Great-grandparents of Bonnie Webster Dail

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
      Kelly,
      Daniel Webster Dail is probably the only son between Margaret Zilphia Sumrell [06 Mar 1849 - 04 Feb 1899], the youngest of six children between Martha Penelope 'Penny' Harrington [03 Jul 1815 - 03 Jul 1883] and Barnes Staton 'Blancy' Sumrell [27 Apr 1815 - 27 May 1904].

      This 1880 census information was copied from LDS.
      Household:
      Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
      B. S. SUMRELL Self M Male W 65 NC Farmer NC NC
      Pemnelopy SUMRELL Wife M Female W 64 NC Keep House NC NC
      Leuisor SUMRELL Dau S Female W 35 NC Home NC NC
      Rudrick B. SUMRELL Son M Male W 29 NC Works On Farm NC NC
      Jeosiephene SUMRELL DauL M Female W 23 NC Home NC NC
      David SUMRELL GSon S Male W 8M NC NC NC
      Source Information:
      Census Place Contentnea, Pitt, NC
      Family History Library Film 1254977
      NA Film Number T9-0977
      Page Number 310D

      1870 census information"
      Contentnea Township, Pitt county, NC, Family ID = 165
      Summerill, Barnes, 55, Farmer
      Penelope, 54, Keeping House
      Louisa, 25
      Roderick B, 20

      I visited their old homestead last October with the intention of going into the cemetery again. I was there once in 1971-72, when it was in the middle of a cow pasture. The cemetery was too over grown for me to try entrance. The area didn't even look as I remembered it. The resident at Sumrell's old homestead said that they would try to clear it out in February. My father-in-law's father and grandfather were buried there, as well as a lot of Worthingtons.

      I found this info:
      Martha Penelope Harrington daughter of Zilpha Haddock and Joab Harrington.
      Zilpha Haddock daughter of Martha Jane 'Patsy' Taylor (NC) and William A. Haddock (NC)
      Martha Jane Taylor daughter of Dinah Deale [another version of Dail] and William Taylor

      William A. Haddock son of Liscomb Taylor (VA) and John Haddock (MD)
      Liscomb Taylor daughter of Liscomb Jones and William Taylor
      John Haddock son of Elizabeth Abell (MD) and John Haddock (London, Eng.)

      Barnes Staton Sumrell son of Mary 'Polly' Harper and William Paul SUMRELL (Ire.).

      Marcia

      kellytrout1218 <kellytrout@...> wrote:

      Hello,
      My grandfather was Bonnie Webster Dail (b. 31 Jul 1900, Pitt County, NC)

      His father was Daniel Webster Dail (no info) and his mother was Amanda or Ammandia Buck (b. 1878, Craven County, NC).

      Does anyone know which line of Dails this might be?
      Thank you!
      Kelly (Dail) Trout

      .

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
        Kelly,
        Elias Exum Dail is probably the son of Mary E. 'Turner' Turnage [26 Mar 1825 - 04 Feb 1899], and Elbert Dail [19 Oct 1821 - 23 Mar 1893].

        Oops - here's a problem. I have the same death date for both Mary E. 'Turner' (Turnage) Dail and Margaret Zilphia 'Zilphia' (Sumrell) Dail. Let me verify these dates, because Zilphia probably died 25+ years earlier. I found another death date for Zilphia of 1873; This makes more sense 1) with the lack of additional children and 2) marriage to Alice in 1974.

        Elbert Dail is probably the son of Nancy Murphrey [b:02 May 1785] and James Dail.

        Nancy Murphrey is the daughter of Penelope I. 'Polly' Ward [b:26 Jan 1766] and Jethro 'Jethra' Murphrey [Mar 1755 - 1819]. Note: with Penelope having a nickname of 'Polly' I feel it indicates that Mary is also part of her name.

        Jethro 'Jethra' Murphrey is son of Mary or Elizabeth Hampton and Michael Murphrey.

        Got to make dinner...
        Marcia

        1880 Census per LDS - Household:
        Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
        Elbert DAIL Self M Male W 60 NC Farmer NC NC
        Mary DAIL Wife M Female W 55 NC Keep House NC NC
        George DAIL Son M Male W 24 NC Works On Farm NC NC
        Nanie C. DAIL Dau S Female W 19 NC Home NC NC
        Mary DAIL DauL M Female W 16 NC Home NC NC
        Elbert M. DAIL Son S Male W 16 NC Works On Farm NC NC
        Octavia DAIL Dau S Female W 13 NC Home NC NC
        Ada DAIL Dau S Female W 11 NC NC NC
        Source Information:
        Census Place Contentnea, Pitt, NC
        Family History Library Film 1254977
        NA Film Number T9-0977
        Page Number 314D

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
          Marcia, you're terrific!

          I am printing out your messages. I hope to sit down with everything soon, and sort through it. Putting the data into a pedigree file seems to help me organize it in my head, too :-)

          I am using a "personal ancestry file" program that I downloaded from FamilySearch.org. Do you find something like that helpful?

          You know, it's a great joy to discover my ancestors. But it's also a delight to find that my "cousins" are so generous with their time and efforts. Thank you for all your help!

          (I'd better go make dinner, too :-)

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
            Kelly,
            You are welcome. I started using Family Tree Maker in the mid-1980's and continue to do so. I have so many ideas in how to improve it, I keep thinking I should write my own.

            I am curious on your Amanda 'Mandy' Buck. I have a Buck line, Edward Calvin Buck, that married my McCoy line, Is she part of it?

            While searching to nail some data for you, I saw postings by people who are your cousins. To find them yourself, using Google search by your ancestor's full names ["Elias Exum Dail"]. Watch the dates you might find.

            Watch out for my incorrect typing too, I changed a marriage date from 1874 to 1974.
            Marcia

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
              Dear Kelly,
              You are right on target about the intermarriages in
              these families. Your Harrington-Dail ancestors are
              also mine. One Penelope Braxton, a great aunt of mine,
              married Paul Harrington in 1850. I am not sure if this
              is the same Penelope Harrington who also married
              Rueben Worthington. The Dail line is also the paternal
              line of my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton, daughter of
              M.D. Dail and Eleanor Frances Crawford. In one census
              she was living with her uncle Theophilus Dail and wife
              Margaret Vandiford. I do not have death dates for
              Dosie Dail's parents and cannot account for her living
              with her uncle during that census unless perhaps she
              was visiting and the visit just happened to fall on
              the day the census taker was there.
              Additionally, I do not know if Grandma Dosie Dail
              had any brothers or sisters (surviving ones at least)
              except for Dick Dail, whom I knew and who visited us
              often with Grandma.
              Then I learn from my Uncle Wes, daddy's oldest
              brother who is still living in Greenville, that Uncle
              Dick was not named Dick. He was Haywood Dail.
              He died in 1959 in Greenville.
              Recently, I found out that there was Haywood
              Dail,Sr. and Haywood Dail, Jr. Was my great uncle
              either of these?
              Since Uncle Dick "Haywood" was the son of M.D.
              Dail, he should not have been a Jr.
              However, what he should have been and what he was
              are two different things.
              I have run into guys who bore the "Jr." after their
              names and who were named for a beloved uncle.
              If you or Marcia or Jewel or any of you who have
              done research on any of these lines can help answer
              any of my questions, I would be truly grateful to you.
              My Uncle Wes told me that he really did not know
              further back than his grandparents, and he is the
              oldest surviving child of my grandparents.
              My Aunt Huldah, his sister, is next to the youngest
              child. One of her grandsons has a web for his dad's
              family and is researching our Braxton line. He and I
              have been sharing information, but both of us also are
              relying heavily upon knowledgeable people like those
              in our group to help us fill in some gaps.
              Thanks, Carol
              --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

            • Marcia McLawhorn
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
                Hi Carol,
                Wouldn't you know it, my new computer died last evening. It's the first one that I have had that failed in its 90-day trail period. It's under warranty. Hopefully, the data on the hard drive will be intact. I'm going through computers like candy.

                I do believe [going from memory], I have three men named "Haywood Dail" plus men named "Haywood Dail [some last name]" and "[first name] Haywood Dail". The former (including: Haywood Dail Mills [b:1927] and Haywood Dail Laughinghouse [b:902]) may be named after the W. Haywood Dail, Jr. shown below:
                ______________
                The W. Haywood Dail, Jr. seems to be famous for ECU per Roger Kammerer's "Pitt's Past" Column on April 4-17, 2001
                "W. Haywood Dail, Jr. An East Carolina Builder" Famous for confessing to literally chewing up all votes against locating what is now East Carolina University in Greenville, W. Haywood Dail, Jr., was a farmer, tobacconist, car dealer, builder, brick maker, highway commissioner, and avid horse racer. A native of Greene County, Dail made the brick for the first buildings at ECU.
                ______________
                He may be the one that you are related to per The Cherry Hill Cemetery Gravestone Inscriptions in Section L:

                960. William Haywood Dail, Jr., Mar. 14, 1878 - Feb. 2, 1959 961. William Haywood Dail, III, son of W. H. & Mary B. Dail,
                July 13, 1907 - Sept. 27, 1916

                ______________
                Marcia

                Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
                Dear Kelly,
[...]

              • Evelyn Hendricks
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
                  programs and are dissatisfied with it, may I suggest you try Genbox? You can
                  download a free thirty-day free trial. It is not easy to learn, but it very
                  flexible. It took me a while to realize that I did not have use all of its
                  functions. I use just the parts I want, and forget the rest. If I later want
                  to enter information into the blank templates it will be an easy matter to
                  do so. I have tried many genealogy programs and found problems with all of
                  them. This one is written in Microsoft Access, which I already knew how to
                  use. In fact, I had tried to write a program in it for storing my research
                  notes. Genbox does that for me, so I did not need my program. Now the
                  research notes and the family group information are all stored in one
                  program. I really do like it and I think you will too. It wonÂ’t hurt to try
                  it for thirty days for free. They also update it for free. I think mine has
                  been updated from version 3 to version 3.7. They also have a very good
                  support group.

                  Evelyn

                  _____

                  Kelly Trout <kellytrout@sbcgloba <mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net> l.net>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                    Dear Marcia,
                    The Dail in Greenwood may be my relative. I'll ask
                    Uncle Wes what he knows about Uncle Dick, as we called
                    him.
                    I know that he lived in Greenville. Like all the
                    Braxton men, he was always wore a suit and tie in
                    public. Even if he were coming to our house in the
                    evening with no plans to go anywhere else, he was
                    dressed up.
                    Yet he wasn't stand offish or hesitant to play with
                    us children because he was afraid of getting his
                    clothes messed up.
                    Among us, he was a completely relaxed and
                    down-to-earth. That's why it was such a surprise to me
                    to learn that he was somebody because he never put on
                    any airs whatsoever.
                    What a good person this man was!
                    Mama and Uncle Mark for their part could not have
                    been more supportive of East Carolina Medical School
                    than if they had owned it--just for the record.
                    However, they also made a point of never letting
                    either religion or politics come between them and
                    anyone else. These matters they simply never discussed
                    outside our home, and where they knew that someone
                    differed from them, they politely changed the subject
                    or when they could not, they listened and nodded as if
                    they agreed 100% with the speaker.
                    Of course, I was shocked on those occasions because
                    we were very open in expressing our views at home. It
                    took several conversations from both Mama and Uncle
                    Mark to teach me the wisdom of their ways.
                    Sorry about your computer but glad you have a
                    warranty. Isn't it just devastating when you so look
                    forward to something new, and then it doesn't work?
                    Thanks for helping me again with my research, Carol