Bonnie Dail/John R Buck

  • kellytrout1218
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
      Hello,

      My grandfather was Bonnie Webster Dail (b. 31 Jul 1900, Pitt Cty NC)

      His father was Daniel Webster Dail (no info) and his mother was Amanda
      or Ammandia Buck (b. 1878, Craven, NC).

      Does anyone know which line of Dails this might be?

      Thank you!
      Kelly (Dail) Trout
    • Judy N. Lewis
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
        1880 Pitt County Cenus, Contentnea Twsp:

        Elias E. Dail, 34, farmer

        Allie, 30, wife

        Daniel W., 9, son

        Emma, 7, daughter

        Lular, 5, daughter

        Mary, 3, daughter

        Exum, 2, son

        1900 Pitt County, Contentnea Twsp:

        Elias, 54

        Allie, 50, wife

        Exum, 22, son

        Harry, 19, son

        Allie, 17, daughter

        George, 16, son

        Luther, 15, son

        Lizzie, 11, daugher

        Bertha, 10, daughter

        Rosalie, 8, daughter

        From the Craven County Chronicles:

        "Harvey Edward McLawhorn (born April 3, 1821, died February 26, 190l) probably son of George and Mary McLawhorn of Pitt County, married Nancy Edwards (born December 11, 1831, died August 23, 1898) probably the daugher of John and Elizabeth Edwards.  He was a farmer and owned land on Hencoop Swamp in Pitt Co.  In 1876 the family moved to Craven Co. and settled near Vanceboro on land he bought from Edward Whitord.  Harvey and Nancy had 13 children:  Alice (Allie) McLawhorn (born Mary 14, 1850, died Feb. 20, 1911) married Feb. 4, 1874 Elias E. Dail (born April 27, 1846, died Aug. 12, 1917) son of Elbert Dail and Mary Turnage.  They lived in Pitt County and had 12 children."

        Hope this helps..........Judy

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
          Hello Judy,

          This is TERRIFIC! Thank you so much - I'm so excited, I can't even tell you.

          Someone else also sent me some wonderful information on the Dails, and, knowing how difficult and time-consuming it can be to get each little bit of it (and that's with the Internet!) I am just overwhelmed at how helpful and generous this is. Wow.

          Thank you again. This is just amazing.... Thank you!

          Kelly

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
            Kelly,
            I research the name McLawhorn.

            Looking at on-line sources for Elias Exum Dail, Sr., he had three wives, but what I think I know, raises more questions.

            This 1880 census information was copied from LDS.
            Household:
            Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
            Elias E. DAIL Self M Male W 34 NC Farmer NC NC
            Allis DAIL Wife M Female W 30 NC Keep House NC NC
            Daniel W. DAIL Son S Male W 9 NC NC NC
            Emma DAIL Dau S Female W 7 NC NC NC
            Lular DAIL Dau S Female W 5 NC NC NC
            Nanie DAIL Dau S Female W 4 NC NC NC
            Mary DAIL Dau S Female W 3 NC NC NC
            Emma DAIL Son S Male W 2 NC NC NC
            Source Information:
            Census Place Contentnea, Pitt, NC
            Family History Library Film 1254977
            NA Film Number T9-0977
            Page Number 315B

            I believe Allis Dail was born Alice 'Allie' McLawhorn [14 May 1850 - 20 Feb 1911], first of the thirteen children between Nancy Edwards [11 Dec 1831 - 23 Aug 1898] and Harvey Edward 'Henry' McLawhorn [03 Apr 1821 - 26 Feb 1901].

            Alice married Elias Exum Dail 04 Feb 1874 and is his second wife and they had twelve children.

            His first marriage was 19 Jan 1870 to Zilphia Sumrell. I think she is Margaret Zilphia Sumrell [06 Mar 1849 - 04 Feb 1899], youngest of six children between Martha Penelope 'Penny' Harrington [03 Jul 1815 - 03 Jul 1883] and Barnes Staton 'Blancy' Sumrell [27 Apr 1815 - 27 May 1904]. They have two children: Daniel Webster and Emma [30 May 1872 - 20 Dec 1950], who married William Arden 'Arden' Nobles 05 Dec 1888. Is this end in the rare incidences of a divorce?

            I have Elias Exum Dail's third marriage to Mattie Tripp Jarrell 31 Jan 1911, almost a month before Alice dies. At his age this does not seem realistic; therefore, I believe this information is not be entirely correct. However, the Sumrell, McLawhorn and Harrington families live in close proximity and are often very involved with each other.

            Marcia

            kellytrout1218 <kellytrout@...> wrote:
            Hello,
            My grandfather was Bonnie Webster Dail (b. 31 Jul 1900, Pitt County, NC)

            His father was Daniel Webster Dail (no info) and his mother was Amanda or Ammandia Buck (b. 1878, Craven County, NC).

            Does anyone know which line of Dails this might be?
            Thank you!
            Kelly (Dail) Trout

            .

          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
              Kelly,
              Daniel Webster Dail is probably the only son between Margaret Zilphia Sumrell [06 Mar 1849 - 04 Feb 1899], the youngest of six children between Martha Penelope 'Penny' Harrington [03 Jul 1815 - 03 Jul 1883] and Barnes Staton 'Blancy' Sumrell [27 Apr 1815 - 27 May 1904].

              This 1880 census information was copied from LDS.
              Household:
              Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
              B. S. SUMRELL Self M Male W 65 NC Farmer NC NC
              Pemnelopy SUMRELL Wife M Female W 64 NC Keep House NC NC
              Leuisor SUMRELL Dau S Female W 35 NC Home NC NC
              Rudrick B. SUMRELL Son M Male W 29 NC Works On Farm NC NC
              Jeosiephene SUMRELL DauL M Female W 23 NC Home NC NC
              David SUMRELL GSon S Male W 8M NC NC NC
              Source Information:
              Census Place Contentnea, Pitt, NC
              Family History Library Film 1254977
              NA Film Number T9-0977
              Page Number 310D

              1870 census information"
              Contentnea Township, Pitt county, NC, Family ID = 165
              Summerill, Barnes, 55, Farmer
              Penelope, 54, Keeping House
              Louisa, 25
              Roderick B, 20

              I visited their old homestead last October with the intention of going into the cemetery again. I was there once in 1971-72, when it was in the middle of a cow pasture. The cemetery was too over grown for me to try entrance. The area didn't even look as I remembered it. The resident at Sumrell's old homestead said that they would try to clear it out in February. My father-in-law's father and grandfather were buried there, as well as a lot of Worthingtons.

              I found this info:
              Martha Penelope Harrington daughter of Zilpha Haddock and Joab Harrington.
              Zilpha Haddock daughter of Martha Jane 'Patsy' Taylor (NC) and William A. Haddock (NC)
              Martha Jane Taylor daughter of Dinah Deale [another version of Dail] and William Taylor

              William A. Haddock son of Liscomb Taylor (VA) and John Haddock (MD)
              Liscomb Taylor daughter of Liscomb Jones and William Taylor
              John Haddock son of Elizabeth Abell (MD) and John Haddock (London, Eng.)

              Barnes Staton Sumrell son of Mary 'Polly' Harper and William Paul SUMRELL (Ire.).

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
                Kelly,
                Elias Exum Dail is probably the son of Mary E. 'Turner' Turnage [26 Mar 1825 - 04 Feb 1899], and Elbert Dail [19 Oct 1821 - 23 Mar 1893].

                Oops - here's a problem. I have the same death date for both Mary E. 'Turner' (Turnage) Dail and Margaret Zilphia 'Zilphia' (Sumrell) Dail. Let me verify these dates, because Zilphia probably died 25+ years earlier. I found another death date for Zilphia of 1873; This makes more sense 1) with the lack of additional children and 2) marriage to Alice in 1974.

                Elbert Dail is probably the son of Nancy Murphrey [b:02 May 1785] and James Dail.

                Nancy Murphrey is the daughter of Penelope I. 'Polly' Ward [b:26 Jan 1766] and Jethro 'Jethra' Murphrey [Mar 1755 - 1819]. Note: with Penelope having a nickname of 'Polly' I feel it indicates that Mary is also part of her name.

                Jethro 'Jethra' Murphrey is son of Mary or Elizabeth Hampton and Michael Murphrey.

                Got to make dinner...
                Marcia

                1880 Census per LDS - Household:
                Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
                Elbert DAIL Self M Male W 60 NC Farmer NC NC
                Mary DAIL Wife M Female W 55 NC Keep House NC NC
                George DAIL Son M Male W 24 NC Works On Farm NC NC
                Nanie C. DAIL Dau S Female W 19 NC Home NC NC
                Mary DAIL DauL M Female W 16 NC Home NC NC
                Elbert M. DAIL Son S Male W 16 NC Works On Farm NC NC
                Octavia DAIL Dau S Female W 13 NC Home NC NC
                Ada DAIL Dau S Female W 11 NC NC NC
                Source Information:
                Census Place Contentnea, Pitt, NC
                Family History Library Film 1254977
                NA Film Number T9-0977
                Page Number 314D

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
                  Marcia, you're terrific!

                  I am printing out your messages. I hope to sit down with everything soon, and sort through it. Putting the data into a pedigree file seems to help me organize it in my head, too :-)

                  I am using a "personal ancestry file" program that I downloaded from FamilySearch.org. Do you find something like that helpful?

                  You know, it's a great joy to discover my ancestors. But it's also a delight to find that my "cousins" are so generous with their time and efforts. Thank you for all your help!

                  (I'd better go make dinner, too :-)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
                    Kelly,
                    You are welcome. I started using Family Tree Maker in the mid-1980's and continue to do so. I have so many ideas in how to improve it, I keep thinking I should write my own.

                    I am curious on your Amanda 'Mandy' Buck. I have a Buck line, Edward Calvin Buck, that married my McCoy line, Is she part of it?

                    While searching to nail some data for you, I saw postings by people who are your cousins. To find them yourself, using Google search by your ancestor's full names ["Elias Exum Dail"]. Watch the dates you might find.

                    Watch out for my incorrect typing too, I changed a marriage date from 1874 to 1974.
                    Marcia

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
                      Dear Kelly,
                      You are right on target about the intermarriages in
                      these families. Your Harrington-Dail ancestors are
                      also mine. One Penelope Braxton, a great aunt of mine,
                      married Paul Harrington in 1850. I am not sure if this
                      is the same Penelope Harrington who also married
                      Rueben Worthington. The Dail line is also the paternal
                      line of my grandmother Dosie Dail Braxton, daughter of
                      M.D. Dail and Eleanor Frances Crawford. In one census
                      she was living with her uncle Theophilus Dail and wife
                      Margaret Vandiford. I do not have death dates for
                      Dosie Dail's parents and cannot account for her living
                      with her uncle during that census unless perhaps she
                      was visiting and the visit just happened to fall on
                      the day the census taker was there.
                      Additionally, I do not know if Grandma Dosie Dail
                      had any brothers or sisters (surviving ones at least)
                      except for Dick Dail, whom I knew and who visited us
                      often with Grandma.
                      Then I learn from my Uncle Wes, daddy's oldest
                      brother who is still living in Greenville, that Uncle
                      Dick was not named Dick. He was Haywood Dail.
                      He died in 1959 in Greenville.
                      Recently, I found out that there was Haywood
                      Dail,Sr. and Haywood Dail, Jr. Was my great uncle
                      either of these?
                      Since Uncle Dick "Haywood" was the son of M.D.
                      Dail, he should not have been a Jr.
                      However, what he should have been and what he was
                      are two different things.
                      I have run into guys who bore the "Jr." after their
                      names and who were named for a beloved uncle.
                      If you or Marcia or Jewel or any of you who have
                      done research on any of these lines can help answer
                      any of my questions, I would be truly grateful to you.
                      My Uncle Wes told me that he really did not know
                      further back than his grandparents, and he is the
                      oldest surviving child of my grandparents.
                      My Aunt Huldah, his sister, is next to the youngest
                      child. One of her grandsons has a web for his dad's
                      family and is researching our Braxton line. He and I
                      have been sharing information, but both of us also are
                      relying heavily upon knowledgeable people like those
                      in our group to help us fill in some gaps.
                      Thanks, Carol
                      --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>

                    • Marcia McLawhorn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 13, 2007
                        Hi Carol,
                        Wouldn't you know it, my new computer died last evening. It's the first one that I have had that failed in its 90-day trail period. It's under warranty. Hopefully, the data on the hard drive will be intact. I'm going through computers like candy.

                        I do believe [going from memory], I have three men named "Haywood Dail" plus men named "Haywood Dail [some last name]" and "[first name] Haywood Dail". The former (including: Haywood Dail Mills [b:1927] and Haywood Dail Laughinghouse [b:902]) may be named after the W. Haywood Dail, Jr. shown below:
                        ______________
                        The W. Haywood Dail, Jr. seems to be famous for ECU per Roger Kammerer's "Pitt's Past" Column on April 4-17, 2001
                        "W. Haywood Dail, Jr. An East Carolina Builder" Famous for confessing to literally chewing up all votes against locating what is now East Carolina University in Greenville, W. Haywood Dail, Jr., was a farmer, tobacconist, car dealer, builder, brick maker, highway commissioner, and avid horse racer. A native of Greene County, Dail made the brick for the first buildings at ECU.
                        ______________
                        He may be the one that you are related to per The Cherry Hill Cemetery Gravestone Inscriptions in Section L:

                        960. William Haywood Dail, Jr., Mar. 14, 1878 - Feb. 2, 1959 961. William Haywood Dail, III, son of W. H. & Mary B. Dail,
                        July 13, 1907 - Sept. 27, 1916

                        ______________
                        Marcia

                        Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
                        Dear Kelly,
[...]

                      • Evelyn Hendricks
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 14, 2007
                          programs and are dissatisfied with it, may I suggest you try Genbox? You can
                          download a free thirty-day free trial. It is not easy to learn, but it very
                          flexible. It took me a while to realize that I did not have use all of its
                          functions. I use just the parts I want, and forget the rest. If I later want
                          to enter information into the blank templates it will be an easy matter to
                          do so. I have tried many genealogy programs and found problems with all of
                          them. This one is written in Microsoft Access, which I already knew how to
                          use. In fact, I had tried to write a program in it for storing my research
                          notes. Genbox does that for me, so I did not need my program. Now the
                          research notes and the family group information are all stored in one
                          program. I really do like it and I think you will too. It won’t hurt to try
                          it for thirty days for free. They also update it for free. I think mine has
                          been updated from version 3 to version 3.7. They also have a very good
                          support group.

                          Evelyn

                          _____

                          Kelly Trout <kellytrout@sbcgloba <mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net> l.net>

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 18, 2007
                            Dear Marcia,
                            The Dail in Greenwood may be my relative. I'll ask
                            Uncle Wes what he knows about Uncle Dick, as we called
                            him.
                            I know that he lived in Greenville. Like all the
                            Braxton men, he was always wore a suit and tie in
                            public. Even if he were coming to our house in the
                            evening with no plans to go anywhere else, he was
                            dressed up.
                            Yet he wasn't stand offish or hesitant to play with
                            us children because he was afraid of getting his
                            clothes messed up.
                            Among us, he was a completely relaxed and
                            down-to-earth. That's why it was such a surprise to me
                            to learn that he was somebody because he never put on
                            any airs whatsoever.
                            What a good person this man was!
                            Mama and Uncle Mark for their part could not have
                            been more supportive of East Carolina Medical School
                            than if they had owned it--just for the record.
                            However, they also made a point of never letting
                            either religion or politics come between them and
                            anyone else. These matters they simply never discussed
                            outside our home, and where they knew that someone
                            differed from them, they politely changed the subject
                            or when they could not, they listened and nodded as if
                            they agreed 100% with the speaker.
                            Of course, I was shocked on those occasions because
                            we were very open in expressing our views at home. It
                            took several conversations from both Mama and Uncle
                            Mark to teach me the wisdom of their ways.
                            Sorry about your computer but glad you have a
                            warranty. Isn't it just devastating when you so look
                            forward to something new, and then it doesn't work?
                            Thanks for helping me again with my research, Carol