Re: [genpcncfir] PITT Co FARM HOME................. UNDERTAKER FLANAGAN PITT Co

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
      I have tried to find records from the County Home. I checked with the
      county offices and no one could tell me of any records. I talked with a
      gentleman that worked for the county years ago. He said he had seen some
      records but had no idea what happen to them. He thought they may have
      either been put in storage or thrown away. I ask some of the County
      Commissioners to inquire about them for me. They could not find out
      anything.

      The County Home cemetery is on the west side of County Home Road, across
      from the old home. A friend of mine's father lived in the house across the
      road. He was a caretaker at one time.

      I have checked the cemetery. Just a few stones but a lot of places that
      appeared to be graves. This friend told me headstones were not available
      and his father would place a piece of concrete to mark a grave. The last
      person buried there was in the early 1960s by Wilkerson Funeral Home. It
      was baby that died at birth. Mr. Sutton knew of this as he helped bury the
      baby.

      Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
        Dear Bill,
        A couple of my McGowan great uncles were
        superintendents of the County Home. Our farm adjoined
        it.
        In one census record at least, the residents of the
        County Home were listed, but I forget which one.
        When I talked a few years ago to Wilkerson's, none
        of the boys had any plot records to show who owned
        what plots or where anyone was buried--at least that
        what I was told over the phone.
        The best bet I think now is for me to go back
        through as many of my books and notes tonight as I can
        and see if I locate the Venters we were asked about.
        I feel sure that I will turn up something.
        As for John Flanagan, I think that it was one of my
        McGowan great uncles who joined him in the undertaking
        business. That information also is in one of my
        scribblings.
        I find in Greenwood Cemetery Margaret G., wife of
        Claude Venters Nov 28, 1866-March 31, 1944; Henry C.
        Venters June 18, 1866-May 8, 1940, and his wife Mary
        Leona Venters,March 10, 1871-March 9, 1932.
        I'll dig at home and get back to you tomorrow.
        Later, Carol

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
      • Judy N. Lewis
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
          I have looked at the "V" death index from Pitt County for 1913 - 1961 and do not find a Fredrick (Fred) Venters listed.  I do see Jordan's listed and his father is listed as Shade Venters.  No mother is listed.  Prior to 1913, they were not keeping death certificates.

          Judy

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
            Dear Bill & Conni,
            It was Ed Flanagan who ran the funeral home. He
            was, I understand, a brother of John Flanagan. John
            started out as an apprentice to the original owner of
            a buggy company in Greenville then years later opened
            his own company, John Flanagan's Buggy Company.
            It was still John Flanagan's Buggy Company in 1953
            when Mama bought her lovely pea green Ford F-100
            Pick-up truck with optional heater and radio.
            Mama never did get the optional radio. She was
            totally deaf in her right ear from a bout with measles
            when 12 years old. Most people did not know it, but
            Mama read lips in addition to "listening."
            She became very adept at changing her response when
            a "reading" of a person's face showed shock at what
            she had said in response to what she thought she had
            "heard."
            In a household like that, who could help having a
            sense of humor?
            Funnier still was that Mama's first boss at
            Richmond Professional Institute, now Virginia
            Commonwealth University here in Richmond with M.C.V.
            being the medical division and V.C.U. the academic
            division, was completely deaf. She wore a hearing aid,
            but back then the aid left a bit to be desired.
            She and Mama often exchanged questionning looks
            with one another and other body language when a
            student came in and said something that made both
            doubt their senses.
            One example was when a student came in requesting a
            transcript and gave his name as "Windshittle."
            After a few puzzled glances, Mama's boss asked the
            student: "How do you spell your last name?"
            Mama's co-workers, like Mama, were also natives of
            Greenville, North Carolina and had known Mama for
            years. Therefore, knowing exactly what was playing out
            in the minds of both Mama and their boss. It was all
            these two could do to keep from cracking up. Mama
            reported that she was unable to look at either of them
            the whole time the student was in the room.
            I had my own test of Mama's hearing acuity when
            riding with her to work one day. I told her that my
            brother was going to peroxide his hair--these were the
            50's and this hair treatment had become the rage with
            a song about a "patched up blonde with peroxided hair"
            and "his baby" but "ain't no square."
            Mama said, "That's okay."
            I said, "What? Did you understand what I just
            said?"
            Mama replied, "Yes. So what's the problem with
            it?"
            Since I wasn't my brother's mom, I said, "Nothing
            if it's all right with you. I just thought you might
            want to know."
            The subject was dropped until that evening when we
            got home and Mama saw that whitened hair that used to
            be burnt copper.
            Immediately she turned to me and said, "Why didn't
            you tell me about this?"
            That's when I replayed the morning's conversation
            with her.
            Instead of giving both of us a good whack, she
            simply shook her head and ordered my brother to
            shampoo his hair, told him that she hoped it didn't
            fall out, and ended with a desire that he get sick of
            looking at it before it was over. Her final word was,
            "Don't ever again do anything to change your
            appearance without first discussing it with me."
            Not having a radio on that 1953 Ford F-100 was no
            loss on me either. I enjoyed the time I got to spend
            with Mama on our rides and to talk with her,
            miscommunications and all.
            I cannot say the same, unfortunately, for that
            heater option she chose to forego.
            Mama bought the truck in the summer of 1953
            primarily to pick up our tobacco hands from Greenville
            and to take them home again in the evenings without
            having to rely upon anyone else to do it.
            Transportation was a problem because Uncle Mark could
            not get a license. His two detached retina, a result
            of his having been born with Marfan's Syndrome, made
            it impossible for him to see through a windshield.
            Before cars had windshields, he drove, and all his
            life, he could drive our tractor from the fields to
            the house. However, he could not see well enough to
            disc or to mark rows or to plow, so Mama did all the
            field work requiring use of the tractor while Uncle
            Mark attached all the machinery. The mechanical end of
            it was close-up work that he could feel and see and
            thus could perform. His glasses + a magnifying glass
            allowed him to read, so academics was no problem for
            him.
            The truck, as I said, had no heater. In the North
            Carolina summer, we never missed the heater.
            That November, though, Mama and Uncle Mark bought
            a 47-acre farm in Hanover County, Virginia. That
            winter was about the coldest on record here in
            Virginia. Our water pipes froze over and over again,
            and I went down to the creek with soap and towel to
            bathe. My brothers and sister sponged off and let it
            go at that. No way were they going to bathe in an icy
            creek.
            Waiting in the truck at the end of our 7/10 mile
            lane with Mama for our school bus, by the time that
            bus arrived, I had blue and purple hands and feet
            blanched white and numb with cold.
            Multiply this experience a thousand times over the
            next 10 years riding to town and later to work in
            Richmond with Mama in that heaterless truck, and you
            might get some idea of human misery and the mindset
            that would make a heater "optional."
            The good news was that months before that truck
            uttered its last gasp, Mama "optioned" for a heater.
            As for me, my acute suffering from the cold was
            the result of an undiagnosed, untreated
            non-functioning thyroid gland the complications of
            which nearly caused my death.
            "All's well that ends well," as Shakespeare put
            it. As for me, I have a heater in my car, and I
            "optioned" for air conditioning once it was available.
            By the way, another Flanagan in Greenville, Walter
            Flanagan, opened the first black funeral home.
            I believe it was my great uncle Edward Marcellus
            McGowan who had sometimes worked as a young man with
            the Flanagans.
            Later, Carol

            --- connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:

            > Are there any Institutional records still in
            > existance for the Pitt Co
            > Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for
            > Fredrick ( Fred )
            > Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at
            > least 100, and may
            > have lived a few years more, so far I have had no
            > luck.
            >
            > Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker
            > Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on
            > my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it
            > is noted he removed
            > the body (1935)
            > Any information would be very appreciated.

          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
              Connie,
              This answer is more for your previous email dated: 06 Mar 2006
              Subject: FREDERIC VENTERS FORMER SLAVE OF BENJAMIN VENTERS ???

              Searching Google for "frederic venters", I found item saved on Jul 15, 2007
              www.jenforum.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?venters::344.html
              Posted By: David Johnson on November 10, 2004
              Subject: Re: still another Venters line ( multi -racial ) for you.

              In case you are unable to retrieve this, I will send all of it off-list.
              Per a February 1911 Daily Reflector article that he includes in his post, Fred Venters [your GGGrandfather] is 105 and possibly is the oldest man in NC. His son, who is also name Fred, is 76. Both men had been slaves of George W. Venters.
              The posts included 1870-1930 census information.
              Hope this helps, Marcia

              connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:
              Are there any Institutional records still in existance for the Pitt Co
              Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for Fredrick (Fred)
              Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at least 100, and may have lived a few years more, so far I have had no luck.

              Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it is noted he removed the body (1935)
              Any information would be very appreciated.

              .

            • Marcia McLawhorn
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                Judy & Connie,
                The 1910 census below shows Fred Venters, who died in 1935, and his father before they went to the Pitt County Farm Home. Susan was not mentioned in the Daily Reflector article in Feb. 1911. Perhaps she died before 1911 and the men couldn't manage on their own.

                1910 Swift Creek Township, Pitt County, North Carolina
                217/217
                Fred Venters, head, b, m, 75, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
                Susan, wife, b, f, 77, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
                Fred, father, mu, m, 101, widow, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC

                - - - -
                Looking at Benjamin Venters' family:
                Benjamin, Sr. [1764-1834] has children with his wife, Sarah Ann (Smith) Venters [1766-1830] from 1878 to at least 1811. He lives longer than his wife about 70 years.

                His known sons are:
                Benjamin, Jr. [before 1790 - 1836] By 1804, he would have been at least age 15 and could have begot a child or two. He married in 1921.
                Samuel Venters [c1795 - 1824] Age 15 by 1910. His daughter was born in 1818.
                George Washington Venters, Sr. [1811-1904] - Living about 97 years, proof that longevity is in this family, but too young to be Fred's sire.
                .
                Marcia

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                  Bill,
                  I know this came up before.
                  Has anyone checked to see if these records were sent to Raleigh?
                  Marcia

                • Bill Kittrell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                    No, not that I know about. The ones I ask, except the gentleman who had
                    seen them years ago, could tell me nothing. They could be in storage
                    somewhere and no one knows what they are.
                    Bill