GOV. CASWELL Article

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2007
      Hello Group.....
      Interesting article for you in today's Kinston, NC FreePress. Click here to view photo:
      http://www.kinston.com/news/caswell_40432___article.html/great_descendents.html
      Caswell descendents gather at Harmony Hall

      By KATIE MARSHALL

      August 18, 2007 - 11:11PM Elbert Rouse found out he is the great great great great-grandson of Gov. Richard Caswell two months ago.

      "I was tickled to find out I was related to someone important," said the Moss Hill resident.

      Rouse joined more than 30 other descendents of North Carolina�s first governor Saturday at Harmony Hall, with a portrait of Caswell hanging in the background.

      Adrian King, president of the Lenoir County Historical Association, said this was the first time there was a concentrated number of Caswell�s descendents in Harmony Hall, the same house Caswell used to keep state records during the Revolutionary War.

      "It has a special feel to it and makes it a more personal moment," he said.

      Claire Hadley, of Virginia and a descendent of Caswell, said census records, phone books and networking helped her find other descendents.

      "This is very emotional," she said. "Finally Caswell�s family is together in the same room."

      Rouse was one of few local descendents, with most traveling from different states.

      Marg Kiser, of Colorado, came with her daughters who traveled from California and Utah, to celebrate the life of her great great great-grandfather.

      "It�s always interested me," she said. "And I�m learning so much more."

      Her daughter, Mayanne Berrett, said she was contacted by e-mail about the weeklong celebration of Richard Caswell.

      "It�s nice to put faces with the names," she said.

      The descendents talked about their relatives and shared stories over coffee and donuts. A brief history of Harmony Hall was given and they were able to tour the house. Afterwards, a group photo was taken and everyone went out to lunch at the Broken Eagle.

      Katie Marshall can be reached at (252) 527-3191, Ext. 251, or kmarshall@....

      Jewelle

      jewelle@...
      jewellebaker@...