Eastern Carolina Village of Yesteryear

  • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21 8:16 AM
      Folks - Reviewing this post from another computer leads me to conclude that
      the photos I pasted in with the article did not come thru the Yahoo server
      -- only their captions. So if you want to see photos you need to go
      directly to the Daily Reflector link, which I've pasted in again as follows
      (no period at the end):

      http://www.reflector.com/local/content/news/stories/2007/06/21/villageyester
      year.html

      That one should work.

      Best regards,

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Thursday, June 21, 2007

      Peeling white paint and wasp nests greeted guests Tuesday to the
      Satterthwaite Store, a longtime Pactolus landmark and now part of the East
      Carolina Village of Yesteryear.

      But all is not antique in the historic village. Some buildings are just
      plain old — and showing it.

      Jenni Farrow/The Daily Reflector
      (ENLARGE)
      Village of Yesteryear President George Ipock explains aspects of the
      village Tuesday in front of an original church building from the 19th
      century.

      Jenni Farrow/The Daily Reflector
      (ENLARGE)
      The general store that stood in Pactolus, now as a part of the
      Village of Yester Year, displays the store as it would have been with
      original artifacts, that will have to be gently packed and moved.

      Jenni Farrow/The Daily Reflector
      (ENLARGE)
      The East Carolina Village of Yesteryear features buildings and other
      artifacts from 1840-1940 that depict life in Pitt County and eastern North
      Carolina during that period.

      The store, and a few of the other 20 historic buildings in the village,
      have fallen into disrepair; the village's board of caretakers has struggled
      for more than two years with little or no funding.

      Few visitors step foot on the village's nearly 2.5 acres tucked in back of
      the Pitt County American Legion Agricultural Fairgrounds, accessed only by
      appointment.

      Utility bills are paid with the $2 a person charged for tours and a few
      hundred dollars gained through a yearly quilt raffle. Village board members
      do the rest — pitching in to mow the lawn, spraying for pests and
      completing minor repairs.

      Now the village — composed of artifacts and buildings dating from 1840 to
      1940 that depict rural life in Eastern North Carolina — is facing a new
      challenge that may force it to move from the fairgrounds to a new location.

      Walking the lot Tuesday, George Ipock, president of the village's board of
      directors, said the historic display's lack of visibility coupled with
      potential new development projects on the land where the village sits are
      forcing its move.

      "It's going to be a major undertaking," he said, pausing to rattle off his
      to-do list. "But we are not disbanding it. We are just trying to find a
      more suitable location ... land that would give the village accessibility."

      American Legion members Connor Eagles and Lester Turnage began the village
      on the Legion property in 1978 after showing old tools at booths during the
      county fair.

      In the years that followed, the men "roamed the countryside for the
      forgotten treasures of the past," said Eagles' daughter, Joanne Honeycutt.

      Slowly things were added, such as a smokehouse, a one-room school house,
      chapel, train depot, country store, henhouse, tobacco barn, corn crib and
      blacksmith shop.

      Bob Sheck, president of the Fair Board and a village board member, said in
      1990 a 15-year lease was signed with the Fair Board and the non-profit
      board of directors was created for the village.

      Two years ago, the lease ran out, but the Fair Board has allowed continued
      use of the space, Sheck said.

      Though he noted it's the Fair Board's "desire" to free space for new
      projects, ideas for use are rough and still in the works.

      Both Ipock and Sheck agreed the move will not be easy or immediate. Ipock
      estimates it will cost tens of thousands of dollars to relocate the
      village, and even more for the land to house it.

      The village board plans to raise funds to preserve the tangible pieces of
      history after attempts to obtain grant funding failed shortly after the
      lease expired. Ipock said village board members are creating brochures to
      help collect donations and provide people with history about the structures.

      Ipock and others on the six-member village board have come to hold the
      historic place dear to heart.

      A Pitt County native, Ipock reminisced about past times as he walked the
      grounds Tuesday.

      He shared his own memories of visits to his uncle's farm in Craven County,
      trips to the country store where he'd buy 1-cent cookies the size of his
      hand and the slow establishment of electricity and phone service to Pitt
      County.

      The memories are all alive for him in the village, he said.

      "It's here for an educational purpose," he said, smiling as he surveyed his
      surroundings. "To me it's a valuable asset to Greenville, Pitt County and
      Eastern North Carolina."

      Erin Rickert can be contacted at erickert@... and 329-9566.

      Pitt County Historical Society:

      information:

      We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web