Draft NARA Digitizing Plan: Your Comments Needed Urgently! by 09 Nov 07

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hello Group..... Please peruse below info:

      From the National Genealogical Society Newsletter,
      Volume 7, Number 11-1, November 2007
      Draft NARA Digitizing Plan: Your Comments Needed Urgently!

      The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
      is inviting the public to suggest documents that should be
      digitized. Everyone who would like to see wider access to
      NARA's records should email their suggestions to
      Vision@.... The deadline for public comment is
      November 9. This is your chance to make your wishes
      known. Decisions made in the planning stage will impact
      our access to key records for years to come. You can
      read the draft plan at
      http://www.archives.gov/comment/digitizing-plan.html

      Here is the text of NARA's invitation to you.
      Dear Genealogist:
      The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
      is seeking public comment on its draft Plan for Digitizing
      Archival Materials for Public Access, 2007-2016. This draft
      plan outlines our planned strategies to digitize and make
      more accessible the historic holdings from the National
      Archives of the United States. A copy of the draft is available
      at http://www.archives.gov/comment/digitizing-plan.html

      The document is divided into several sections. The first
      section, INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND, provides
      information on NARA's mission, our archival holdings, and
      our past experience with digitization, to give you the
      context of the draft Plan for Digitizing Archival Materials
      for Public Access, 2007-2016. Section II, PLAN OVERVIEW,
      describes our planned goals, activities, and priorities for
      digitization. Sections III through V provide listings of current
      digitization activities being carried out by NARA and through
      partnerships to digitize and make available archival materials.
      Appendix A contains draft operating principles that we are
      using as we enter into partnerships and Appendix B references
      relevant NARA guidance that applies to handling of archival
      materials being digitized and the technical guidelines for
      image creation and description. NARA in particularly wants
      your comments on Sections II, III, V, and Appendix A.

      It is important that we receive as much public input on this
      plan as possible so that our plans adequately reflect the
      needs of the public.

      Comments are due to NARA by: November 9, 2007. Send
      comments to: Vision@... or by fax to 301-837-0319

      Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please forward
      this e-mail to any other genealogist that you may know.
      Harold McClendon
      Mount Vernon Genealogical Society
      Publicity Chairman