Jackson Family pictures

  • Nicole Sutti
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 16, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm wondering if anyone has some pictures of any of the Jackson's from the Pitt county line. I have one of Oliver Heber Jackson and my grandmother Doris. I would be happy to share these. I wanted to add pictures to my family tree on ancestry.com. It looks really good with pictures added because their picture shows up on the tree as a thumbnail.

      Thanks,
      Nicole

    • lisascarola
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
        Nicole,

        Was your grandmother Doris Virginia Jackson?

        Lisa

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
          Dear Lisa,
          I was just thinking of you. I want to run something
          by you.
          In looking up information on your site about my
          Cousin Louise Carraway Braxton, I found that her
          mother Agnes Sutton on Cousin Louise's birth
          certificate gave her name as Agnes Clark--in the blank
          where it asks for the mother's name before marriage.
          I understood that John Carraway was the first
          husband of Agnes Sutton and John Clark the second
          husband. John Carraway was 45 in 1921 and Agnes only
          21 according to the birth certificate of Addie Louise
          Carraway, their first child.
          Yet with Agnes listing her name before marriage as
          Clark, it would appear that John Clark was her first
          husband.
          Cousin Lester and Cousin Louise's granddaughter
          sent me her birth certificate several years ago.
          This granddaughter also told me that the
          Carraways, and not Cousin Louise's parents, raised
          her.
          Finally, the granddaughter told me that some of
          the Carraway men from Winterville were Cousin Louise's
          brothers and some her half-brothers.
          I can't find either man in the Pitt County Death
          Records nor can I find Agnes Sutton there.
          I haven't checked census records because I do not
          have anything online later than the 1850 census on the
          PCFR online resources.
          Do help me if you can spare a few minutes.
          I do not have marriage records on either of the
          three, so I have nothing to help me with the
          relationships among these people.
          I do plan a research trip to North Carolina before
          summer's end, but am throwing out an S.O.S. in the
          meantime just in case there is someone among our group
          who can solve the mystery.
          It's awfully good hearing from you again.
          Later, Carol
          --- lisascarola <feonadorf@...> wrote:

          > Nicole,
          >
          > Was your grandmother Doris Virginia Jackson?
          >
          > Lisa
          >

          > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Sutti
          > <nsutti@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm wondering if anyone has some pictures of any
          > of the Jackson's
          > from the Pitt county line. I have one of Oliver
          > Heber Jackson and my
          > grandmother Doris. I would be happy to share these.
          > I wanted to add
          > pictures to my family tree on ancestry.com. It
          > looks really good
          > with pictures added because their picture shows up
          > on the tree as a
          > thumbnail.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Nicole

          Looking for earth-friendly autos?
          http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
            Dear Nicole,
            Who were the parents of your grandmother? I have
            Pitt County Jackson kin and was wondering to which
            branch your family belongs.
            Thanks for sharing, Carol
            --- lisascarola <feonadorf@...> wrote:

            > Nicole,
            >
            > Was your grandmother Doris Virginia Jackson?
            >
            > Lisa
            >

            > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Nicole Sutti
            > <nsutti@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I'm wondering if anyone has some pictures of any
            > of the Jackson's
            > from the Pitt county line. I have one of Oliver
            > Heber Jackson and my
            > grandmother Doris. I would be happy to share these.
            > I wanted to add
            > pictures to my family tree on ancestry.com. It
            > looks really good
            > with pictures added because their picture shows up
            > on the tree as a
            > thumbnail.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Nicole

          • lisascarola
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
              Carol,

              Let me see what I can find. I haven't been checking in on the group
              much lately. I took a job working for Hasbro and just haven't had as
              much time. I promise to get back to you with whatever I find. Nice to
              hear from you also.

              Cousin,
              Lisa

              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

              ______________

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 20, 2007
                Cousin Carol,

                On 3 of her children's birth certificates she is listed as Agnes Clark.
                The Children are Addie Louise, Franklin, and John D Carraway Jr.
                I haven't found anything on Robert yet.

                Lisa
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                  Dear Lisa,
                  Thanks so much. Since Cousin Lester's and Louise's
                  granddaughter said that some of the Carraway men were
                  Cousin Louise's half brothers, that might explain it.
                  The half-brother relationship could come from John
                  Carraway's having been a widow with children when he
                  married Agnes Clark.
                  After all, he was already 45 years old in 1921 when
                  he married Agnes. While men have postponed marriage
                  until later than is commonly expected, that is usually
                  accounted for by family obligations like caring for a
                  widowed mom or younger siblings, running a family
                  business, or getting their own career off to a good
                  start before starting a family of their own, or even
                  having made a career in the military and not wanting
                  to expose a family to the many moves and separations
                  it often entails.
                  So perhaps someone can find out if John Carraway
                  was, like Agnes Clark, married before. I myself
                  haven't yet checked this out, and the granddaughter
                  did not say who were the parents of the half-brothers
                  only that she herself did not know from which side the
                  "half" came.
                  She was raised by Cousin Lester and Cousin Louise
                  instead of by her parents just as Cousin Louise was
                  raised by Carraway kin. Here again, I don't know
                  whether the ones with whom she actually lived were her
                  inlaws or her half-brothers family. Since it was
                  Carraway kin who raised her, though, and their
                  surnames were also Carrawy, it would have to have been
                  the paternal line or step-paternal with whom she
                  lived.
                  Another "in" would be to check the census records
                  for 1930 to see where Addie Louise Carraway is living,
                  in which Carraway household.
                  However, I don't have immediate access to the 1930
                  census. Because of budget constraints, our Library of
                  Virginia which has all previous Pitt County Census
                  Records did not order the 1930 census.
                  Perhaps someone could check that census for me for
                  Nicholas Carraway, another Carraway relative whom the
                  granddaughter has mentioned, and Robert Carraway.
                  Thanks again for your going to bat for me.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                    Dear Lisa,
                    By the way, I had forgotten that my great aunt was
                    also a Jackson, Addie Jackson of Winterville. She
                    married my grandfather's son John Worthington.
                    Uncle John died many years before I was born, so I
                    never knew him except through Mama. She was especially
                    close to this uncle.
                    Aunt Addie, on the other hand, was my inspiration.
                    She had her rocking chair by the stove in Cousin
                    Clarence's store, and by and by, Cousin Clarence put a
                    chair there for me too.
                    I sat there by the hour listening to and talking to
                    Aunt Addie.
                    Mama became like a daughter to her after Uncle John
                    died. Both Mama and Uncle Mark said that Aunt Addie
                    was absolutely distraught over his death.
                    Aunt Addie was one of our family who had brown
                    eyes. They just danced and sparkled as she talked. She
                    never missed a beat on anything and had a wealth of
                    information and good stories to tell.
                    One of our other Jacksons is Roy David Jackson, Sr.
                    He married my cousin, daughter of Eva and Buster
                    Wilson who was superintendent of the Pitt County Home
                    for many years.
                    Wilsons married into the family some generations
                    ago. However, I don't know the parents of either of
                    them.
                    Joyce Lee Jackson, the daughter of Roy David, was
                    my classmate at Winterville School. She is married to
                    my cousin Kent Worthington, the son of my cousins Glen
                    and Gladys Worthington of the Worthington Crossroads
                    area on County Home Road.
                    Then, my one of my McGowan aunts who lived near
                    Bells Fork married a Jackson, Shadrack I believe his
                    name was. I'll look it up in a few and get back to
                    you.

                    Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                      Dear Lisa,
                      Another possibility is that there may have been also
                      some step siblings as well.

                      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                    • Judy N. Lewis
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                        Carol,

                        Here in Pitt County, we have at home access to all census records on Heritage Quest through Sheppard Memorial Library.  Perhaps one of your local libraries also subscribes to this service.  This would give you census records from from the entire country.  The 1930 Census on Heritage Quest is a browse only listing and is not indexed as are all the others.

                        Judy

                        Thanks so much. Since Cousin Lester's and Louise's
                        granddaughter said that some of the Carraway men were
                        Cousin Louise's half brothers, that might explain it.
                        The half-brother relationship could come from John
                        Carraway's having been a widow with children when he
                        married Agnes Clark.
                        After all, he was already 45 years old in 1921 when
                        he married Agnes. While men have postponed marriage
                        until later than is commonly expected, that is usually
                        accounted for by family obligations like caring for a
                        widowed mom or younger siblings, running a family
                        business, or getting their own career off to a good
                        start before starting a family of their own, or even
                        having made a career in the military and not wanting
                        to expose a family to the many moves and separations
                        it often entails.
                        So perhaps someone can find out if John Carraway
                        was, like Agnes Clark, married before. I myself
                        haven't yet checked this out, and the granddaughter
                        did not say who were the parents of the half-brothers
                        only that she herself did not know from which side the
                        "half" came.
                        She was raised by Cousin Lester and Cousin Louise
                        instead of by her parents just as Cousin Louise was
                        raised by Carraway kin. Here again, I don't know
                        whether the ones with whom she actually lived were her
                        inlaws or her half-brothers family. Since it was
                        Carraway kin who raised her, though, and their
                        surnames were also Carrawy, it would have to have been
                        the paternal line or step-paternal with whom she
                        lived.
                        Another "in" would be to check the census records
                        for 1930 to see where Addie Louise Carraway is living,
                        in which Carraway household.
                        However, I don't have immediate access to the 1930
                        census. Because of budget constraints, our Library of
                        Virginia which has all previous Pitt County Census
                        Records did not order the 1930 census.
                        Perhaps someone could check that census for me for
                        Nicholas Carraway, another Carraway relative whom the
                        granddaughter has mentioned, and Robert Carraway.
                        Thanks again for your going to bat for me.
                        Later, Carol

                        --- lisascarola < feonadorf@... > wrote:

                        > Cousin Carol,
                        >
                        > On 3 of her children's birth certificates she is
                        > listed as Agnes Clark.
                        > The Children are Addie Louise, Franklin, and John D
                        > Carraway Jr.
                        > I haven't found anything on Robert yet.
                        >
                        > Lisa

                      • Marcia McLawhorn
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                          Hi,
                          The link below has a list of nine Petitions. Many of them are signed by Carraway's, but lots of other names appear also. Could give you an idea where your relative resided.

                          http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/craven/court/roads01.txt
                          From the Elizabeth Moore Papers, Collection No. 322, East Carolina Manuscript
                          Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville NC.

                          Craven County, NC - Petitions to Build Roads

                          PETITION OF THE INHABITANTS OF SMITH’S CREEK AND TRENT (CREEK) FOR A
                          ROAD THROUGH THE PECOSIN FROM THE HEAD OF SMITH’S CREEK OF NEUSE RIVER, to the head of Trent or BARE (Bay) RIVER, which will be a very convenient useful way. Signed: Thomas Carraway, William Carraway, ..., Nathaniel Carraway, ...
                          John Carraway Sen(ior), John Carraway Junior, ...

                          Not dated.

                          Carol, Do you think there are your Addie Louise's father and brother? Marcia

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                            Dear Judy,
                            That would be great! Just offhand I would imagine
                            that the State Library downtown subscribes because
                            from the first time I set foot in it as girl holding
                            tightly to Mama as the place reminded me of a
                            mauseleum. Then it was filled with people Mama said
                            were looking for their ancestors, and all the people I
                            saw from my childish perspective looked as old as
                            Methusala, so I thought there were also ancestors
                            sitting there waiting for their descendants!
                            Of course, I didn't know any better. I was simply
                            scared nearly out of my wits.
                            This library, though, has always been especially
                            dedicated to family research and has had visitors from
                            all over coming to use its resources.
                            Thanks for telling me about this resource. I could
                            never have asked one of our librarians because I did
                            not know that such a resource even existed.
                            Good to hear from you, Carol

                            --- "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                            > Carol,
                            >
                            > Here in Pitt County, we have at home access to all
                            > census records on Heritage Quest through Sheppard
                            > Memorial Library.  Perhaps one of your local
                            > libraries also subscribes to this service.  This
                            > would give you census records from from the entire
                            > country.  The 1930 Census on Heritage Quest is a
                            > browse only listing and is not indexed as are all
                            > the others.
                            >
                            > Judy

                            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                              Dear Lisa,
                              Drop that, I've got the wrong Addie here. Addie of
                              Winterville was a Williams! OOPS! I bet I here plenty
                              on this slip of the eye.
                              Oh well, we are all human aren't we?

                              === message truncated ===

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                                Dear Marcia,
                                Thanks! Some of the land records from the late
                                1700's and early 1800's that I found at the State
                                Library here in downtown Richmond showed Braxton and
                                Worthington landowners in the area of the Neuse River
                                at the same time the Carraways were there. It's a
                                small world.
                                Some day I would like very much to visit these
                                counties and these sites. It would be like going back
                                in time in a very real sense of the word.
                                Later, Carol
                                --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                > The link below has a list of nine Petitions. Many
                                > of them are signed by Carraway's, but lots of other
                                > names appear also. Could give you an idea where your
                                > relative resided.

                                http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/craven/court/roads01.txt
                                > From the Elizabeth Moore Papers, Collection No.
                                > 322, East Carolina Manuscript
                                > Collection, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina
                                > University, Greenville NC.
                                >
                                > Craven County, NC - Petitions to Build Roads
                                >
                                > PETITION OF THE INHABITANTS OF SMITH’S CREEK AND
                                > TRENT (CREEK) FOR A
                                > ROAD THROUGH THE PECOSIN FROM THE HEAD OF SMITH’S
                                > CREEK OF NEUSE RIVER, to the head of Trent or BARE
                                > (Bay) RIVER, which will be a very convenient useful
                                > way. Signed: Thomas Carraway, William Carraway,
                                > ..., Nathaniel Carraway, ...
                                > John Carraway Sen(ior), John Carraway Junior, ...
                                >
                                > Not dated.
                                >

                                > Carol, Do you think there are your Addie Louise's
                                > father and brother? Marcia

                                in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                              • nsutti
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                                  Hi,

                                  My grandmother was Doris but I'm not sure of her middle name, I think
                                  it was Anne. Here brother and sisters included
                                  Waldo,Klipstein,Marjorie, Olive, Heber, and Liliana. Doris is the
                                  daughter of Oliver Heber Jackson, who was the son of William J.
                                  Jackson m to Susan Ellis, son of Allen Jackson m to Suzanna
                                  Harrington, son of Shadrack Jackson m Easter (no other info avail
                                  about her).

                                  Nicole
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 21, 2007
                                    Dear Nicole,
                                    I think that I can help you out with tracing her.
                                    Both Harringtons and McGowans from my line, in
                                    addition to Worthingtons, married Jacksons.
                                    Since I will be tied up at work through Sunday, I
                                    will get back with you on Monday with everything I
                                    have.
                                    Later, Carol
                                    --- nsutti <nsutti@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > My grandmother was Doris but I'm not sure of her
                                    > middle name, I think
                                    > it was Anne. Here brother and sisters included
                                    > Waldo,Klipstein,Marjorie, Olive, Heber, and Liliana.
                                    > Doris is the
                                    > daughter of Oliver Heber Jackson, who was the son of
                                    > William J.
                                    > Jackson m to Susan Ellis, son of Allen Jackson m to
                                    > Suzanna
                                    > Harrington, son of Shadrack Jackson m Easter (no
                                    > other info avail
                                    > about her).
                                    >

                                    > Nicole

                                    Don't pick lemons.
                                    See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                                    http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                                  • rootspuzzle
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 22, 2007
                                      Carol,

                                      North Carolina Birth Index, 1800-2000
                                      Caraway 22 Feb 1921 Pitt John D Caraway Agnes Clark
                                      Name: Caraway Date of Birth: 22 Feb 1921 Race: White Birth County:
                                      Pitt Parent1 Name: John D Caraway Parent2 Name: Agnes Clark Roll
                                      Number: B_C079_66001 Volume: 8 Page: 1511

                                      Caraway 17 Apr 1923 Pitt John D Caraway Agnes Clark
                                      Name: Caraway Date of Birth: 17 Apr 1923 Race: White Birth County:
                                      Pitt Parent1 Name: John D Caraway Parent2 Name: Agnes Clark Roll
                                      Number: B_C079_66001 Volume: 10 Page: 1151

                                      John D Carroway Jr. 9 Oct 1924 Pitt John D Carroway Agnes Clark
                                      Name: John D Carroway Jr. Date of Birth: 9 Oct 1924 Race: White Birth
                                      County: Pitt Parent1 Name: John D Carroway Parent2 Name: Agnes Clark
                                      Roll Number: B_C079_66001 Volume: 11 Page: 559

                                      1930 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Belvoir >
                                      District 7
                                      217-222
                                      John D Caraway 56 md 26 Agnes Caraway 30 md 20 Joseph Caraway 24
                                      Johny Caraway 16 Woodrow Caraway 12 Louise Caraway 9 Frank Caraway 3
                                      4/12 ? Caraway 1 9/12 son

                                      1920 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Chicod >
                                      District 43
                                      Name: John Caraway Home in 1920: Chicod, Pitt, North Carolina Age: 47
                                      years Estimated birth year: abt 1873 Birthplace: North Carolina
                                      Relation to Head of House: Head Father's Birth Place: North Carolina
                                      Mother's Birth Place: North Carolina Marital Status: Widow Race:
                                      White Sex: Male Home owned: Rent Able to read: Yes Able to Write: Yes
                                      Image: 520
                                      161-164
                                      John Caraway 47 wd: Joseph Caraway 14 Charlie Caraway 12 Johnnie
                                      Caraway 6 William W Caraway 2 1/12

                                      1910 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Martin > Cross
                                      Roads > District 60
                                      150-157
                                      John D Caraway 33 md1:10 Lusy Caraway 30 md1:10 ch:4-liv:4 Arch L
                                      Caraway 9 Lethel b Caraway 7 Josephs Caraway 5 Charles Caraway 1 2/12

                                      Sue

                                      ______________

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 26, 2007
                                        Dear Sue,
                                        I have been reading over this information and
                                        integrating it with what I know and with what I
                                        guessed at.
                                        The guessed part was that John Carraway, given his
                                        being an older man, had been married before. Chances
                                        were that he also had children by the prior marriage
                                        and that he was either divorced or widowed. I favored
                                        the widowed, divorce not being very common.
                                        So I was right with my guesses. The half siblings
                                        came from his prior marriage.
                                        I had thought that Agnes herself could have had a
                                        brief prior marriage with children, but given her age,
                                        that would have been less likely than that John had
                                        had children from a prior marriage.
                                        Of course, the third possibility was that John and
                                        Agnes had children together, that John had died, and
                                        that Agnes had married another Carraway man whom the
                                        records did not show. This would have been the most
                                        unlikely of the possibilities I would have selected.
                                        I knew that Agnes had also married a Clark. Some
                                        records showed him as the first husband. I did not
                                        think this likely. Therefore, I began searching to
                                        find out the truth.
                                        Finally, I did not know who were siblings and who
                                        were half siblings.
                                        Thank you so much for taking the time to track this
                                        family for me.
                                        Later, Carol