Re: [genpcncfir] PITT Co FARM HOME................. UNDERTAKER FLANAGAN PITT Co

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
      Dear Bill & Conni,
      It was Ed Flanagan who ran the funeral home. He
      was, I understand, a brother of John Flanagan. John
      started out as an apprentice to the original owner of
      a buggy company in Greenville then years later opened
      his own company, John Flanagan's Buggy Company.
      It was still John Flanagan's Buggy Company in 1953
      when Mama bought her lovely pea green Ford F-100
      Pick-up truck with optional heater and radio.
      Mama never did get the optional radio. She was
      totally deaf in her right ear from a bout with measles
      when 12 years old. Most people did not know it, but
      Mama read lips in addition to "listening."
      She became very adept at changing her response when
      a "reading" of a person's face showed shock at what
      she had said in response to what she thought she had
      "heard."
      In a household like that, who could help having a
      sense of humor?
      Funnier still was that Mama's first boss at
      Richmond Professional Institute, now Virginia
      Commonwealth University here in Richmond with M.C.V.
      being the medical division and V.C.U. the academic
      division, was completely deaf. She wore a hearing aid,
      but back then the aid left a bit to be desired.
      She and Mama often exchanged questionning looks
      with one another and other body language when a
      student came in and said something that made both
      doubt their senses.
      One example was when a student came in requesting a
      transcript and gave his name as "Windshittle."
      After a few puzzled glances, Mama's boss asked the
      student: "How do you spell your last name?"
      Mama's co-workers, like Mama, were also natives of
      Greenville, North Carolina and had known Mama for
      years. Therefore, knowing exactly what was playing out
      in the minds of both Mama and their boss. It was all
      these two could do to keep from cracking up. Mama
      reported that she was unable to look at either of them
      the whole time the student was in the room.
      I had my own test of Mama's hearing acuity when
      riding with her to work one day. I told her that my
      brother was going to peroxide his hair--these were the
      50's and this hair treatment had become the rage with
      a song about a "patched up blonde with peroxided hair"
      and "his baby" but "ain't no square."
      Mama said, "That's okay."
      I said, "What? Did you understand what I just
      said?"
      Mama replied, "Yes. So what's the problem with
      it?"
      Since I wasn't my brother's mom, I said, "Nothing
      if it's all right with you. I just thought you might
      want to know."
      The subject was dropped until that evening when we
      got home and Mama saw that whitened hair that used to
      be burnt copper.
      Immediately she turned to me and said, "Why didn't
      you tell me about this?"
      That's when I replayed the morning's conversation
      with her.
      Instead of giving both of us a good whack, she
      simply shook her head and ordered my brother to
      shampoo his hair, told him that she hoped it didn't
      fall out, and ended with a desire that he get sick of
      looking at it before it was over. Her final word was,
      "Don't ever again do anything to change your
      appearance without first discussing it with me."
      Not having a radio on that 1953 Ford F-100 was no
      loss on me either. I enjoyed the time I got to spend
      with Mama on our rides and to talk with her,
      miscommunications and all.
      I cannot say the same, unfortunately, for that
      heater option she chose to forego.
      Mama bought the truck in the summer of 1953
      primarily to pick up our tobacco hands from Greenville
      and to take them home again in the evenings without
      having to rely upon anyone else to do it.
      Transportation was a problem because Uncle Mark could
      not get a license. His two detached retina, a result
      of his having been born with Marfan's Syndrome, made
      it impossible for him to see through a windshield.
      Before cars had windshields, he drove, and all his
      life, he could drive our tractor from the fields to
      the house. However, he could not see well enough to
      disc or to mark rows or to plow, so Mama did all the
      field work requiring use of the tractor while Uncle
      Mark attached all the machinery. The mechanical end of
      it was close-up work that he could feel and see and
      thus could perform. His glasses + a magnifying glass
      allowed him to read, so academics was no problem for
      him.
      The truck, as I said, had no heater. In the North
      Carolina summer, we never missed the heater.
      That November, though, Mama and Uncle Mark bought
      a 47-acre farm in Hanover County, Virginia. That
      winter was about the coldest on record here in
      Virginia. Our water pipes froze over and over again,
      and I went down to the creek with soap and towel to
      bathe. My brothers and sister sponged off and let it
      go at that. No way were they going to bathe in an icy
      creek.
      Waiting in the truck at the end of our 7/10 mile
      lane with Mama for our school bus, by the time that
      bus arrived, I had blue and purple hands and feet
      blanched white and numb with cold.
      Multiply this experience a thousand times over the
      next 10 years riding to town and later to work in
      Richmond with Mama in that heaterless truck, and you
      might get some idea of human misery and the mindset
      that would make a heater "optional."
      The good news was that months before that truck
      uttered its last gasp, Mama "optioned" for a heater.
      As for me, my acute suffering from the cold was
      the result of an undiagnosed, untreated
      non-functioning thyroid gland the complications of
      which nearly caused my death.
      "All's well that ends well," as Shakespeare put
      it. As for me, I have a heater in my car, and I
      "optioned" for air conditioning once it was available.
      By the way, another Flanagan in Greenville, Walter
      Flanagan, opened the first black funeral home.
      I believe it was my great uncle Edward Marcellus
      McGowan who had sometimes worked as a young man with
      the Flanagans.
      Later, Carol

      --- connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:

      > Are there any Institutional records still in
      > existance for the Pitt Co
      > Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for
      > Fredrick ( Fred )
      > Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at
      > least 100, and may
      > have lived a few years more, so far I have had no
      > luck.
      >
      > Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker
      > Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on
      > my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it
      > is noted he removed
      > the body (1935)
      > Any information would be very appreciated.

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
        Connie,
        This answer is more for your previous email dated: 06 Mar 2006
        Subject: FREDERIC VENTERS FORMER SLAVE OF BENJAMIN VENTERS ???

        Searching Google for "frederic venters", I found item saved on Jul 15, 2007
        www.jenforum.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?venters::344.html
        Posted By: David Johnson on November 10, 2004
        Subject: Re: still another Venters line ( multi -racial ) for you.

        In case you are unable to retrieve this, I will send all of it off-list.
        Per a February 1911 Daily Reflector article that he includes in his post, Fred Venters [your GGGrandfather] is 105 and possibly is the oldest man in NC. His son, who is also name Fred, is 76. Both men had been slaves of George W. Venters.
        The posts included 1870-1930 census information.
        Hope this helps, Marcia

        connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:
        Are there any Institutional records still in existance for the Pitt Co
        Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for Fredrick (Fred)
        Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at least 100, and may have lived a few years more, so far I have had no luck.

        Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it is noted he removed the body (1935)
        Any information would be very appreciated.

        .

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
          Judy & Connie,
          The 1910 census below shows Fred Venters, who died in 1935, and his father before they went to the Pitt County Farm Home. Susan was not mentioned in the Daily Reflector article in Feb. 1911. Perhaps she died before 1911 and the men couldn't manage on their own.

          1910 Swift Creek Township, Pitt County, North Carolina
          217/217
          Fred Venters, head, b, m, 75, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
          Susan, wife, b, f, 77, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
          Fred, father, mu, m, 101, widow, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC

          - - - -
          Looking at Benjamin Venters' family:
          Benjamin, Sr. [1764-1834] has children with his wife, Sarah Ann (Smith) Venters [1766-1830] from 1878 to at least 1811. He lives longer than his wife about 70 years.

          His known sons are:
          Benjamin, Jr. [before 1790 - 1836] By 1804, he would have been at least age 15 and could have begot a child or two. He married in 1921.
          Samuel Venters [c1795 - 1824] Age 15 by 1910. His daughter was born in 1818.
          George Washington Venters, Sr. [1811-1904] - Living about 97 years, proof that longevity is in this family, but too young to be Fred's sire.
          .
          Marcia

          "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:
          I have looked at the "V" death index from Pitt County for 1913 - 1961 and do not find a Fredrick (Fred) Venters listed. I do see Jordan's listed and his father is listed as Shade Venters. No mother is listed. Prior to 1913, they were not keeping death certificates.
          Judy

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
            Bill,
            I know this came up before.
            Has anyone checked to see if these records were sent to Raleigh?
            Marcia

          • Bill Kittrell
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
              No, not that I know about. The ones I ask, except the gentleman who had
              seen them years ago, could tell me nothing. They could be in storage
              somewhere and no one knows what they are.
              Bill