  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2007
      I had never followed up on Susanna White, who is buried near the Grimesland
      Bridge at Grimesland, NC, and thought to be Blackbeard's sister. I have
      always doubted this is the one.
      I have some Salter notes that I am going to check also. But thought this
      might start some

      While doing some deed research on the Grist family I came across some
      interesting information.
      Susanna White was mentioned in one of them, so I checked further.

      First, Mr. House in his survey of Beaufort cemeteries mentions his father
      told him years ago there were many other signs of burials in this cemetery.

      Second, I have never found the old Salter cemetery. The Salters were in the
      present Grimesland area. Could this have been a Salter burial site. I would
      have thought they would have headstones.

      I cannot say that Susanna White was a Salter, but notice the names in the
      following deeds.
      Also listing record from headstones on Susanna White and Sally Bowen.
      White-Bowen Cemetery
      Mrs. SUSANNA WHITE, Departed this life Jany 18, 1803 Aged 48
      SALLY, the wife of Dr. TENNENT BOWEN, who departed this life Dec the 21,

      SOURCE: Pitt County, NC Deed Book Abstracts by Ellison
      Deed Book L page 317 Jan 22, 1788 Richard Blackledge to Mrs. Susanna
      White Negro
      Wit: Josiah Wright, Noah Tison
      Deed Book M page 444 ____ __, 1791 Ann Salter Ann Salter to John
      Salter, son; Susanah White, daughter; Sarah Hill, daughter; Abigail Blount,
      daughter; Elizabeth Blount, daughter; Nancy Blount, granddaughter; Jennet
      Blount, granddaughter; Joseph White, grandson; Christopher White, grandson;
      Elizabeth Salter, granddaughter, daughter of son John: Elizabeth White,
      Negroes: (total 21) love and aff Wit: William Buck, Jesse Jones
      Deed Book O 267 Feb 9, 1797 Ann Salter and Susannah White to John
      Salter Negro, trade
      Deed Book O page 345 Jan 29, 1800 Elizabeth White to Edward White,
      Brother P of A
      Men: Paul White, father of Elizabeth and Edward Wit: John Grist
      Deed Book O page 346 Jan 29, 1800 Susanna White to Edward White, son
      P of A