Re: Pitt County, N.C., cemetery books

  • liz_sparrow
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
      Hi, Carol. Glad to hear from you again. Yes, we do have copies of
      Chronicles I and II, as well as the Pitt County Architecture book--
      all of which are briefly described on the Publications page at our
      web site (www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com). I'm getting ready to
      update the site and add the cemetery survey. You are right that all
      of these books make great Christmas and birthday presents for family
      members, especially those interested in genealogy.

      Yes, I am very interested in learning more about the Davis woman you
      mentioned and her book concerning the Tidewater families of Virginia.

      Till later......Liz

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
      <csinghworthington@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > shipping as well. Thanks to my co-worker's
      > transferring to another nursing agency and leaving us
      > without coverage if the rest of us do not follow her,
      > my work schedule beyond September 1st is anybody's
      > guess, and that means I might not have the hours I
      > need on any given day to come for my order.
      > Other than my not being able to commit to coming
      > in person for my books, your announcement could not
      > have come at a better time: it's pay day, and thanks
      > to my having gotten in an extra shift before fall
      > classes started up, I do not have to revamp my budget.
      > No doubt you will be swamped with orders for these
      > volumes, so I will get my order out to you before
      > day's end.
      > Tell me, please, do you have copies of Chronicles
      > I & II left?
      > I would like to give copies as Christmas presents
      > this year to family members here who do not yet have
      > them.
      > Slightly off topic but possibly relevant to many
      > of our group, this morning's Richmond Times-Dispatch
      > contained the obituary of a local researcher whose
      > family arrived in the Norfolk, Virginia area before
      > 1616 and who has received national recognition for her
      > contributions to family history.
      > This lady, whose last name is Davis,
      > self-published her book on Tidewater families of
      > Virginia, the early settlers.
      > Of course, it's out of print! However, a publisher
      > has agreed to re-issue it, and I plan to order at
      > least one copy. I'll get back to you either today or
      > tomorrow with the exact title of the book as well as
      > ordering information.
      > Good to hear from you as usual. Love to the family
      > and all our fellow researchers, Carol
      >
      > --- liz_sparrow <liz_sparrow@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The long-awaited date is here! The Cemetery Survey
      > > of Pitt County,
      > > North Carolina—Book One and Book Two, compiled by
      > > Bill Kittrell and
      > > published by the Pitt County Historical Society, is
      > > scheduled to be
      > > released October 13, 2007. This 1700-page
      > > publication includes
      > > surveys of approximately 820 cemetery sites
      > > throughout Pitt County.
      > > The two books are sold together as a set for the low
      > > price of $50
      > > (tax included).
      > >
      > > Books will be available for pickup and purchase at
      > > Historic Red Banks
      > > Primitive Baptist Church, corner of 14th Street and
      > > Firetower Road,
      > > on Saturday, October 13, 2007, between the hours of
      > > 10 a.m. and 2
      > > p.m.
      > >
      > > Reserve your copy today for local pickup by mailing
      > > a check, made
      > > payable to PCHS, for $50 to Elizabeth Sparrow, 307
      > > Queen Anne's Road,
      > > Greenville, NC 27858. Add $10 per set if books need
      > > to be shipped,
      > > and be sure to include a mailing address.
      > >
      > > Please spread the word to friends, neighbors, and

      ______________
      mail, news, photos & more.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
        Dear Liz,
        Here goes. Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis, widow of
        James Williams Davis Sr. of Richmond and Williamsburg
        died Saturday, August 18, 2007.
        She was the author of the Tidewater Virginia
        Families books and editor/publisher of the quarterly
        publication, Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine
        of History and Genealogy.
        A member of the Order of First Families of
        Virginia [F.F.V.], the Jamestowne Society, the James
        City Company, Order of Descendants of Ancient
        Planters, Order of First Families of North Carolina,
        Colonial Dames of the Seventeenth-Century, National
        Genealogical Society, Association for the Preservation
        of Virginia Antiquities and other historical and
        genealogical societies.
        Member of the Henricus Foundation Advisory Board
        [original settlement in Henrico County was called
        "Henricus"]; Council member of The Jamestowne Society,
        past Governor of the Virginia Genealogical Society;
        and member of the Human Genetics Advisory Board,
        Virginia , Virginia Commonwealth, Medical College of
        Virginia.
        Survivors include children, Elizabeth Lee Wadkins
        Viet, M.D. and her husband Gordon Cheesman Viet,
        Tucson, Arizona; J. Thomas Wadkins III and his wife
        Robin Perdue Wadkins, Richmond, and Richard Cleveland
        Wadkins and his wife Helen Struthers Wadkins and their
        daughters of Edinburg, Virginia.
        The above obituary was published in Tuesday's
        Richmond Times-Dispatch, August 21, 2007.
        Yesterday an article in the Times-Dispatch
        celebrates Mrs. Davis's accomplishments under the
        caption, "Genealogy contributor Virginia Davis dies"
        by Jeremy Slayton, staff writer.
        The article is absolutely second to none. I
        wish that I had written it myself!
        What is of interest to us is that in 1989 she
        self-published 300 copies of "Tidewater Virginia
        Families," 'an 850-page book of 40 families all the
        way back to early Jamestown settlers.'
        In 1990, the Genalogical Publishing Co. in
        Baltimore published a version of the book without all
        the photos included in the first volume.
        Her book earned Mrs. Davis an award for
        excellence in genealogical and family history from the
        National Genealogical Society.
        Mrs. Davis and her son J. Thomas Wadkins III of
        Richmond collaborated on the quarterly "Tidewater
        Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and
        Genealogy, 'which had thousands of subscribers across
        the country.
        Now, back to my own voice, I will have J.
        Sargeant Reynolds library staff check for me on the
        current availability of "Tidewater Virginia Families"
        and see if it can be had and at what price.
        Apparently, the quarterly has been
        discontinued, but I'll see what I can find out about
        it.
        Since Mrs. Davis lived in Chesterfield County,
        I will see if its library system has a copy of her
        self-published volume if I cannot lay hands on it by
        other means.
        By the way, this lady was a research scientist
        at Phillip-Morris in real life. What a lady, I would
        say!
        Later, Carol

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
          Dear Liz,
          The book is in print. The ISBN is 0806312831,
          price $75.00, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1989.
          Area libraries here also have it including the
          Virginia Historical Society here in Richmond, the
          University of Richmond Library, Richmond and Henrico
          County Public Libraries, and the State Library of
          Virginia.
          Our librarian checked only libraries nearest our
          campus. It may be available as well at libraries
          outside this vicinity.
          Best of all, the book is circulating!
          Later, Carol

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
> [...]

            > > > Firetower Road,
            > > > on Saturday, October 13, 2007, between the hours
            > of
            > > > 10 a.m. and 2
            > > > p.m.
            > > >
            > > > Reserve your copy today for local pickup by
            > mailing
            > > > a check, made
            > > > payable to PCHS, for $50 to Elizabeth Sparrow,
            > 307
            > > > Queen Anne's Road,
            > > > Greenville, NC 27858. Add $10 per set if books
            > need
            > > > to be shipped,
            > > > and be sure to include a mailing address.
            > > >
            > > > Please spread the word to friends, neighbors,
            > and
            > > > relatives who may
            > > > be interested.
            > > >
            > > > Liz Sparrow

            > ______________
            > > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the

            Need a vacation? Get great deals
            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
            http://travel.yahoo.com/
          • Boyd Switzer
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
              Liz: I will be placing an order for the two book set by mail as
              instructed. I hope to have a relative pick them up Oct 13, since we will
              be out of the country on a trip.

              --
              Boyd R. Switzer, Ph.D.
              Associate Professor