Re: [genpcncfir] PITT Co FARM HOME/Vemter's Death Certificate

  • Judy N. Lewis
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
      I have looked at the "V" death index from Pitt County for 1913 - 1961 and do not find a Fredrick (Fred) Venters listed.  I do see Jordan's listed and his father is listed as Shade Venters.  No mother is listed.  Prior to 1913, they were not keeping death certificates.

      Judy

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
        Dear Bill & Conni,
        It was Ed Flanagan who ran the funeral home. He
        was, I understand, a brother of John Flanagan. John
        started out as an apprentice to the original owner of
        a buggy company in Greenville then years later opened
        his own company, John Flanagan's Buggy Company.
        It was still John Flanagan's Buggy Company in 1953
        when Mama bought her lovely pea green Ford F-100
        Pick-up truck with optional heater and radio.
        Mama never did get the optional radio. She was
        totally deaf in her right ear from a bout with measles
        when 12 years old. Most people did not know it, but
        Mama read lips in addition to "listening."
        She became very adept at changing her response when
        a "reading" of a person's face showed shock at what
        she had said in response to what she thought she had
        "heard."
        In a household like that, who could help having a
        sense of humor?
        Funnier still was that Mama's first boss at
        Richmond Professional Institute, now Virginia
        Commonwealth University here in Richmond with M.C.V.
        being the medical division and V.C.U. the academic
        division, was completely deaf. She wore a hearing aid,
        but back then the aid left a bit to be desired.
        She and Mama often exchanged questionning looks
        with one another and other body language when a
        student came in and said something that made both
        doubt their senses.
        One example was when a student came in requesting a
        transcript and gave his name as "Windshittle."
        After a few puzzled glances, Mama's boss asked the
        student: "How do you spell your last name?"
        Mama's co-workers, like Mama, were also natives of
        Greenville, North Carolina and had known Mama for
        years. Therefore, knowing exactly what was playing out
        in the minds of both Mama and their boss. It was all
        these two could do to keep from cracking up. Mama
        reported that she was unable to look at either of them
        the whole time the student was in the room.
        I had my own test of Mama's hearing acuity when
        riding with her to work one day. I told her that my
        brother was going to peroxide his hair--these were the
        50's and this hair treatment had become the rage with
        a song about a "patched up blonde with peroxided hair"
        and "his baby" but "ain't no square."
        Mama said, "That's okay."
        I said, "What? Did you understand what I just
        said?"
        Mama replied, "Yes. So what's the problem with
        it?"
        Since I wasn't my brother's mom, I said, "Nothing
        if it's all right with you. I just thought you might
        want to know."
        The subject was dropped until that evening when we
        got home and Mama saw that whitened hair that used to
        be burnt copper.
        Immediately she turned to me and said, "Why didn't
        you tell me about this?"
        That's when I replayed the morning's conversation
        with her.
        Instead of giving both of us a good whack, she
        simply shook her head and ordered my brother to
        shampoo his hair, told him that she hoped it didn't
        fall out, and ended with a desire that he get sick of
        looking at it before it was over. Her final word was,
        "Don't ever again do anything to change your
        appearance without first discussing it with me."
        Not having a radio on that 1953 Ford F-100 was no
        loss on me either. I enjoyed the time I got to spend
        with Mama on our rides and to talk with her,
        miscommunications and all.
        I cannot say the same, unfortunately, for that
        heater option she chose to forego.
        Mama bought the truck in the summer of 1953
        primarily to pick up our tobacco hands from Greenville
        and to take them home again in the evenings without
        having to rely upon anyone else to do it.
        Transportation was a problem because Uncle Mark could
        not get a license. His two detached retina, a result
        of his having been born with Marfan's Syndrome, made
        it impossible for him to see through a windshield.
        Before cars had windshields, he drove, and all his
        life, he could drive our tractor from the fields to
        the house. However, he could not see well enough to
        disc or to mark rows or to plow, so Mama did all the
        field work requiring use of the tractor while Uncle
        Mark attached all the machinery. The mechanical end of
        it was close-up work that he could feel and see and
        thus could perform. His glasses + a magnifying glass
        allowed him to read, so academics was no problem for
        him.
        The truck, as I said, had no heater. In the North
        Carolina summer, we never missed the heater.
        That November, though, Mama and Uncle Mark bought
        a 47-acre farm in Hanover County, Virginia. That
        winter was about the coldest on record here in
        Virginia. Our water pipes froze over and over again,
        and I went down to the creek with soap and towel to
        bathe. My brothers and sister sponged off and let it
        go at that. No way were they going to bathe in an icy
        creek.
        Waiting in the truck at the end of our 7/10 mile
        lane with Mama for our school bus, by the time that
        bus arrived, I had blue and purple hands and feet
        blanched white and numb with cold.
        Multiply this experience a thousand times over the
        next 10 years riding to town and later to work in
        Richmond with Mama in that heaterless truck, and you
        might get some idea of human misery and the mindset
        that would make a heater "optional."
        The good news was that months before that truck
        uttered its last gasp, Mama "optioned" for a heater.
        As for me, my acute suffering from the cold was
        the result of an undiagnosed, untreated
        non-functioning thyroid gland the complications of
        which nearly caused my death.
        "All's well that ends well," as Shakespeare put
        it. As for me, I have a heater in my car, and I
        "optioned" for air conditioning once it was available.
        By the way, another Flanagan in Greenville, Walter
        Flanagan, opened the first black funeral home.
        I believe it was my great uncle Edward Marcellus
        McGowan who had sometimes worked as a young man with
        the Flanagans.
        Later, Carol

        --- connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:

        > Are there any Institutional records still in
        > existance for the Pitt Co
        > Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for
        > Fredrick ( Fred )
        > Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at
        > least 100, and may
        > have lived a few years more, so far I have had no
        > luck.
        >
        > Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker
        > Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on
        > my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it
        > is noted he removed
        > the body (1935)
        > Any information would be very appreciated.

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
          Connie,
          This answer is more for your previous email dated: 06 Mar 2006
          Subject: FREDERIC VENTERS FORMER SLAVE OF BENJAMIN VENTERS ???

          Searching Google for "frederic venters", I found item saved on Jul 15, 2007
          www.jenforum.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?venters::344.html
          Posted By: David Johnson on November 10, 2004
          Subject: Re: still another Venters line ( multi -racial ) for you.

          In case you are unable to retrieve this, I will send all of it off-list.
          Per a February 1911 Daily Reflector article that he includes in his post, Fred Venters [your GGGrandfather] is 105 and possibly is the oldest man in NC. His son, who is also name Fred, is 76. Both men had been slaves of George W. Venters.
          The posts included 1870-1930 census information.
          Hope this helps, Marcia

          connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:
          Are there any Institutional records still in existance for the Pitt Co
          Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for Fredrick (Fred)
          Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at least 100, and may have lived a few years more, so far I have had no luck.

          Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it is noted he removed the body (1935)
          Any information would be very appreciated.

          .

        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
            Judy & Connie,
            The 1910 census below shows Fred Venters, who died in 1935, and his father before they went to the Pitt County Farm Home. Susan was not mentioned in the Daily Reflector article in Feb. 1911. Perhaps she died before 1911 and the men couldn't manage on their own.

            1910 Swift Creek Township, Pitt County, North Carolina
            217/217
            Fred Venters, head, b, m, 75, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
            Susan, wife, b, f, 77, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
            Fred, father, mu, m, 101, widow, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC

            - - - -
            Looking at Benjamin Venters' family:
            Benjamin, Sr. [1764-1834] has children with his wife, Sarah Ann (Smith) Venters [1766-1830] from 1878 to at least 1811. He lives longer than his wife about 70 years.

            His known sons are:
            Benjamin, Jr. [before 1790 - 1836] By 1804, he would have been at least age 15 and could have begot a child or two. He married in 1921.
            Samuel Venters [c1795 - 1824] Age 15 by 1910. His daughter was born in 1818.
            George Washington Venters, Sr. [1811-1904] - Living about 97 years, proof that longevity is in this family, but too young to be Fred's sire.
            .
            Marcia

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
              Bill,
              I know this came up before.
              Has anyone checked to see if these records were sent to Raleigh?
              Marcia

            • Bill Kittrell
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                No, not that I know about. The ones I ask, except the gentleman who had
                seen them years ago, could tell me nothing. They could be in storage
                somewhere and no one knows what they are.
                Bill