.
            Later, Carol
            --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

            > Hi Carol,
            >
            > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to
            > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not have
            > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris line
            > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or, are
            > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
            > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
            > the Ayden Harris line?
            >
            > Judy

            Be a better pen pal.
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
              Dear Amy,
              I've checked on him this morning. I had hunched
              that Willoughby was in his family line [maternal line
              of Nichols that I was researching] and I was right on
              target.
              Back to you with chapter and verse.
              Carol
              --- amaryllish@... wrote:

              > Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Ruel
              > Harris from the Kinston,
              > Lenoir County area? He would have been born around
              > 1925-1930 maybe. I just
              > remember my mother saying some of the family was
              > going fishing with cousin Ruel. I
              > don't remember anything else. Any comment is
              > welcome. Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

              Be a better pen pal.
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                Dear Judy,
                CORRECTION: Henry Clay was the son James Franklin
                Harris and Sarah Briley! So much for keeping names in
                the family!
                I knew that the Death Record would be accurate,
                but then I didn't know how to account for the
                discrepancy unless there were two different men named
                James here, and there were!
                Shortly, Carol

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                  Thanks Carol, I look forward to hearing from you. Amy

                • DAVID SMITH
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                    j s harris was the SON of a Henry clay harris. I live
                    in J S Harris house on Rams horn rd. Would love to
                    share any info.

                    > Dear Judy,
                    > By the way, the parents of Henry Clay Harris,
                    > who
                    > died December 31, 1919 are J.S. Harris and Ida
                    > Proctor. Death Record Greenville, Vol 6, p. 753.
                    > Later, Carol
                    > --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi Carol,
                    > >
                    > > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went
                    > > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not
                    > have
                    > > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris
                    > line
                    > > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or,
                    > are
                    > > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
                    > > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
                    > > the Ayden Harris line?
                    > >
                    > > Judy

                    > > removed]

                    > Be a better pen pal.
                    > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See
                    > how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                    Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Judy N. Lewis
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                      Carol......These are on the "wrong side of the river" to tie into my Harris line.  I'll bow out of the conversation and let the right Harris folks take over.....Judy

                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                        Dear Judy,
                        Both lines are kin to me through at least 4 lines:
                        Worthington-Harrington; Worthington-Tyson;
                        Braxton-Harrington; Worthington-Cox; and possibly [I
                        haven't checked this yet] McGowan-Vincent and of
                        course Harris-Nichols and Harris-McGowan.
                        If the lines didn't start off being kin, they had
                        to end up kin through their common marriages.
                        Now, my Henry Clay Harris b. March 1844 had parents
                        James Franklin Harris and Sarah A. Briley; it was he
                        who married Henrietta Louis Albritton b. Jan 1840,
                        daughter of Benjamen Bell Albritton & Catherine
                        Hatton.
                        She Catherine Hatton was probably kin to the two
                        Hatton sisters, one of whom married Martin Moore and
                        is my great grandmother from that line. The other
                        Hatton sister married the father of my great uncle by
                        marriage Robert Carney who married Jenny McGowan,
                        sister of Lemuel McGowan, Jr., daughter of Lemuel
                        McGowan, Sr., and aunt of Jenny Secession McGowan my
                        grandmother, and sister of my great grandmother Jacky
                        Ann McGowan. Jacky Ann is buried in the Carney family
                        cemetery.
                        My Martin Moore and his Hatton wife were the
                        parents of Perlina Moore wife of Lemuel McGowan, Sr.
                        These were the parents of Jacky Ann McGowan, Lemuel
                        McGowan, Jr., Glasgow McGowan, Jenny [whom some call
                        Jeanette, though Mama never called her that], Mary,
                        Nancy, Patience, Margaret, and Laura McGowan--and I
                        may have inadvertently left out somebody.
                        Henry Clay Harris born 28 March 1869 died 31 Dec.
                        1919 was the son of James Samuel Harris & Ida Proctor.
                        James Samuel Harris was a brother of Martha Ann
                        Harris. He named a son in honor of their father.
                        Since the online Death Record does not give date
                        of birth, I could not have known from that Record that
                        I was confusing two men named Henry Clay Harris.
                        This line also has multiple ties to both sides of
                        my family. To put it shortly, both could come to the
                        Worthington Family Reunion as direct descendants.
                        There could be a direct Harris descendant also
                        linking these two families just as there was a direct
                        link between my Braxton line and that of Kenny
                        Braxton. Nobody from my direct line, however, had made
                        that connection, and I came on the scene unable to
                        find that I had even been born, that Mama had ever
                        married, that Daddy himself ever existed, and that
                        none of the four of us children existed either.
                        From this, you can well imagine that I was
                        completely overwhelmed with where even to begin. I
                        knew only that I needed to exist for the sake of kin
                        coming after me, if for no other reason. They deserved
                        better from me.
                        Again, I apologize for confusing the two men named
                        Henry Clay Harris. The one who was father of Martha
                        Ann Harris, my great aunt and wife first of Lemuel
                        McGowan, Jr. and second of James Harris, was born in
                        1844, the other in 1869 . I do not know if this
                        younger Henry Clay ever married.
                        Later, Carol

                        --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Carol,
                        >
                        > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and went to
                        > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not have
                        > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris line
                        > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or, are
                        > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
                        > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied to
                        > the Ayden Harris line?
                        >
                        > Judy

                        Be a better pen pal.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                          Dear David,
                          This same James Samuel Harris was my great uncle,
                          son of Henry Clay Harris, my great, great uncle by
                          marriage. His sister was Martha Ann Harris who married
                          first my great uncle Lemuel McGowan, Jr. by whom they
                          had a son Claudius McGowan. With the untimely death of
                          my great uncle, Martha Ann married James Harris, and
                          he and his brother raised my young cousin who became a
                          doctor in Plymouth, North Carolina. After the death of
                          James, Martha Ann moved to Plymouth, North Carolina to
                          live with Claudius and his two girls, his own wife
                          having died suddenly.
                          The next time I am in North Carolina, I would love
                          to see your house. I am sure that just seeing it in
                          passing would create memories.
                          Thanks, Carol
                          --- DAVID SMITH <carolinaguyesq@...> wrote:

                          > j s harris was the SON of a Henry clay harris. I
                          > live
                          > in J S Harris house on Rams horn rd. Would love to
                          > share any info.
                          > --- Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Dear Judy,
                          > > By the way, the parents of Henry Clay Harris,
                          > > who
                          > > died December 31, 1919 are J.S. Harris and Ida
                          > > Proctor. Death Record Greenville, Vol 6, p. 753.
                          > > Later, Carol
                          > > --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > > Hi Carol,
                          > > >
                          > > > I read your message on Henry Clay Harris and
                          > went
                          > > > the Chronicles and read the articles.?I do not
                          > > have
                          > > > these Harris names in my FTM.?Does this Harris
                          > > line
                          > > > tie into Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn??Or,
                          > > are
                          > > > they the Harris line on "the other side of the
                          > > > river" which to my knowledge have not been tied
                          > > > the Ayden Harris line?
                          > > >
                          > > > Judy

                          > > > removed]

                          > > Be a better pen pal.
                          > > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See
                          > > how. http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                          > Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                          Be a better pen pal.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                            Dear Judy,
                            Who was the original ancestor in the colonies of
                            our other Harris?
                            Charles Franklin with his McLawhorn wife came from
                            Ireland according to the online information.
                            The Harris line of Henry Clay Harris and Jacob
                            Harris his father--where does it begin?
                            I truly feel that both lines have become through
                            marriage so intertwined that they must now be kin by
                            birth as well.
                            For example, my cousin Charles Adrian Worthington
                            who married Mary Harrington is related to the Harris
                            line through Paul Harrington.
                            My Braxton great aunt Penelope Braxton married
                            James Harrington around 1859 and had children by him.
                            Another of this line married Andrew Worthington. The
                            line also descends from the Tysons. My great, great,
                            great, great grandmother Gracie Tyson wife of Robert
                            Forbes and parents of my great, great, great
                            grandmother Elizabeth Forbes descends from this line.
                            She married Jeremiah Worthington.
                            Is this the line that you have found not related
                            to yours?
                            Or are you saying that the line of Martha Ann
                            Harris is not related to yours?
                            Later, Carol

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                              Dear Amy,
                              Do you know his maternal line? I am thinking that
                              it was Willoughby. The name "Ruel" has passed down
                              through that line and through the Harris line that
                              includes my kin.
                              I do have Kinston relatives as well as Ayden,
                              Bethel, Greenville, Stokes, and Winterville kin from
                              earlier generations.
                              Later, Carol
                              --- amaryllish@... wrote:

                              > Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Ruel
                              > Harris from the Kinston,
                              > Lenoir County area? He would have been born around
                              > 1925-1930 maybe. I just
                              > remember my mother saying some of the family was
                              > going fishing with cousin Ruel. I
                              > don't remember anything else. Any comment is
                              > welcome. Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

                            • DAVID SMITH
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                you are very welcome to come by carol. i have spoken
                                with dot worthington, who grew up in the home, and was
                                hoping she could come share more info, but i have not
                                heard back from her. the house celebrate's it's 100th
                                anniversary next year, but unfortunately lacks much of
                                its historic character, having been greatly altered
                                through the years it now looks like tara on the
                                outside and an average modern home on the
                                inside....henry clay and his wife used to be burried
                                in the grave yard accross the road, but i understand
                                their graves were moved.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                  Dear David,
                                  Thanks! It's hard for us out-of-staters to get a
                                  free day to walk in the footsteps of our kin. So often
                                  even those living in state get caught up by the daily
                                  chores that they keep forgetting the things they meant
                                  to do.
                                  I am hoping for a free weekday or a fee weekend
                                  so that I can travel and visit.
                                  I always give weeks in advance notice of my
                                  plans. Right now, I'm working 7 days a week and
                                  checking the horizon for a break somewhere.
                                  As I said, even seeing the house from the outside
                                  and breathing the same air would mean a great deal to
                                  me.
                                  Later, Carol

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                    Carol,

                                    The Harris line of Henry Clay Harris is the line that I have no connection with and I have no information on these people.

                                    The Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn are my third great grandparents through their son Robert and Robert's daughter, Rosetta who married William "Bill" Jones from Ayden.  Charles would be our first Harris to be found in America.

                                    I have found no information that connects these two Harris lines.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                      Dear Judy,
                                      I'm with you on that. I don't either.
                                      One additional question for you, Marion Harris who
                                      married my great aunt Laura McGowan, was he of the
                                      line of Henry Clay Harris?
                                      Somewhere in my notes, I believe that I had found
                                      his mother to be named Susan.
                                      I'll go back to my online records here in a minute
                                      just to check on myself. My notes on that are at home.
                                      I just got back from my usual Monday evening nursing
                                      assignment and was away from the computer fighting
                                      Richmond traffic. It was the more interesting because
                                      of stalled vehicles at two different locations on
                                      Broad Street. Cars and trucks were flying on either
                                      side of them or stuck behind them. I held my breath
                                      thinking that any minute one of them would be creamed
                                      and even rolled down my window to caution the driver
                                      of one to please be careful; the poor soul was outside
                                      his car standing to the side in the near dusk--a young
                                      man with his cell phone to his ear talking a mile a
                                      minute.
                                      Of course, there was no Motorists' assistants or
                                      police in sight!
                                      Later, Carol
                                      --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                                      > Carol,
                                      >
                                      > The Harris line of Henry Clay Harris is the line
                                      > that I have no connection with and I have no
                                      > information on these people.
                                      >
                                      > The Charles Harris and Tama McLawhorn are my third
                                      > great grandparents through their son Robert and
                                      > Robert's daughter, Rosetta who married William
                                      > "Bill" Jones from Ayden.  Charles would be our first
                                      > Harris to be found in America.
                                      >
                                      > I have found no information that connects these two
                                      > Harris lines.
                                      >
                                      > Judy

                                      Be a better pen pal.
                                    • amaryllish@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                        To be honest with you, I bearly remember the man. My mother was a Turner and
                                        married Jack Wainwright. She was born in Lenoir County. Her father was
                                        William "Willie" Thomas Turner 1875-1930 married 1896 to Estella Carlisle
                                        1877-1916. He was born in Duplin County and died in Nash County. She was born and
                                        died in Lenoir County. He is buried in Fairview Cemetery in LaGrange, NC and she
                                        is buried in Parrott Cemetery on Falling Creek Road, Lenoir County. I really
                                        don't know where the Harris' fit in. My mother had a habit of calling people
                                        cousin even if they were way, way out there in kin. She also was a lovely
                                        lady that never saw a stranger. Amy

                                      • Judy N. Lewis
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                          Carol,

                                          Alas, Pitt County is not the county of my youth.......the traffic here is horrible, too!!

                                          No, Marion is not from the Henry Clay Harris line.

                                          Marion Robert Harris is the son of Robert Harris and Susan Nichols.  He is a brother to my great grandmother Rosetta Harris Jones.  Marion is buried in the Reedy Branch Church Cemetery.  From the "Cemetery Survey of Pitt County" Book:  Marion R. Harris b. Augsut 20, 1848 d. December 8, 1922 and Laura E. Harris b. September 3, 1869 d. December 7, 1943.

                                          Judy

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                            Dear Judy,
                                            Marion married Laura McGowan, my great aunt. Ok,
                                            he is from your line!
                                            Look, I've been struck by the fact that the name
                                            "Gray" as a middle name occurs in both families. Is
                                            that possibly just a coincidence, or should I look
                                            deeper?
                                            Of course, "Franklin" and "George" appearing in a
                                            line would not speak to any particular family's being
                                            related to another as sons were commonly named for
                                            presidents and other political figures.
                                            "Marion" would likewise fall into the same
                                            category because of Frances Marion or "Swamp Fox," who
                                            was one of the early heroes of my older brother.
                                            I would not have been surprised had he named his
                                            own first son that instead of "Christopher."
                                            Uncanny as it seems, though, and completely
                                            without his knowledge of the fact, we have a Braxton
                                            great uncle named Christopher, Christopher Columbus
                                            Braxton and a great, great, great, great grandmother
                                            named Hannah, though she was not a Braxton but instead
                                            married John Braxton. My brother has a granddaughter
                                            named Hannah. My sister also has a son named
                                            "Christopher," and she, too, did not know of our
                                            Braxton ancestor.
                                            I'm still trying to learn more about both Harris
                                            families. Thanks for helping me out. It's so good to
                                            have a chance to hear from you.
                                            Later, Carol
                                            --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                                            > Carol,
                                            >
                                            > Alas, Pitt County is not the county of my
                                            > youth.......the traffic here is horrible, too!!
                                            >
                                            > No, Marion is not from the Henry Clay Harris line.
                                            >
                                            > Marion Robert Harris is the son of Robert Harris and
                                            > Susan Nichols.  He is a brother to my great
                                            > grandmother Rosetta Harris Jones.  Marion is buried
                                            > in the Reedy Branch Church Cemetery.  From the
                                            > "Cemetery Survey of Pitt County" Book:  Marion R.
                                            > Harris b. Augsut 20, 1848 d. December 8, 1922 and
                                            > Laura E. Harris b. September 3, 1869 d. December 7,
                                            > 1943.
                                            >
                                            > Judy

                                            === message truncated ===

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 19, 2007
                                              Dear Amy,
                                              My mother was the same. That makes us kin in spirit
                                              anyway.
                                              I will see what I can find on Ruel Harris and get
                                              back to you when I can place him. I have volumes of
                                              material at home that I can check.
                                              Later, Carol