Dempsey Simmons and his neighbors

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
      Cynthia,
      Watching the snow fall this morning, I am thinking of your great post.

      When the wind blows, snow collected upon my 60' Blue Spruce's branches falls onto the wooden deck with such a force that it sounds like someone is throwing snowballs at the house. So, I'm glad to be inside researching this answer.

      Many of your ancestor's neighbors listed on these 1800 documents are related to my father-in-law.

      Edward Coward [~1726-] is his 5th great-grandfather.
      ...one son is ** Cullen Coward **
      ...one son is named Nathaniel [b:~1752]
      ...his daughter, Courtney [b:~1760] married ** Alexander Harper [Jr.] **

      Jonathan Frizzle Senr born about 1749 is his 7th great-grandfather.
      Enos Rogers is on the indenture documents for Stephen Coward and Sidney Coward
      Moses ROUNDTREE is (father of Arthur?) is his 9th great-granduncle
      Josiah Turnage, witness on Jeremiah McGlawhorn will Feb. 10, 1819,
      ... Jeremiah's daughter, Priscilla was married to Levin Turnage.

      = = = = =
      I hope you are not "too lost" in Wisconsin. If you come to Chicago for genealogy research, allow me to be your tour guide so you're not lost here.
      Marcia

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
        Dear Marcia,
        One of my McGowan great uncles had the middle name
        Craven. Iredel for Iredell County was the first name
        of some of our ancestors. Interesting, isn't it?
        Reading one of your e-mails from Easter where you
        mentioned the snow reminds me of an unforgettable
        Chicago Easter when overnight the weather changed from
        mild and sunny with the appearance of a strong
        thunderstorm. We were visiting my husband's parents in
        Chicago that Easter and had brought only lightweight
        outfits and no sturdy shoes or boots. When we went
        outside the next morning, we were shocked to see the
        streets covered with snow. I was a sight trying to
        navigate the snow-covered sidewalks in my high heels
        while clinging to Jack in the interests of life and
        limb, awkward as a new-born colt on ice.
        Here in Richmond, Virginia for only the second time
        on record, we got snow for Easter--a record one inch
        here in the city. I left for the hour and a half drive
        to work shortly after 5 a.m. with visibility just
        inches beyond the hood of my car.
        I told people that someone was stealing the cotton
        from Peter Rabbit's tail. I could imagine the Easter
        Bunny hitching a ride on Santa's sleigh.
        Elise had just bought some new flowering plants for
        her front yard. She left them outside, and the cold
        killed them. The storm had also brought below freezing
        temperatures lasting several days and a typical
        Richmond wind strong enough to make any visiting Windy
        City native homesick. We had gusts up to 35 miles per
        hour.
        It reached the 20's here in the city, lower out in
        the surrounding counties, and lower still in the Blue
        Ridge Mountains and Bluefield, Virginia where I once
        lived. Bluefield is known as the "air-conditioned"
        city. I am quite sure that over Easter it lived up to
        its name.
        Later, Carol

        --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>