Kittrell-Witherington-Simmons

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
      Just brief note on John Simmons who m. Nancy Witherington. On the 1850
      census were Wal, Nancy and Susan brother and sisters.

      DANIEL KITTRELL
      I believe that Daniel Kittrell had two sons by his marriage Nov 29, 1830 to
      Nancy Witherington. Their names were Joseph and William. They are listed
      in School District #8 Batchlor Creek. (You will note Jonathan Kittrell
      (Daniel's father) had property in this same area.) Nancy Witherington
      Kittrell married Dec 15, 1838 John Simmons. Daniel must have died about
      this same time. On the
      1850 Census of Craven County, NC she is shown in the household of Wal
      Witherington. He could have been her brother. Her age is given as 50 and
      Wal's is given as 49. William Kettle, age 14 is show in household. (This
      must have meant to be Kittrell...Joseph Kittrell, his brother was not shown)

      Craven 1850 Census
      Wal Witherington M 49
      Nancy Simmons F 50 (John Simmons must have died)
      Susan Wallace F 51
      William Kettle M 14 in school (Kittrell)
    • jow
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
        In the 1840 census there is a Wallace Witherington age 30-40 living on the south side of the Neuse River along with the families of Redding (30-40), Solomon (30-40), William B (40-50) and William (80-90). There are a number of other Witheringtons which I will do some more research on later this evening.

        Jean W
        jowgen@...

[...]

      • Cynthia Claytonroberts
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
          Just a note from my gedcom, Bill, a *Demsey* KITTRELL married a Martha
          SPIVEY 19 Jun 1777 in Bertie County, North Carolina.....not that I have
          them connected to anyone, oh and uhmm a Sarah KITTRELL, dau of Moses & Eliz
          (GOODMAN) m. a Malachi MOORE 28 Apr 1796, also in Bertie...... I doubt
          these connect to mine.

          In desparation quite a while back, I was just searching "Demsey" even
          though the name is spelled every which way - even on my ggg-grandfather's
          estate papers - by the doctor, appraisors & funeral folks who submitted
          bills.

          I do believe it is Demsey without the 'p' though, because one of his
          findable sons was named Demsey S. (with tombstone corroboration among other
          things).

          [I'm thinking the more common spelling 'Dempsey' of which there were/are
          zabillions, was more probably the carryover of a surname.] And then of
          course there are SIMMONS, SYMONDS, SYMMONS and

          There were only two (2 !!) *Demsey* SIMMONS of record in the earlier
          days online though, the one wounded at Fort Necessity brother of William
          who was killed; and one I found charged for a horse on the 1790 Personal
          Tax List in Southampton County, Virginia, the Binns so painstakingly scan
          and put online
          at
          http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.com/~vataxlists/Southampton/1790PersonalA/29.jpg

          There are plenty of John Simmons in Southampton Co., Va. along with a
          number of surnames I've also noticed in Bertie, Greene, Pitt, & Craven, as
          well as traveled on to southeastern Illinois where my ancestors settled in
          the first half of the 1800s.

          One family I'm especially interested in is EDWARDS; a "West Edwards" b?
          (1755-1774 in Southamption Co Va d. probably in Greene Co NC) is the link,
          father of Charles b. 1792 who married Charity and had Charlton T. Edwards
          abt 1821 in Greene who died bef Jan 1861 in Lenoir & a Demsey/Dempsey b.
          abt 1824. I'll write that question up in a future post when my head stops
          spinning.

          Meanwhile ancestry.com does have the book, "Wills and Administrations of
          Southampton County, Virginia, 1749-1800", which is searchable at:
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=49404&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0
          for the ancestors of many of the folks who wound up here.

          Cynthia in Wisconsin
          searching SIMMONS & MOOREs in NC

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2007
            Dear Jean,
            Solomon is my many times great grandfather.
            Later, Carol

            Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
            in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.