Pitt County, N.C., cemetery books

  • liz_sparrow
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2007
      The long-awaited date is here! The Cemetery Survey of Pitt County,
      North Carolina—Book One and Book Two, compiled by Bill Kittrell and
      published by the Pitt County Historical Society, is scheduled to be
      released October 13, 2007. This 1700-page publication includes
      surveys of approximately 820 cemetery sites throughout Pitt County.
      The two books are sold together as a set for the low price of $50
      (tax included).

      Books will be available for pickup and purchase at Historic Red Banks
      Primitive Baptist Church, corner of 14th Street and Firetower Road,
      on Saturday, October 13, 2007, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2
      p.m.

      Reserve your copy today for local pickup by mailing a check, made
      payable to PCHS, for $50 to Elizabeth Sparrow, 307 Queen Anne's Road,
      Greenville, NC 27858. Add $10 per set if books need to be shipped,
      and be sure to include a mailing address.

      Please spread the word to friends, neighbors, and relatives who may
      be interested.

      Liz Sparrow
    • Judy N. Lewis
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2007
        YES!!!!!!!!!!!

        Thanks to everyone that participated in this project.  I know there were many hours and years of your time that you willingly gave to make this project a reality.  I can't wait to get my hands on these books.  I know they will be a wonderful genealogical resource.

        Judy

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2007
          Dear Liz,
          What a joy to read your e-mail! These volumes will
          be a godsend to me.
          I'll be sending you a check for my order and for
          shipping as well. Thanks to my co-worker's
          transferring to another nursing agency and leaving us
          without coverage if the rest of us do not follow her,
          my work schedule beyond September 1st is anybody's
          guess, and that means I might not have the hours I
          need on any given day to come for my order.
          Other than my not being able to commit to coming
          in person for my books, your announcement could not
          have come at a better time: it's pay day, and thanks
          to my having gotten in an extra shift before fall
          classes started up, I do not have to revamp my budget.
          No doubt you will be swamped with orders for these
          volumes, so I will get my order out to you before
          day's end.
          Tell me, please, do you have copies of Chronicles
          I & II left?
          I would like to give copies as Christmas presents
          this year to family members here who do not yet have
          them.
          Slightly off topic but possibly relevant to many
          of our group, this morning's Richmond Times-Dispatch
          contained the obituary of a local researcher whose
          family arrived in the Norfolk, Virginia area before
          1616 and who has received national recognition for her
          contributions to family history.
          This lady, whose last name is Davis,
          self-published her book on Tidewater families of
          Virginia, the early settlers.
          Of course, it's out of print! However, a publisher
          has agreed to re-issue it, and I plan to order at
          least one copy. I'll get back to you either today or
          tomorrow with the exact title of the book as well as
          ordering information.
          Good to hear from you as usual. Love to the family
          and all our fellow researchers, Carol

          --- liz_sparrow <liz_sparrow@...> wrote:

          > The long-awaited date is here! The Cemetery Survey
          > of Pitt County,
          > North Carolina—Book One and Book Two, compiled by
          > Bill Kittrell and
          > published by the Pitt County Historical Society, is
          > scheduled to be
          > released October 13, 2007. This 1700-page
          > publication includes
          > surveys of approximately 820 cemetery sites
          > throughout Pitt County.
          > The two books are sold together as a set for the low
          > price of $50
          > (tax included).
          >
          > Books will be available for pickup and purchase at
          > Historic Red Banks
          > Primitive Baptist Church, corner of 14th Street and
          > Firetower Road,
          > on Saturday, October 13, 2007, between the hours of
          > 10 a.m. and 2
          > p.m.
          >
          > Reserve your copy today for local pickup by mailing
          > a check, made
          > payable to PCHS, for $50 to Elizabeth Sparrow, 307
          > Queen Anne's Road,
          > Greenville, NC 27858. Add $10 per set if books need
          > to be shipped,
          > and be sure to include a mailing address.
          >
          > Please spread the word to friends, neighbors, and
          > relatives who may
          > be interested.
          >
          > Liz Sparrow

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • liz_sparrow
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
            Hi, Carol. Glad to hear from you again. Yes, we do have copies of
            Chronicles I and II, as well as the Pitt County Architecture book--
            all of which are briefly described on the Publications page at our
            web site (www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com). I'm getting ready to
            update the site and add the cemetery survey. You are right that all
            of these books make great Christmas and birthday presents for family
            members, especially those interested in genealogy.

            Yes, I am very interested in learning more about the Davis woman you
            mentioned and her book concerning the Tidewater families of Virginia.

            Till later......Liz

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh
            <csinghworthington@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > surveys of approximately 820 cemetery sites
            > > throughout Pitt County.
            > > The two books are sold together as a set for the low
            > > price of $50
            > > (tax included).
            > >
            > > Books will be available for pickup and purchase at
            > > Historic Red Banks
            > > Primitive Baptist Church, corner of 14th Street and
            > > Firetower Road,
            > > on Saturday, October 13, 2007, between the hours of
            > > 10 a.m. and 2
            > > p.m.
            > >
            > > Reserve your copy today for local pickup by mailing
            > > a check, made
            > > payable to PCHS, for $50 to Elizabeth Sparrow, 307
            > > Queen Anne's Road,
            > > Greenville, NC 27858. Add $10 per set if books need
            > > to be shipped,
            > > and be sure to include a mailing address.
            > >
            > > Please spread the word to friends, neighbors, and

            ______________
            mail, news, photos & more.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
              Dear Liz,
              Here goes. Virginia Lee Hutcheson Davis, widow of
              James Williams Davis Sr. of Richmond and Williamsburg
              died Saturday, August 18, 2007.
              She was the author of the Tidewater Virginia
              Families books and editor/publisher of the quarterly
              publication, Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine
              of History and Genealogy.
              A member of the Order of First Families of
              Virginia [F.F.V.], the Jamestowne Society, the James
              City Company, Order of Descendants of Ancient
              Planters, Order of First Families of North Carolina,
              Colonial Dames of the Seventeenth-Century, National
              Genealogical Society, Association for the Preservation
              of Virginia Antiquities and other historical and
              genealogical societies.
              Member of the Henricus Foundation Advisory Board
              [original settlement in Henrico County was called
              "Henricus"]; Council member of The Jamestowne Society,
              past Governor of the Virginia Genealogical Society;
              and member of the Human Genetics Advisory Board,
              Virginia , Virginia Commonwealth, Medical College of
              Virginia.
              Survivors include children, Elizabeth Lee Wadkins
              Viet, M.D. and her husband Gordon Cheesman Viet,
              Tucson, Arizona; J. Thomas Wadkins III and his wife
              Robin Perdue Wadkins, Richmond, and Richard Cleveland
              Wadkins and his wife Helen Struthers Wadkins and their
              daughters of Edinburg, Virginia.
              The above obituary was published in Tuesday's
              Richmond Times-Dispatch, August 21, 2007.
              Yesterday an article in the Times-Dispatch
              celebrates Mrs. Davis's accomplishments under the
              caption, "Genealogy contributor Virginia Davis dies"
              by Jeremy Slayton, staff writer.
              The article is absolutely second to none. I
              wish that I had written it myself!
              What is of interest to us is that in 1989 she
              self-published 300 copies of "Tidewater Virginia
              Families," 'an 850-page book of 40 families all the
              way back to early Jamestown settlers.'
              In 1990, the Genalogical Publishing Co. in
              Baltimore published a version of the book without all
              the photos included in the first volume.
              Her book earned Mrs. Davis an award for
              excellence in genealogical and family history from the
              National Genealogical Society.
              Mrs. Davis and her son J. Thomas Wadkins III of
              Richmond collaborated on the quarterly "Tidewater
              Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and
              Genealogy, 'which had thousands of subscribers across
              the country.
              Now, back to my own voice, I will have J.
              Sargeant Reynolds library staff check for me on the
              current availability of "Tidewater Virginia Families"
              and see if it can be had and at what price.
              Apparently, the quarterly has been
              discontinued, but I'll see what I can find out about
              it.
              Since Mrs. Davis lived in Chesterfield County,
              I will see if its library system has a copy of her
              self-published volume if I cannot lay hands on it by
              other means.
              By the way, this lady was a research scientist
              at Phillip-Morris in real life. What a lady, I would
              say!
              Later, Carol

              Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
                Dear Liz,
                The book is in print. The ISBN is 0806312831,
                price $75.00, Genealogical Publishing Company, 1989.
                Area libraries here also have it including the
                Virginia Historical Society here in Richmond, the
                University of Richmond Library, Richmond and Henrico
                County Public Libraries, and the State Library of
                Virginia.
                Our librarian checked only libraries nearest our
                campus. It may be available as well at libraries
                outside this vicinity.
                Best of all, the book is circulating!
                Later, Carol

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 23, 2007
> [...]

                  > > > Firetower Road,
                  > > > on Saturday, October 13, 2007, between the hours
                  > of
                  > > > 10 a.m. and 2
                  > > > p.m.
                  > > >
                  > > > Reserve your copy today for local pickup by
                  > mailing
                  > > > a check, made
                  > > > payable to PCHS, for $50 to Elizabeth Sparrow,
                  > 307
                  > > > Queen Anne's Road,
                  > > > Greenville, NC 27858. Add $10 per set if books
                  > need
                  > > > to be shipped,
                  > > > and be sure to include a mailing address.
                  > > >
                  > > > Please spread the word to friends, neighbors,
                  > and
                  > > > relatives who may
                  > > > be interested.
                  > > >
                  > > > Liz Sparrow

                  > ______________
                  > > Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the

                  Need a vacation? Get great deals
                  to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                  http://travel.yahoo.com/
                • Boyd Switzer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 24, 2007
                    Liz: I will be placing an order for the two book set by mail as
                    instructed. I hope to have a relative pick them up Oct 13, since we will
                    be out of the country on a trip.

                    --
                    Boyd R. Switzer, Ph.D.
                    Associate Professor