Haywood Dail

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
      Hi Carol,
      Wouldn't you know it, my new computer died last evening. It's the first one that I have had that failed in its 90-day trail period. It's under warranty. Hopefully, the data on the hard drive will be intact. I'm going through computers like candy.

      I do believe [going from memory], I have three men named "Haywood Dail" plus men named "Haywood Dail [some last name]" and "[first name] Haywood Dail". The former (including: Haywood Dail Mills [b:1927] and Haywood Dail Laughinghouse [b:902]) may be named after the W. Haywood Dail, Jr. shown below:
      ______________
      The W. Haywood Dail, Jr. seems to be famous for ECU per Roger Kammerer's "Pitt's Past" Column on April 4-17, 2001
      "W. Haywood Dail, Jr. An East Carolina Builder" Famous for confessing to literally chewing up all votes against locating what is now East Carolina University in Greenville, W. Haywood Dail, Jr., was a farmer, tobacconist, car dealer, builder, brick maker, highway commissioner, and avid horse racer. A native of Greene County, Dail made the brick for the first buildings at ECU.
      ______________
      He may be the one that you are related to per The Cherry Hill Cemetery Gravestone Inscriptions in Section L:

      960. William Haywood Dail, Jr., Mar. 14, 1878 - Feb. 2, 1959 961. William Haywood Dail, III, son of W. H. & Mary B. Dail,
      July 13, 1907 - Sept. 27, 1916

      ______________
      Marcia

      Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
      Dear Kelly,
      Additionally, I do not know if Grandma Dosie Dail had any brothers or sisters (surviving ones at least) except for Dick Dail, whom I knew and who visited us often with Grandma.
      Then I learn from my Uncle Wes, daddy's oldest brother who is still living in Greenville, that Uncle Dick was not named Dick. He was Haywood Dail.
      He died in 1959 in Greenville.
      Recently, I found out that there was Haywood Dail,Sr. and Haywood Dail, Jr. Was my great uncle either of these? Since Uncle Dick "Haywood" was the son of M.D. Dail, he should not have been a Jr.
      However, what he should have been and what he was are two different things. I have run into guys who bore the "Jr." after their names and who were named for a beloved uncle.
      If you or Marcia or Jewel or any of you who have done research on any of these lines can help answer any of my questions, I would be truly grateful to you.
      Thanks, Carol

      .

    • Evelyn Hendricks
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
        programs and are dissatisfied with it, may I suggest you try Genbox? You can
        download a free thirty-day free trial. It is not easy to learn, but it very
        flexible. It took me a while to realize that I did not have use all of its
        functions. I use just the parts I want, and forget the rest. If I later want
        to enter information into the blank templates it will be an easy matter to
        do so. I have tried many genealogy programs and found problems with all of
        them. This one is written in Microsoft Access, which I already knew how to
        use. In fact, I had tried to write a program in it for storing my research
        notes. Genbox does that for me, so I did not need my program. Now the
        research notes and the family group information are all stored in one
        program. I really do like it and I think you will too. It wonÂ’t hurt to try
        it for thirty days for free. They also update it for free. I think mine has
        been updated from version 3 to version 3.7. They also have a very good
        support group.

        Evelyn

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
          Dear Marcia,
          The Dail in Greenwood may be my relative. I'll ask
          Uncle Wes what he knows about Uncle Dick, as we called
          him.
          I know that he lived in Greenville. Like all the
          Braxton men, he was always wore a suit and tie in
          public. Even if he were coming to our house in the
          evening with no plans to go anywhere else, he was
          dressed up.
          Yet he wasn't stand offish or hesitant to play with
          us children because he was afraid of getting his
          clothes messed up.
          Among us, he was a completely relaxed and
          down-to-earth. That's why it was such a surprise to me
          to learn that he was somebody because he never put on
          any airs whatsoever.
          What a good person this man was!
          Mama and Uncle Mark for their part could not have
          been more supportive of East Carolina Medical School
          than if they had owned it--just for the record.
          However, they also made a point of never letting
          either religion or politics come between them and
          anyone else. These matters they simply never discussed
          outside our home, and where they knew that someone
          differed from them, they politely changed the subject
          or when they could not, they listened and nodded as if
          they agreed 100% with the speaker.
          Of course, I was shocked on those occasions because
          we were very open in expressing our views at home. It
          took several conversations from both Mama and Uncle
          Mark to teach me the wisdom of their ways.
          Sorry about your computer but glad you have a
          warranty. Isn't it just devastating when you so look
          forward to something new, and then it doesn't work?
          Thanks for helping me again with my research, Carol
          --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>