I Need Help

  • gubbs9
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
      This is a long shot, I have no idea how anyone could possibly help
      me, but maybe you could give some advice..? I have been searching
      for my biological father for a few years now...ever since I found out
      that the man I THOUGHT was my dad for the first 13 years of my life
      was NOT my father by DNA test. Anywho, I'm 21 years old and when I
      was 18 I found my biological mother, brothers and sisters. But my
      mother fails to remember who my father is, seeing as she THOUGHT
      Gubbs was my father. I was adopted when I was 15, after being
      abandoned by my Gubbs, my name was Crystal Dawn Gubbs, now I am
      Christina Nicole Moore. The only information my mother could give me
      was that she was ALMOST sure the man would have been in the Navy. I
      would have been concieved sometime in September/October of 1985. My
      mother has always lived in Norfolk VA, and was at that time also.
      She's also ALMOST sure that he was friends with Gubbs (her current
      husband at the time of my birth) She thinks the MIGHT remember him
      being from Texas origionally and that his nickname was "Red". I have
      gotten no further information from my mother, I think she is
      embarrassed that she can't remember him or that she was wrong about
      the first guy. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?! I'm
      about to go crazy not knowing the other half of my family, not
      knowing what runs in my family and what doesnt. Thoughts?

      Christina
    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
        Dear Christina,
        You have a difficult problem.

        Since you have exhausted the information your mother can provide, you could try speaking to Mr. Gubbs. He should be able to provide his Texan friend's name. If you do not know how to do find him, I might be able to assist you offlist.

        If he does not prove fruitful, the Navy has biographical information on their servicemen. I do not know under what circumstances, they would provide any of this information to you. Some info the Navy knows for each recruit is his birthplace, his parents' names, permanent home address, and the color of his hair.

        Your Texan is probably red-haired and most likely he was in the same military unit as Mr Gubbs about the time of your conception. After looking at the SSDI, it seems possible that both men were from Texas, perhaps friends before recruitment.
        The Gubbs name is quite rare. Only four are on the SSDI: Samuel [1894-1968], Cecil C. [1912-1988], Ruby M. [1902-1991] and Arthur C. [1921-2006]. All the men had died in Harris County, Texas. The last two in Houston.

        Marcia

      • Christina Moore
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
          Well, I haven't spoken to Howard Gubbs since I was 13. He refuses to see or speak to me for reasons I know nothing of. So, he will be of no help to me, unfortunatly. I have thought of trying to contact the Navy to see what information I can get, but I have no idea how to go about doing it.

          Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...> wrote: Dear Christina,
          You have a difficult problem.
          <SNIP>