Re: [genpcncfir] Cherry family of Pitt (Beaufort) County

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
      Dear Liz,
      I'll get back to you with chapter and verse, as
      they say.
      Later, Carol
      --- liz_sparrow <liz_sparrow@...> wrote:

      > Carol, noting your interest in the Cherry family,
      > have you found the
      > Rev. John Cherry (will dated 1817) who supposedly
      > was the son of
      > Samuel Cherry? I would love to know more about John
      > and who his wife
      > was. They were from Pitt County, which was
      > originally Beaufort
      > County.
      >
      > Thanks........Liz
      >
      > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
      > <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Beth,
      > > Thanks! No, I had no idea of its existence. In
      > > fact, I did not even know about Virginia Davis
      > until I
      > > read her obituary.
      > > I have done very little research on Virginia
      > > families. However, my interest was aroused when
      > > researching my Cherry line, I found that this
      > family
      > > had first settled in Norfolk, Virginia in 1632. I
      > had
      > > absolutely no idea that any of my relatives had
      > first
      > > settled here.
      > > Having made this discovery a few years back led
      > > my taking note of publications on Virginia
      > families
      > > and sharing this information with our group.
      > > Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all
      > of
      > > us.
      > > Sincerely, Carol

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
        Dear Liz,
        In Chronicles I on pp. 225 and following is much
        of the Cherry information I have passed on through
        Bill Kittrell's e-mail.
        The family came to the New World in 1632,
        settling in Norfolk, Virginia. This first ancestor
        worked at the shipyard in Norfolk, Virginia. It still
        exists and is going strong.
        More later, Carol

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
          Dear Liz,
          I did not know that John Cherry was a minister. I
          have never seen his will. Can you tell me where I can
          find it?
          In Chronicles I and the following pages on the
          Cherry line, that line is not linked to the McGowans.
          Additionally, I do not think the McGowans had separate
          entries on their line. Then there is Gatsey Llwellyn
          Cherry's line to William Teel as well as to Catherine
          Teel, the second wife of John McGowan my great
          grandfather.
          However, when I corresponded with John Teel about
          Rachel Teel the first wife of John McGowan and mother
          of the four sons mentioned in his will, John Teel knew
          nothing about her.
          I would think it very odd, given the McGowan
          tradition of marrying related women, if Rachel turned
          out to be totally unrelated to these Teels.
          However, accepting that possibility, if you know
          anyone who might have Teel information or whose family
          is not related to that of John Teel, I would be
          grateful if you would pass along my information and
          ask if anyone would be willing to share information
          about Rachel. I do not even know where she is buried.
          Thanks, Carol