PITT Co FARM HOME................. UNDERTAKER FLANAGAN PITT Co

  • connieventerslewis
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
      Are there any Institutional records still in existance for the Pitt Co
      Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for Fredrick ( Fred )
      Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at least 100, and may
      have lived a few years more, so far I have had no luck.

      Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on
      my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it is noted he removed
      the body (1935)
      Any information would be very appreciated.
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
        Dear Conni,
        Flanagan was the Flanagan who ran John Flanagan's
        Buggy Company. I believe that he initially had a
        partner in his undertaking business. I got my
        information through the PCFR website by reading Roger
        Kammerer's abstracts from the Greenville Eastern and
        Daily Reflector newspapers from 1882 to about 1907.
        These you may access through the PCFR web by year.
        It will take time to go through these, but you will
        find it a very rewarding experience for the volumes of
        information they contain.
        I have several notebooks where I took notes
        according to family surname and subject matter when I
        first read through them. This process took me three
        months but was well worth it.
        My family lived next door to the Pitt County Home,
        where we owned the adjoining land and where two of my
        great uncles from the McGowan line were
        Superintendents of what we called simply the County
        Home or the Pitt County Home.
        The residents of the Pitt County Home are listed in
        the Census Records as residents there.
        Your best bet for tracing your relative is to go to
        the Pitt County Courthouse in Greenville or have
        someone go for you and get a copy of the Death Record.

        In the meantime, I will do a quick check online and
        see if I can answer your questions either Frederick
        or Jordan Venters.
        Back in a few keystroke minutes.
        Carol
        --- connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:

        > Are there any Institutional records still in
        > existance for the Pitt Co
        > Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for
        > Fredrick ( Fred )
        > Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at
        > least 100, and may
        > have lived a few years more, so far I have had no
        > luck.
        >
        > Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker
        > Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on
        > my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it
        > is noted he removed
        > the body (1935)
        > Any information would be very appreciated.

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • Bill Kittrell
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
          I have tried to find records from the County Home. I checked with the
          county offices and no one could tell me of any records. I talked with a
          gentleman that worked for the county years ago. He said he had seen some
          records but had no idea what happen to them. He thought they may have
          either been put in storage or thrown away. I ask some of the County
          Commissioners to inquire about them for me. They could not find out
          anything.

          The County Home cemetery is on the west side of County Home Road, across
          from the old home. A friend of mine's father lived in the house across the
          road. He was a caretaker at one time.

          I have checked the cemetery. Just a few stones but a lot of places that
          appeared to be graves. This friend told me headstones were not available
          and his father would place a piece of concrete to mark a grave. The last
          person buried there was in the early 1960s by Wilkerson Funeral Home. It
          was baby that died at birth. Mr. Sutton knew of this as he helped bury the
          baby.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
            Dear Bill,
            A couple of my McGowan great uncles were
            superintendents of the County Home. Our farm adjoined
            it.
            In one census record at least, the residents of the
            County Home were listed, but I forget which one.
            When I talked a few years ago to Wilkerson's, none
            of the boys had any plot records to show who owned
            what plots or where anyone was buried--at least that
            what I was told over the phone.
            The best bet I think now is for me to go back
            through as many of my books and notes tonight as I can
            and see if I locate the Venters we were asked about.
            I feel sure that I will turn up something.
            As for John Flanagan, I think that it was one of my
            McGowan great uncles who joined him in the undertaking
            business. That information also is in one of my
            scribblings.
            I find in Greenwood Cemetery Margaret G., wife of
            Claude Venters Nov 28, 1866-March 31, 1944; Henry C.
            Venters June 18, 1866-May 8, 1940, and his wife Mary
            Leona Venters,March 10, 1871-March 9, 1932.
            I'll dig at home and get back to you tomorrow.
            Later, Carol

            http://farechase.yahoo.com/
          • Judy N. Lewis
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007
              I have looked at the "V" death index from Pitt County for 1913 - 1961 and do not find a Fredrick (Fred) Venters listed.  I do see Jordan's listed and his father is listed as Shade Venters.  No mother is listed.  Prior to 1913, they were not keeping death certificates.

              Judy

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                Dear Bill & Conni,
                It was Ed Flanagan who ran the funeral home. He
                was, I understand, a brother of John Flanagan. John
                started out as an apprentice to the original owner of
                a buggy company in Greenville then years later opened
                his own company, John Flanagan's Buggy Company.
                It was still John Flanagan's Buggy Company in 1953
                when Mama bought her lovely pea green Ford F-100
                Pick-up truck with optional heater and radio.
                Mama never did get the optional radio. She was
                totally deaf in her right ear from a bout with measles
                when 12 years old. Most people did not know it, but
                Mama read lips in addition to "listening."
                She became very adept at changing her response when
                a "reading" of a person's face showed shock at what
                she had said in response to what she thought she had
                "heard."
                In a household like that, who could help having a
                sense of humor?
                Funnier still was that Mama's first boss at
                Richmond Professional Institute, now Virginia
                Commonwealth University here in Richmond with M.C.V.
                being the medical division and V.C.U. the academic
                division, was completely deaf. She wore a hearing aid,
                but back then the aid left a bit to be desired.
                She and Mama often exchanged questionning looks
                with one another and other body language when a
                student came in and said something that made both
                doubt their senses.
                One example was when a student came in requesting a
                transcript and gave his name as "Windshittle."
                After a few puzzled glances, Mama's boss asked the
                student: "How do you spell your last name?"
                Mama's co-workers, like Mama, were also natives of
                Greenville, North Carolina and had known Mama for
                years. Therefore, knowing exactly what was playing out
                in the minds of both Mama and their boss. It was all
                these two could do to keep from cracking up. Mama
                reported that she was unable to look at either of them
                the whole time the student was in the room.
                I had my own test of Mama's hearing acuity when
                riding with her to work one day. I told her that my
                brother was going to peroxide his hair--these were the
                50's and this hair treatment had become the rage with
                a song about a "patched up blonde with peroxided hair"
                and "his baby" but "ain't no square."
                Mama said, "That's okay."
                I said, "What? Did you understand what I just
                said?"
                Mama replied, "Yes. So what's the problem with
                it?"
                Since I wasn't my brother's mom, I said, "Nothing
                if it's all right with you. I just thought you might
                want to know."
                The subject was dropped until that evening when we
                got home and Mama saw that whitened hair that used to
                be burnt copper.
                Immediately she turned to me and said, "Why didn't
                you tell me about this?"
                That's when I replayed the morning's conversation
                with her.
                Instead of giving both of us a good whack, she
                simply shook her head and ordered my brother to
                shampoo his hair, told him that she hoped it didn't
                fall out, and ended with a desire that he get sick of
                looking at it before it was over. Her final word was,
                "Don't ever again do anything to change your
                appearance without first discussing it with me."
                Not having a radio on that 1953 Ford F-100 was no
                loss on me either. I enjoyed the time I got to spend
                with Mama on our rides and to talk with her,
                miscommunications and all.
                I cannot say the same, unfortunately, for that
                heater option she chose to forego.
                Mama bought the truck in the summer of 1953
                primarily to pick up our tobacco hands from Greenville
                and to take them home again in the evenings without
                having to rely upon anyone else to do it.
                Transportation was a problem because Uncle Mark could
                not get a license. His two detached retina, a result
                of his having been born with Marfan's Syndrome, made
                it impossible for him to see through a windshield.
                Before cars had windshields, he drove, and all his
                life, he could drive our tractor from the fields to
                the house. However, he could not see well enough to
                disc or to mark rows or to plow, so Mama did all the
                field work requiring use of the tractor while Uncle
                Mark attached all the machinery. The mechanical end of
                it was close-up work that he could feel and see and
                thus could perform. His glasses + a magnifying glass
                allowed him to read, so academics was no problem for
                him.
                The truck, as I said, had no heater. In the North
                Carolina summer, we never missed the heater.
                That November, though, Mama and Uncle Mark bought
                a 47-acre farm in Hanover County, Virginia. That
                winter was about the coldest on record here in
                Virginia. Our water pipes froze over and over again,
                and I went down to the creek with soap and towel to
                bathe. My brothers and sister sponged off and let it
                go at that. No way were they going to bathe in an icy
                creek.
                Waiting in the truck at the end of our 7/10 mile
                lane with Mama for our school bus, by the time that
                bus arrived, I had blue and purple hands and feet
                blanched white and numb with cold.
                Multiply this experience a thousand times over the
                next 10 years riding to town and later to work in
                Richmond with Mama in that heaterless truck, and you
                might get some idea of human misery and the mindset
                that would make a heater "optional."
                The good news was that months before that truck
                uttered its last gasp, Mama "optioned" for a heater.
                As for me, my acute suffering from the cold was
                the result of an undiagnosed, untreated
                non-functioning thyroid gland the complications of
                which nearly caused my death.
                "All's well that ends well," as Shakespeare put
                it. As for me, I have a heater in my car, and I
                "optioned" for air conditioning once it was available.
                By the way, another Flanagan in Greenville, Walter
                Flanagan, opened the first black funeral home.
                I believe it was my great uncle Edward Marcellus
                McGowan who had sometimes worked as a young man with
                the Flanagans.
                Later, Carol

                --- connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:

                > Are there any Institutional records still in
                > existance for the Pitt Co
                > Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for
                > Fredrick ( Fred )
                > Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at
                > least 100, and may
                > have lived a few years more, so far I have had no
                > luck.
                >
                > Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker
                > Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on
                > my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it
                > is noted he removed
                > the body (1935)
                > Any information would be very appreciated.

              • Marcia McLawhorn
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                  Connie,
                  This answer is more for your previous email dated: 06 Mar 2006
                  Subject: FREDERIC VENTERS FORMER SLAVE OF BENJAMIN VENTERS ???

                  Searching Google for "frederic venters", I found item saved on Jul 15, 2007
                  www.jenforum.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?venters::344.html
                  Posted By: David Johnson on November 10, 2004
                  Subject: Re: still another Venters line ( multi -racial ) for you.

                  In case you are unable to retrieve this, I will send all of it off-list.
                  Per a February 1911 Daily Reflector article that he includes in his post, Fred Venters [your GGGrandfather] is 105 and possibly is the oldest man in NC. His son, who is also name Fred, is 76. Both men had been slaves of George W. Venters.
                  The posts included 1870-1930 census information.
                  Hope this helps, Marcia

                  connieventerslewis <c_lewis43@...> wrote:
                  Are there any Institutional records still in existance for the Pitt Co
                  Farm Home, I am trying to find a death record for Fredrick (Fred)
                  Venters who was admitted in 1911 at the age of at least 100, and may have lived a few years more, so far I have had no luck.

                  Does anyone know the history of the Undertaker Flanagan in Pitt Co ? on my GGfather's Jordan Venter's death certificate it is noted he removed the body (1935)
                  Any information would be very appreciated.

                  .

                • Marcia McLawhorn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Judy & Connie,
                    The 1910 census below shows Fred Venters, who died in 1935, and his father before they went to the Pitt County Farm Home. Susan was not mentioned in the Daily Reflector article in Feb. 1911. Perhaps she died before 1911 and the men couldn't manage on their own.

                    1910 Swift Creek Township, Pitt County, North Carolina
                    217/217
                    Fred Venters, head, b, m, 75, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
                    Susan, wife, b, f, 77, 2nd marriage, 12 years, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC
                    Fred, father, mu, m, 101, widow, b NC, father b NC, mother b NC

                    - - - -
                    Looking at Benjamin Venters' family:
                    Benjamin, Sr. [1764-1834] has children with his wife, Sarah Ann (Smith) Venters [1766-1830] from 1878 to at least 1811. He lives longer than his wife about 70 years.

                    His known sons are:
                    Benjamin, Jr. [before 1790 - 1836] By 1804, he would have been at least age 15 and could have begot a child or two. He married in 1921.
                    Samuel Venters [c1795 - 1824] Age 15 by 1910. His daughter was born in 1818.
                    George Washington Venters, Sr. [1811-1904] - Living about 97 years, proof that longevity is in this family, but too young to be Fred's sire.
                    .
                    Marcia

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                      Bill,
                      I know this came up before.
                      Has anyone checked to see if these records were sent to Raleigh?
                      Marcia

                    • Bill Kittrell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 28, 2007
                        No, not that I know about. The ones I ask, except the gentleman who had
                        seen them years ago, could tell me nothing. They could be in storage
                        somewhere and no one knows what they are.
                        Bill