Re: [genpcncfir] Kittrell-Witherington-Simmons

  • Cynthia Claytonroberts
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
      Just a note from my gedcom, Bill, a *Demsey* KITTRELL married a Martha
      SPIVEY 19 Jun 1777 in Bertie County, North Carolina.....not that I have
      them connected to anyone, oh and uhmm a Sarah KITTRELL, dau of Moses & Eliz
      (GOODMAN) m. a Malachi MOORE 28 Apr 1796, also in Bertie...... I doubt
      these connect to mine.

      In desparation quite a while back, I was just searching "Demsey" even
      though the name is spelled every which way - even on my ggg-grandfather's
      estate papers - by the doctor, appraisors & funeral folks who submitted
      bills.

      I do believe it is Demsey without the 'p' though, because one of his
      findable sons was named Demsey S. (with tombstone corroboration among other
      things).

      [I'm thinking the more common spelling 'Dempsey' of which there were/are
      zabillions, was more probably the carryover of a surname.] And then of
      course there are SIMMONS, SYMONDS, SYMMONS and

      There were only two (2 !!) *Demsey* SIMMONS of record in the earlier
      days online though, the one wounded at Fort Necessity brother of William
      who was killed; and one I found charged for a horse on the 1790 Personal
      Tax List in Southampton County, Virginia, the Binns so painstakingly scan
      and put online
      at
      http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~vataxlists/Southampton/1790PersonalA/29.jpg

      There are plenty of John Simmons in Southampton Co., Va. along with a
      number of surnames I've also noticed in Bertie, Greene, Pitt, & Craven, as
      well as traveled on to southeastern Illinois where my ancestors settled in
      the first half of the 1800s.

      One family I'm especially interested in is EDWARDS; a "West Edwards" b?
      (1755-1774 in Southamption Co Va d. probably in Greene Co NC) is the link,
      father of Charles b. 1792 who married Charity and had Charlton T. Edwards
      abt 1821 in Greene who died bef Jan 1861 in Lenoir & a Demsey/Dempsey b.
      abt 1824. I'll write that question up in a future post when my head stops
      spinning.

      Meanwhile ancestry.com does have the book, "Wills and Administrations of
      Southampton County, Virginia, 1749-1800", which is searchable at:
      http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=49404&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0
      for the ancestors of many of the folks who wound up here.

      Cynthia in Wisconsin
      searching SIMMONS & MOOREs in NC

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
        Dear Jean,
        Solomon is my many times great grandfather.
        Later, Carol

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.