Great-grandparents of Bonnie Webster Dail

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
      Kelly,
      You are welcome. I started using Family Tree Maker in the mid-1980's and continue to do so. I have so many ideas in how to improve it, I keep thinking I should write my own.

      I am curious on your Amanda 'Mandy' Buck. I have a Buck line, Edward Calvin Buck, that married my McCoy line, Is she part of it?

      While searching to nail some data for you, I saw postings by people who are your cousins. To find them yourself, using Google search by your ancestor's full names ["Elias Exum Dail"]. Watch the dates you might find.

      Watch out for my incorrect typing too, I changed a marriage date from 1874 to 1974.
      Marcia

      Kelly Trout <kellytrout@...> wrote:
      Marcia, you're terrific!

      I am printing out your messages. I hope to sit down with everything soon, and sort through it. Putting the data into a pedigree file seems to help me organize it in my head, too :-)

      I am using a "personal ancestry file" program that I downloaded from FamilySearch.org. Do you find something like that helpful?

      You know, it's a great joy to discover my ancestors. But it's also a delight to find that my "cousins" are so generous with their time and efforts. Thank you for all your help!

      (I'd better go make dinner, too :-)
      Kelly

      .

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
        Dear Kelly,
        You are right on target about the intermarriages in
        these families. Your Harrington-Dail ancestors are
        also mine. One Penelope Braxton, a great aunt of mine,
        married Paul Harrington in 1850. I am not sure if this
        is the same Penelope Harrington who also married
        Rueben Worthington. The Dail line is also the paternal
        line of my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton, daughter of
        M.D. Dail and Eleanor Frances Crawford. In one census
        she was living with her uncle Theophilus Dail and wife
        Margaret Vandiford. I do not have death dates for
        Dosie Dail's parents and cannot account for her living
        with her uncle during that census unless perhaps she
        was visiting and the visit just happened to fall on
        the day the census taker was there.
        Additionally, I do not know if Grandma Dosie Dail
        had any brothers or sisters (surviving ones at least)
        except for Dick Dail, whom I knew and who visited us
        often with Grandma.
        Then I learn from my Uncle Wes, daddy's oldest
        brother who is still living in Greenville, that Uncle
        Dick was not named Dick. He was Haywood Dail.
        He died in 1959 in Greenville.
        Recently, I found out that there was Haywood
        Dail,Sr. and Haywood Dail, Jr. Was my great uncle
        either of these?
        Since Uncle Dick "Haywood" was the son of M.D.
        Dail, he should not have been a Jr.
        However, what he should have been and what he was
        are two different things.
        I have run into guys who bore the "Jr." after their
        names and who were named for a beloved uncle.
        If you or Marcia or Jewel or any of you who have
        done research on any of these lines can help answer
        any of my questions, I would be truly grateful to you.
        My Uncle Wes told me that he really did not know
        further back than his grandparents, and he is the
        oldest surviving child of my grandparents.
        My Aunt Huldah, his sister, is next to the youngest
        child. One of her grandsons has a web for his dad's
        family and is researching our Braxton line. He and I
        have been sharing information, but both of us also are
        relying heavily upon knowledgeable people like those
        in our group to help us fill in some gaps.
        Thanks, Carol
        --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
          Hi Carol,
          Wouldn't you know it, my new computer died last evening. It's the first one that I have had that failed in its 90-day trail period. It's under warranty. Hopefully, the data on the hard drive will be intact. I'm going through computers like candy.

          I do believe [going from memory], I have three men named "Haywood Dail" plus men named "Haywood Dail [some last name]" and "[first name] Haywood Dail". The former (including: Haywood Dail Mills [b:1927] and Haywood Dail Laughinghouse [b:902]) may be named after the W. Haywood Dail, Jr. shown below:
          ______________
          The W. Haywood Dail, Jr. seems to be famous for ECU per Roger Kammerer's "Pitt's Past" Column on April 4-17, 2001
          "W. Haywood Dail, Jr. An East Carolina Builder" Famous for confessing to literally chewing up all votes against locating what is now East Carolina University in Greenville, W. Haywood Dail, Jr., was a farmer, tobacconist, car dealer, builder, brick maker, highway commissioner, and avid horse racer. A native of Greene County, Dail made the brick for the first buildings at ECU.
          ______________
          He may be the one that you are related to per The Cherry Hill Cemetery Gravestone Inscriptions in Section L:

          960. William Haywood Dail, Jr., Mar. 14, 1878 - Feb. 2, 1959 961. William Haywood Dail, III, son of W. H. & Mary B. Dail,
          July 13, 1907 - Sept. 27, 1916

          ______________
          Marcia

          Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
          Dear Kelly,
[...]

        • Evelyn Hendricks
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
            programs and are dissatisfied with it, may I suggest you try Genbox? You can
            download a free thirty-day free trial. It is not easy to learn, but it very
            flexible. It took me a while to realize that I did not have use all of its
            functions. I use just the parts I want, and forget the rest. If I later want
            to enter information into the blank templates it will be an easy matter to
            do so. I have tried many genealogy programs and found problems with all of
            them. This one is written in Microsoft Access, which I already knew how to
            use. In fact, I had tried to write a program in it for storing my research
            notes. Genbox does that for me, so I did not need my program. Now the
            research notes and the family group information are all stored in one
            program. I really do like it and I think you will too. It wonÂ’t hurt to try
            it for thirty days for free. They also update it for free. I think mine has
            been updated from version 3 to version 3.7. They also have a very good
            support group.

            Evelyn

            _____

            Kelly Trout <kellytrout@sbcgloba <mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net> l.net>

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
              Dear Marcia,
              The Dail in Greenwood may be my relative. I'll ask
              Uncle Wes what he knows about Uncle Dick, as we called
              him.
              I know that he lived in Greenville. Like all the
              Braxton men, he was always wore a suit and tie in
              public. Even if he were coming to our house in the
              evening with no plans to go anywhere else, he was
              dressed up.
              Yet he wasn't stand offish or hesitant to play with
              us children because he was afraid of getting his
              clothes messed up.
              Among us, he was a completely relaxed and
              down-to-earth. That's why it was such a surprise to me
              to learn that he was somebody because he never put on
              any airs whatsoever.
              What a good person this man was!
              Mama and Uncle Mark for their part could not have
              been more supportive of East Carolina Medical School
              than if they had owned it--just for the record.
              However, they also made a point of never letting
              either religion or politics come between them and
              anyone else. These matters they simply never discussed
              outside our home, and where they knew that someone
              differed from them, they politely changed the subject
              or when they could not, they listened and nodded as if
              they agreed 100% with the speaker.
              Of course, I was shocked on those occasions because
              we were very open in expressing our views at home. It
              took several conversations from both Mama and Uncle
              Mark to teach me the wisdom of their ways.
              Sorry about your computer but glad you have a
              warranty. Isn't it just devastating when you so look
              forward to something new, and then it doesn't work?
              Thanks for helping me again with my research, Carol