Cherry family of Pitt (Beaufort) County

  • liz_sparrow
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
      Carol, noting your interest in the Cherry family, have you found the
      Rev. John Cherry (will dated 1817) who supposedly was the son of
      Samuel Cherry? I would love to know more about John and who his wife
      was. They were from Pitt County, which was originally Beaufort
      County.

      Thanks........Liz

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
        Dear Liz,
        I'll get back to you with chapter and verse, as
        they say.
        Later, Carol
        --- liz_sparrow <liz_sparrow@...> wrote:

        > Carol, noting your interest in the Cherry family,
        > have you found the
        > Rev. John Cherry (will dated 1817) who supposedly
        > was the son of
        > Samuel Cherry? I would love to know more about John
        > and who his wife
        > was. They were from Pitt County, which was
        > originally Beaufort
        > County.
        >
        > Thanks........Liz
        >
        > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
        > <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear Beth,
        > > Thanks! No, I had no idea of its existence. In
        > > fact, I did not even know about Virginia Davis
        > until I
        > > read her obituary.
        > > I have done very little research on Virginia
        > > families. However, my interest was aroused when
        > > researching my Cherry line, I found that this
        > family
        > > had first settled in Norfolk, Virginia in 1632. I
        > had
        > > absolutely no idea that any of my relatives had
        > first
        > > settled here.
        > > Having made this discovery a few years back led
        > > my taking note of publications on Virginia
        > families
        > > and sharing this information with our group.
        > > Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all
        > of
        > > us.
        > > Sincerely, Carol

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
          Dear Liz,
          In Chronicles I on pp. 225 and following is much
          of the Cherry information I have passed on through
          Bill Kittrell's e-mail.
          The family came to the New World in 1632,
          settling in Norfolk, Virginia. This first ancestor
          worked at the shipyard in Norfolk, Virginia. It still
          exists and is going strong.
          More later, Carol

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
            Dear Liz,
            I did not know that John Cherry was a minister. I
            have never seen his will. Can you tell me where I can
            find it?
            In Chronicles I and the following pages on the
            Cherry line, that line is not linked to the McGowans.
            Additionally, I do not think the McGowans had separate
            entries on their line. Then there is Gatsey Llwellyn
            Cherry's line to William Teel as well as to Catherine
            Teel, the second wife of John McGowan my great
            grandfather.
            However, when I corresponded with John Teel about
            Rachel Teel the first wife of John McGowan and mother
            of the four sons mentioned in his will, John Teel knew
            nothing about her.
            I would think it very odd, given the McGowan
            tradition of marrying related women, if Rachel turned
            out to be totally unrelated to these Teels.
            However, accepting that possibility, if you know
            anyone who might have Teel information or whose family
            is not related to that of John Teel, I would be
            grateful if you would pass along my information and
            ask if anyone would be willing to share information
            about Rachel. I do not even know where she is buried.
            Thanks, Carol