Re: Ava Williams/ Jonas Williams

  • johnameyer59
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 15, 2007
      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Linda Dail <lindydail@...> wrote:

      > oops, I saw William Forrest and didn't have time to read the whole
      thing because I was busy at work - so sorry. I was so hopeful that
      someone knew the burial place for Dove Morgan Williams.
      > Thanks
      >
      > Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
      > The letter you replied to was not concerning Dove Morgan
      Williams, but Dove M. Bailey.
      > Evelyn

      Williams - in fact, this is the info on the DAR records. Where is his
      tombstone? I have not done research on my Williams branch, am still
      stuck on the Dails at present (for years - no time!). I would
      appreciate any info on the ancestors of Dove Morgan Williams and the
      place of his burial. Many thanks.
      > Linda Dail
      >
      > Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...> wrote:
      > Thank you so much for this new information.
      > I am sorry that I don't know exactly which sons did not return from
      the war. I know that Dove was still in Greene Co. I have not found a
      military record for him. He was probably too young as were those who
      were born after him. I expect it might have been William and Henry
      who did not return.
      > There is some question as to the name "Dove." In all family records
      I have found, and on his tombstone, it is spelled as Dove. One legal
      document I have found in the court house at Snow Hill gives his name
      as Dave. It could be that the Dove was a name handed down through the
      generations or it could be just the way "Dave" was pronounced in that
      area. I suspect that it really was Dove. My father always thought so.
      So did Ella Bailey Darden. She was Dove's granddaughter and she
      insisted that it was never Dave. She also said the middle name
      was "Millard." Her father was Dove's son, and she said her father's
      middle name was Millard, for his father. I know there is one cousin
      who insists that it was Morgan, but she is the only one who says so.
      I don't have any sources other than oral. Dove and Rachel were my
      great-grandparents. They are both buried in what I refer to as the
      Mercer-Bailey cemetery. Some call it the Mercer cemetery and others
      call it the Bailey cemetery. It is on
      > the land that was owned by Dove and probably by Jacob Mercer before
      that. Jacob and Elizabeth are buried there also.
      > Aunt Lula Bailey, the mother of Ella Darden, told me that Calvin
      Bailey, b. 1850, was blind. She did not know if he was born blind or
      if he lost his sight later in life.
      > How I wish I could have spent more time with those older people
      before they died. They were a wealth of information and were always
      delighted to share what they knew.
      > Joseph I picked up from a Census, I think. I am checking my sources
      for this, but I can think of no other place I would have found it.
      > Evelyn

      FORREST, HASELDEN,HUNNINGS, McCOTTER, SANDERS, SPEIGHT,TURNAGE,
      WILLIAMS

      > I have Allen, Sanders, Turnage and Williams coming through N.C. on
      there way to Tennesse and Mississippi.
      Let's compare.
      hookipajohn@...

      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2007