Re: Jackson Family pictures

  • lisascarola
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
      Carol,

      Let me see what I can find. I haven't been checking in on the group
      much lately. I took a job working for Hasbro and just haven't had as
      much time. I promise to get back to you with whatever I find. Nice to
      hear from you also.

      Cousin,
      Lisa

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

      ______________
      > Looking for earth-friendly autos?
      > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
        Cousin Carol,

        On 3 of her children's birth certificates she is listed as Agnes Clark.
        The Children are Addie Louise, Franklin, and John D Carraway Jr.
        I haven't found anything on Robert yet.

        Lisa
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
          Dear Lisa,
          Thanks so much. Since Cousin Lester's and Louise's
          granddaughter said that some of the Carraway men were
          Cousin Louise's half brothers, that might explain it.
          The half-brother relationship could come from John
          Carraway's having been a widow with children when he
          married Agnes Clark.
          After all, he was already 45 years old in 1921 when
          he married Agnes. While men have postponed marriage
          until later than is commonly expected, that is usually
          accounted for by family obligations like caring for a
          widowed mom or younger siblings, running a family
          business, or getting their own career off to a good
          start before starting a family of their own, or even
          having made a career in the military and not wanting
          to expose a family to the many moves and separations
          it often entails.
          So perhaps someone can find out if John Carraway
          was, like Agnes Clark, married before. I myself
          haven't yet checked this out, and the granddaughter
          did not say who were the parents of the half-brothers
          only that she herself did not know from which side the
          "half" came.
          She was raised by Cousin Lester and Cousin Louise
          instead of by her parents just as Cousin Louise was
          raised by Carraway kin. Here again, I don't know
          whether the ones with whom she actually lived were her
          inlaws or her half-brothers family. Since it was
          Carraway kin who raised her, though, and their
          surnames were also Carrawy, it would have to have been
          the paternal line or step-paternal with whom she
          lived.
          Another "in" would be to check the census records
          for 1930 to see where Addie Louise Carraway is living,
          in which Carraway household.
          However, I don't have immediate access to the 1930
          census. Because of budget constraints, our Library of
          Virginia which has all previous Pitt County Census
          Records did not order the 1930 census.
          Perhaps someone could check that census for me for
          Nicholas Carraway, another Carraway relative whom the
          granddaughter has mentioned, and Robert Carraway.
          Thanks again for your going to bat for me.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
            Dear Lisa,
            By the way, I had forgotten that my great aunt was
            also a Jackson, Addie Jackson of Winterville. She
            married my grandfather's son John Worthington.
            Uncle John died many years before I was born, so I
            never knew him except through Mama. She was especially
            close to this uncle.
            Aunt Addie, on the other hand, was my inspiration.
            She had her rocking chair by the stove in Cousin
            Clarence's store, and by and by, Cousin Clarence put a
            chair there for me too.
            I sat there by the hour listening to and talking to
            Aunt Addie.
            Mama became like a daughter to her after Uncle John
            died. Both Mama and Uncle Mark said that Aunt Addie
            was absolutely distraught over his death.
            Aunt Addie was one of our family who had brown
            eyes. They just danced and sparkled as she talked. She
            never missed a beat on anything and had a wealth of
            information and good stories to tell.
            One of our other Jacksons is Roy David Jackson, Sr.
            He married my cousin, daughter of Eva and Buster
            Wilson who was superintendent of the Pitt County Home
            for many years.
            Wilsons married into the family some generations
            ago. However, I don't know the parents of either of
            them.
            Joyce Lee Jackson, the daughter of Roy David, was
            my classmate at Winterville School. She is married to
            my cousin Kent Worthington, the son of my cousins Glen
            and Gladys Worthington of the Worthington Crossroads
            area on County Home Road.
            Then, my one of my McGowan aunts who lived near
            Bells Fork married a Jackson, Shadrack I believe his
            name was. I'll look it up in a few and get back to
            you.

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
              Dear Lisa,
              Another possibility is that there may have been also
              some step siblings as well.

              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
            • Judy N. Lewis
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                Carol,

                Here in Pitt County, we have at home access to all census records on Heritage Quest through Sheppard Memorial Library.  Perhaps one of your local libraries also subscribes to this service.  This would give you census records from from the entire country.  The 1930 Census on Heritage Quest is a browse only listing and is not indexed as are all the others.

                Judy

                Thanks so much. Since Cousin Lester's and Louise's
                granddaughter said that some of the Carraway men were
                Cousin Louise's half brothers, that might explain it.
                The half-brother relationship could come from John
                Carraway's having been a widow with children when he
                married Agnes Clark.
                After all, he was already 45 years old in 1921 when
                he married Agnes. While men have postponed marriage
                until later than is commonly expected, that is usually
                accounted for by family obligations like caring for a
                widowed mom or younger siblings, running a family
                business, or getting their own career off to a good
                start before starting a family of their own, or even
                having made a career in the military and not wanting
                to expose a family to the many moves and separations
                it often entails.
                So perhaps someone can find out if John Carraway
                was, like Agnes Clark, married before. I myself
                haven't yet checked this out, and the granddaughter
                did not say who were the parents of the half-brothers
                only that she herself did not know from which side the
                "half" came.
                She was raised by Cousin Lester and Cousin Louise
                instead of by her parents just as Cousin Louise was
                raised by Carraway kin. Here again, I don't know
                whether the ones with whom she actually lived were her
                inlaws or her half-brothers family. Since it was
                Carraway kin who raised her, though, and their
                surnames were also Carrawy, it would have to have been
                the paternal line or step-paternal with whom she
                lived.
                Another "in" would be to check the census records
                for 1930 to see where Addie Louise Carraway is living,
                in which Carraway household.
                However, I don't have immediate access to the 1930
                census. Because of budget constraints, our Library of
                Virginia which has all previous Pitt County Census
                Records did not order the 1930 census.
                Perhaps someone could check that census for me for
                Nicholas Carraway, another Carraway relative whom the
                granddaughter has mentioned, and Robert Carraway.
                Thanks again for your going to bat for me.
                Later, Carol

                --- lisascarola < feonadorf@... > wrote:

                > Cousin Carol,
                >
                > On 3 of her children's birth certificates she is
                > listed as Agnes Clark.
                > The Children are Addie Louise, Franklin, and John D
                > Carraway Jr.
                > I haven't found anything on Robert yet.
                >
                > Lisa

              • Marcia McLawhorn
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                  Hi,
                  The link below has a list of nine Petitions. Many of them are signed by Carraway's, but lots of other names appear also. Could give you an idea where your relative resided.

                  http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/craven/court/roads01.txt
                  From the Elizabeth Moore Papers, Collection No. 322, East Carolina Manuscript
                  Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville NC.

                  Craven County, NC - Petitions to Build Roads

                  PETITION OF THE INHABITANTS OF SMITH’S CREEK AND TRENT (CREEK) FOR A
                  ROAD THROUGH THE PECOSIN FROM THE HEAD OF SMITH’S CREEK OF NEUSE RIVER, to the head of Trent or BARE (Bay) RIVER, which will be a very convenient useful way. Signed: Thomas Carraway, William Carraway, ..., Nathaniel Carraway, ...
                  John Carraway Sen(ior), John Carraway Junior, ...

                  Not dated.

                  Carol, Do you think there are your Addie Louise's father and brother? Marcia

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                    Dear Judy,
                    That would be great! Just offhand I would imagine
                    that the State Library downtown subscribes because
                    from the first time I set foot in it as girl holding
                    tightly to Mama as the place reminded me of a
                    mauseleum. Then it was filled with people Mama said
                    were looking for their ancestors, and all the people I
                    saw from my childish perspective looked as old as
                    Methusala, so I thought there were also ancestors
                    sitting there waiting for their descendants!
                    Of course, I didn't know any better. I was simply
                    scared nearly out of my wits.
                    This library, though, has always been especially
                    dedicated to family research and has had visitors from
                    all over coming to use its resources.
                    Thanks for telling me about this resource. I could
                    never have asked one of our librarians because I did
                    not know that such a resource even existed.
                    Good to hear from you, Carol

                    --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                    > Carol,
                    >
                    > Here in Pitt County, we have at home access to all
                    > census records on Heritage Quest through Sheppard
                    > Memorial Library.  Perhaps one of your local
                    > libraries also subscribes to this service.  This
                    > would give you census records from from the entire
                    > country.  The 1930 Census on Heritage Quest is a
                    > browse only listing and is not indexed as are all
                    > the others.
                    >
                    > Judy

                    Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                    http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                      Dear Lisa,
                      Drop that, I've got the wrong Addie here. Addie of
                      Winterville was a Williams! OOPS! I bet I here plenty
                      on this slip of the eye.
                      Oh well, we are all human aren't we?

                      === message truncated ===

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                        Dear Marcia,
                        Thanks! Some of the land records from the late
                        1700's and early 1800's that I found at the State
                        Library here in downtown Richmond showed Braxton and
                        Worthington landowners in the area of the Neuse River
                        at the same time the Carraways were there. It's a
                        small world.
                        Some day I would like very much to visit these
                        counties and these sites. It would be like going back
                        in time in a very real sense of the word.
                        Later, Carol
                        --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > The link below has a list of nine Petitions. Many
                        > of them are signed by Carraway's, but lots of other
                        > names appear also. Could give you an idea where your
                        > relative resided.

                        http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/craven/court/roads01.txt
                        > From the Elizabeth Moore Papers, Collection No.
                        > 322, East Carolina Manuscript
                        > Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina
                        > University, Greenville NC.
                        >
                        > Craven County, NC - Petitions to Build Roads
                        >
                        > PETITION OF THE INHABITANTS OF SMITH’S CREEK AND
                        > TRENT (CREEK) FOR A
                        > ROAD THROUGH THE PECOSIN FROM THE HEAD OF SMITH’S
                        > CREEK OF NEUSE RIVER, to the head of Trent or BARE
                        > (Bay) RIVER, which will be a very convenient useful
                        > way. Signed: Thomas Carraway, William Carraway,
                        > ..., Nathaniel Carraway, ...
                        > John Carraway Sen(ior), John Carraway Junior, ...
                        >
                        > Not dated.
                        >

                        > Carol, Do you think there are your Addie Louise's
                        > father and brother? Marcia

                        in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                      • nsutti
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                          Hi,

                          My grandmother was Doris but I'm not sure of her middle name, I think
                          it was Anne. Here brother and sisters included
                          Waldo,Klipstein,Marjorie, Olive, Heber, and Liliana. Doris is the
                          daughter of Oliver Heber Jackson, who was the son of William J.
                          Jackson m to Susan Ellis, son of Allen Jackson m to Suzanna
                          Harrington, son of Shadrack Jackson m Easter (no other info avail
                          about her).

                          Nicole
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                            Dear Nicole,
                            I think that I can help you out with tracing her.
                            Both Harringtons and McGowans from my line, in
                            addition to Worthingtons, married Jacksons.
                            Since I will be tied up at work through Sunday, I
                            will get back with you on Monday with everything I
                            have.
                            Later, Carol
                            --- nsutti <nsutti@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > My grandmother was Doris but I'm not sure of her
                            > middle name, I think
                            > it was Anne. Here brother and sisters included
                            > Waldo,Klipstein,Marjorie, Olive, Heber, and Liliana.
                            > Doris is the
                            > daughter of Oliver Heber Jackson, who was the son of
                            > William J.
                            > Jackson m to Susan Ellis, son of Allen Jackson m to
                            > Suzanna
                            > Harrington, son of Shadrack Jackson m Easter (no
                            > other info avail
                            > about her).
                            >

                            > Nicole

                            Don't pick lemons.
                            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                            http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                          • rootspuzzle
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 22, 2007
                              Carol,

                              North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                              Caraway 22 Feb 1921 Pitt John D Caraway Agnes Clark
                              Name: Caraway Date of Birth: 22 Feb 1921 Race: White Birth County:
                              Pitt Parent1 Name: John D Caraway Parent2 Name: Agnes Clark Roll
                              Number: B_C079_66001 Volume: 8 Page: 1511

                              Caraway 17 Apr 1923 Pitt John D Caraway Agnes Clark
                              Name: Caraway Date of Birth: 17 Apr 1923 Race: White Birth County:
                              Pitt Parent1 Name: John D Caraway Parent2 Name: Agnes Clark Roll
                              Number: B_C079_66001 Volume: 10 Page: 1151

                              John D Carroway Jr. 9 Oct 1924 Pitt John D Carroway Agnes Clark
                              Name: John D Carroway Jr. Date of Birth: 9 Oct 1924 Race: White Birth
                              County: Pitt Parent1 Name: John D Carroway Parent2 Name: Agnes Clark
                              Roll Number: B_C079_66001 Volume: 11 Page: 559

                              1930 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Belvoir >
                              District 7
                              217-222
                              John D Caraway 56 md 26 Agnes Caraway 30 md 20 Joseph Caraway 24
                              Johny Caraway 16 Woodrow Caraway 12 Louise Caraway 9 Frank Caraway 3
                              4/12 ? Caraway 1 9/12 son

                              1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Chicod >
                              District 43
                              Name: John Caraway Home in 1920: Chicod, Pitt, North Carolina Age: 47
                              years Estimated birth year: abt 1873 Birthplace: North Carolina
                              Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: North Carolina
                              Mother's Birth Place: North Carolina Marital Status: Widow Race:
                              White Sex: Male Home owned: Rent Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes
                              Image: 520
                              161-164
                              John Caraway 47 wd: Joseph Caraway 14 Charlie Caraway 12 Johnnie
                              Caraway 6 William W Caraway 2 1/12

                              1910 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Martin > Cross
                              Roads > District 60
                              150-157
                              John D Caraway 33 md1:10 Lusy Caraway 30 md1:10 ch:4-liv:4 Arch L
                              Caraway 9 Lethel b Caraway 7 Josephs Caraway 5 Charles Caraway 1 2/12

                              Sue

                              ______________

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 26, 2007
                                Dear Sue,
                                I have been reading over this information and
                                integrating it with what I know and with what I
                                guessed at.
                                The guessed part was that John Carraway, given his
                                being an older man, had been married before. Chances
                                were that he also had children by the prior marriage
                                and that he was either divorced or widowed. I favored
                                the widowed, divorce not being very common.
                                So I was right with my guesses. The half siblings
                                came from his prior marriage.
                                I had thought that Agnes herself could have had a
                                brief prior marriage with children, but given her age,
                                that would have been less likely than that John had
                                had children from a prior marriage.
                                Of course, the third possibility was that John and
                                Agnes had children together, that John had died, and
                                that Agnes had married another Carraway man whom the
                                records did not show. This would have been the most
                                unlikely of the possibilities I would have selected.
                                I knew that Agnes had also married a Clark. Some
                                records showed him as the first husband. I did not
                                think this likely. Therefore, I began searching to
                                find out the truth.
                                Finally, I did not know who were siblings and who
                                were half siblings.
                                Thank you so much for taking the time to track this
                                family for me.
                                Later, Carol