Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Tidewater Va Families Site

  • Countyline69
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2007
      You may already know this but there is a website at this address http://users.erols.com/tvf/ that tells more about Virginia Davis and the "Tidewater Virginia Families."
      Beth Allsbrook
      (May have to cut and paste to your browser.)

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
        Dear Beth,
        Thanks! No, I had no idea of its existence. In
        fact, I did not even know about Virginia Davis until I
        read her obituary.
        I have done very little research on Virginia
        families. However, my interest was aroused when
        researching my Cherry line, I found that this family
        had first settled in Norfolk, Virginia in 1632. I had
        absolutely no idea that any of my relatives had first
        settled here.
        Having made this discovery a few years back led to
        my taking note of publications on Virginia families
        and sharing this information with our group.
        Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of
        us.
        Sincerely, Carol
        --- Countyline69 <countyline69@...> wrote:

        > You may already know this but there is a website at
        > this address http://users.erols.com/tvf/ that tells
        > more about Virginia Davis and the "Tidewater
        > Virginia Families."
        > Beth Allsbrook
        > (May have to cut and paste to your browser.)

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • liz_sparrow
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
          Carol, noting your interest in the Cherry family, have you found the
          Rev. John Cherry (will dated 1817) who supposedly was the son of
          Samuel Cherry? I would love to know more about John and who his wife
          was. They were from Pitt County, which was originally Beaufort
          County.

          Thanks........Liz

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
            Dear Liz,
            I'll get back to you with chapter and verse, as
            they say.
            Later, Carol
            --- liz_sparrow <liz_sparrow@...> wrote:

            > Carol, noting your interest in the Cherry family,
            > have you found the
            > Rev. John Cherry (will dated 1817) who supposedly
            > was the son of
            > Samuel Cherry? I would love to know more about John
            > and who his wife
            > was. They were from Pitt County, which was
            > originally Beaufort
            > County.
            >
            > Thanks........Liz
            >
            > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
            > <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Beth,
            > > Thanks! No, I had no idea of its existence. In
            > > fact, I did not even know about Virginia Davis
            > until I
            > > read her obituary.
            > > I have done very little research on Virginia
            > > families. However, my interest was aroused when
            > > researching my Cherry line, I found that this
            > family
            > > had first settled in Norfolk, Virginia in 1632. I
            > had
            > > absolutely no idea that any of my relatives had
            > first
            > > settled here.
            > > Having made this discovery a few years back led
            > > my taking note of publications on Virginia
            > families
            > > and sharing this information with our group.
            > > Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all
            > of
            > > us.
            > > Sincerely, Carol

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
              Dear Liz,
              In Chronicles I on pp. 225 and following is much
              of the Cherry information I have passed on through
              Bill Kittrell's e-mail.
              The family came to the New World in 1632,
              settling in Norfolk, Virginia. This first ancestor
              worked at the shipyard in Norfolk, Virginia. It still
              exists and is going strong.
              More later, Carol

              http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 27, 2007
                Dear Liz,
                I did not know that John Cherry was a minister. I
                have never seen his will. Can you tell me where I can
                find it?
                In Chronicles I and the following pages on the
                Cherry line, that line is not linked to the McGowans.
                Additionally, I do not think the McGowans had separate
                entries on their line. Then there is Gatsey Llwellyn
                Cherry's line to William Teel as well as to Catherine
                Teel, the second wife of John McGowan my great
                grandfather.
                However, when I corresponded with John Teel about
                Rachel Teel the first wife of John McGowan and mother
                of the four sons mentioned in his will, John Teel knew
                nothing about her.
                I would think it very odd, given the McGowan
                tradition of marrying related women, if Rachel turned
                out to be totally unrelated to these Teels.
                However, accepting that possibility, if you know
                anyone who might have Teel information or whose family
                is not related to that of John Teel, I would be
                grateful if you would pass along my information and
                ask if anyone would be willing to share information
                about Rachel. I do not even know where she is buried.
                Thanks, Carol