where would I look to find

  • Evelyn Hendricks
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2007
      My high school reunion of the classes of 1947 and 1948 was last Saturday. A
      friend who lives in Columbia, SC asked how and where she would go to find
      information on her father. He died in 1945 in Jacksonville, NC, but he was
      not born there. I am copying some of the information she gave in the hope
      that someone will be able to tell me where to look. I have tried a Google
      search and a social security search without any success. Since I am not
      familiar with research in states other NC and Ga. I thought maybe someone
      could give some suggestions on where to look. What I do will have to be on
      the Internet or at the local library. I am sending a copy of the information
      she gave me, which is all she has. Any ideas from anyone would be a great
      help. She said she once asked her father who his parents were and all he
      said was that she did not need to know that. She was born about 1929 or
      1930.

      Her father's name was James Glasgow Wallace, born Jan. 15, 1900 and died
      Jan. 21, 1945. Mother's name was Violet McDonnall. She did not give a
      marriage date or place for them.

      I am at a complete loss as to what to do next to help her. This is just
      something I am just trying to help her with-not for a fee.

      Quote below:

      Yes I have a copy of his death certificate. I do not want you to have to go
      to the trouble of going to the Court House, please! He died in Jacksonville
      in 1945. All documents I've found only list "Florida" as birth place.

      His SSN was 440-03-0342. Mam and Dad were living in Tulsa, Ok when I was
      born.

      I sent a query to the Office of Vital Statistics and they found no listing.
      I think there might have been a home birth and midwife involved. Sounds
      about right for the circumstances of the period.

      I do not know where he was born, hence the difficulty. A brother lived in
      Marion County, FL during the 40's, and I was going to go to the Church of
      Latter Day Saints here in Columbia sometime in the near future and send for
      a micofish of the 1910 census there.

      I do have his "Notice of classification" for the draft, it is dated 5-27-43.
      The number is 10-237. I wouldn't have any idea how to use or request
      Federal info.

      I also have the "registration Certificate" with the address of 529 N. Smith
      St. Vinita, Ok., where we were living on 16 Feb, 1942. He was already
      living in Jacksonville at the time.

      He had a sister named Violet Mc Donnall (I am not sure of the spelling) who
      lived in Macon Ga. at the time of Dad's death.and one named Jeanne, who
      lived in the state of NY, 1 brother named Richard and one named Buddy. I
      thought that might narrow it down.

      A friend of a sister-in-law (who is a Mormon) said she found a set of
      parents named James and Violet Wallace, but the children didn't 'jibe'.

      I have a feeling he was born somewhere around Tampa, Fla., but that covers a
      large area.

      Anyway, I hope some of these facts are of value in your search. If I come
      up with anything else I'll email them to you.

      End Quote

      Evelyn

    • DAVID SMITH
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2007
        i have checked the 1910 florida and oklahoma census on
        heritage quest. i found no james wallace or j wallace
        as a head of household matching this description with
        your friends father in the household as a child.

        ____________________________________________________________________________________Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware protection.
      • Cynthia Claytonroberts
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2007
          His draft registration card, Williston, Levy Co., Florida, Local Board,
          1918 - stated he was a student, giving a James (smudgy P.? ) Wallace as
          "nearest relative". Lo and behold there is a James P. & Violet there in
          Williston in 1920, without James G. On the 1900 though, they are all
          there in Lebanon, Levy Co., Florida.

        • Tracy Stancil
          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2007
            Evelyn,

            I found 2 census records that your friend will be interested in.

            1900 Florida Census, Levy County, Lebanon Precinct, Enumeration District 79, Sheet 13B, line 89, Household # 290,
            Family # 293:

            Wallace, James 50 y.o., carpenter, born Alabama, mother and father born in SC
            Violet 37 y.o., born 1862 in Scotland, father born Ireland, mother born Scotland
            Violet E. 5 y.o. daughter, born 1895 in Florida
            Wm. R. 3 y.o. son , born 1896 in Florida
            James 5 months old, born January 1900 in Florida
            ( followed by a fairly long list of boarders who were mostly carpenters from a number of other states)

            NEXT LISTING-

            1910 Florida Census, Levy County, Inglis Township, Enumeration District 83, Sheet 15A, line 5, household # 248,
            family # 252 - data taken on May 6, 1910

            Walas, Jas D. (? P) 61 y.o. born Alabama, married x 19 yrs, farmer
            Vilet 47 y.o. born Scotland, married x 19 yrs, mother of 6, 5 living
            Vilet 15 y.o. dau born Florida
            Richard 12 y.o. son born FL
            James 10 y.o. son born FL
            Jannie (Jeannie) 7 y.o. dau born FL
            David 5 y.o. son born FL

            1930 Oklahoma Census , Tulsa- I didn't take down all info, but James Wallace shown with wife Nora (who was born Oklahoma, her parents born Austria and Hungary). James and Nora had only one daughter listed, the name looks like Anna.

            Hope this is helpful.
            Tracy

            Message 5 of 8 , May 24, 2007
              1900 FEDERAL CENSUS, Lebanon Precinct, Levy County, Florida.
              ED#79 Sheet 13B Ancestry.com Image 9 of 12
              Enumerated 26 June 1900 by. Chas. E. King, enumerator
              Dwelling #290-293
              WALLACE, James P. head M50 m9yrs b. Oct 1849
              Alabama/SouthCarolina/SouthCarolina~carpenter
              ----, Violet T. wife F37 b. Dec 1862 b. Scotland/Ireland/Scotland m9yrs 4
              children - 3 living
              ----, Violet E. daughter F5 b. Jan 1895 Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, William R.* son M3 b. July 1896 Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, James son M0-5/12s Jan 1900 b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              plus a slew of folks boarding with them, carpenters, one a "ship" carpenter
              and one an engineer (steamer)
              [* William R. is probably Richard "W". on the 1920...].

              1910 FEDERAL CENSUS, Inglis Precinct, Levy County, Florida.
              ED#83 Sheet 15A Ancestry.com Image 7 of 7
              Enumerated 6 May 1910 by Warren W. Johnson, enumerator
              "WALAS", James P. head M61 m19yrs b. Alabama/Alabama/Alabama~farmer
              ----, "Vilet" wife F47 m19yrs 6 children - 5 living b.
              Scotland/Ireland/Scotland
              ----, "Vilet" daughter F15 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, Richard son M12 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, James son M10 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, Jannie daughter F7 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, David son M15 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland.

              1920 FEDERAL CENSUS, Williston Precinct 7, Levy County, Florida.
              ED#97 page stamped 66 Sheet 13?A Ancestry.com Image 22 of 41
              Enumerated 19 & 17 Jan 1920 by DB Willis, enumerator
              Dwelling #214
              WALLACE, James P. head rents M70 b. Alabama/North Carolina/Georgia~farmer
              ----, Violet wife F57 b. Scotland/Ireland/Scotland
              ----, Richard W. son M22 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, Jenie daughter F17 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland
              ----, David son M15 single b. Florida/Alabama/Scotland.

              *am guessing it must be David that's called "Buddy"....

            • Evelyn Hendricks
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24, 2007
                Thank you so much for trying. It must be bad not knowing where your father
                was born or even the names of your grandparents. After all, you do need a
                certain amount of information to even get started.

                Evelyn

                _____

                http://new.toolbar
                <http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/norton/index.php>

                Message 7 of 8 , May 24, 2007
                  Cynthia,

                  Thank you so much for all of this useful information in this letter and the
                  one with the census records. I feel sure that armed with this information
                  she should be able to work on her own now. You spent a lot of time doing
                  this and I really appreciate your effort in her behalf. It must be bad not
                  knowing where your father was born or who were his parents. Now with this
                  information I feel sure that between the two of us we can take it and
                  perhaps find the rest of the missing information.

                  Evelyn

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 24, 2007
                    You're very welcome, Evelyn. I was not having much success on what I was
                    working on today so it was uplifting to get lucky working on your
                    friend's. I can see why it was next to impossible to find them on the
                    1910, "Walas" indeed. But seeing David Smith's note (thankyou David) after
                    finding the others & the likely county, I tried just David no surname,
                    Levy, and, Florida. There were only a page full of Davids that came up and
                    one " David Walas"... Kinda like getting that parking space, some days,
                    right in front of the store....

                    Good luck to you two.
                    Oh and PS *I* made the error in transcribing the 1910 Census - David was 5
                    years old on the actual.
                    Cynthia in Wisconsin