RE: [genpcncfir] Dempsey Simmons - Deed Book O

  • skipper4095386@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
      Marcia,

      CRAV is Craven County. According to the book "Capital letters after a name denotes home county or state of grantee or grantor." In this case, Grantor Simmons sold property to Grantee Joiner. This transfer of the 200 acres had no witnesses listed.

      Other Simmons transactions:

      10-13-1783 Grantee Samuel Simmons given a grant of 200 Acres. The Chain Bearers were Wm. Mooreing, Wm. Turner. The abstract says that Samuel English is mentioned.

      1785 Grantor Samuel Simmons to Grantee Thomas Ringgold
      150 Acres, Former Owner John Simmons. Witnesses: Reden Blount, Isaac Blount

      1-10-1797 Grantor John Curlie to Grantee Thomas Cannon, Sr.
      100 A Former owner: Saml. Cannon (Patent 1762). Saml. Simmons.

      Judy

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
        Thank you, Judy. That clarifies it!

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
          Cynthia,
          Watching the snow fall this morning, I am thinking of your great post.

          When the wind blows, snow collected upon my 60' Blue Spruce's branches falls onto the wooden deck with such a force that it sounds like someone is throwing snowballs at the house. So, I'm glad to be inside researching this answer.

          Many of your ancestor's neighbors listed on these 1800 documents are related to my father-in-law.

          Edward Coward [~1726-] is his 5th great-grandfather.
          ...one son is ** Cullen Coward **
          ...one son is named Nathaniel [b:~1752]
          ...his daughter, Courtney [b:~1760] married ** Alexander Harper [Jr.] **

          Jonathan Frizzle Senr born about 1749 is his 7th great-grandfather.
          Enos Rogers is on the indenture documents for Stephen Coward and Sidney Coward
          Moses ROUNDTREE is (father of Arthur?) is his 9th great-granduncle
          Josiah Turnage, witness on Jeremiah McGlawhorn will Feb. 10, 1819,
          ... Jeremiah's daughter, Priscilla was married to Levin Turnage.

          = = = = =
          I hope you are not "too lost" in Wisconsin. If you come to Chicago for genealogy research, allow me to be your tour guide so you're not lost here.
          Marcia

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11, 2007
            Dear Marcia,
            One of my McGowan great uncles had the middle name
            Craven. Iredel for Iredell County was the first name
            of some of our ancestors. Interesting, isn't it?
            Reading one of your e-mails from Easter where you
            mentioned the snow reminds me of an unforgettable
            Chicago Easter when overnight the weather changed from
            mild and sunny with the appearance of a strong
            thunderstorm. We were visiting my husband's parents in
            Chicago that Easter and had brought only lightweight
            outfits and no sturdy shoes or boots. When we went
            outside the next morning, we were shocked to see the
            streets covered with snow. I was a sight trying to
            navigate the snow-covered sidewalks in my high heels
            while clinging to Jack in the interests of life and
            limb, awkward as a new-born colt on ice.
            Here in Richmond, Virginia for only the second time
            on record, we got snow for Easter--a record one inch
            here in the city. I left for the hour and a half drive
            to work shortly after 5 a.m. with visibility just
            inches beyond the hood of my car.
            I told people that someone was stealing the cotton
            from Peter Rabbit's tail. I could imagine the Easter
            Bunny hitching a ride on Santa's sleigh.
            Elise had just bought some new flowering plants for
            her front yard. She left them outside, and the cold
            killed them. The storm had also brought below freezing
            temperatures lasting several days and a typical
            Richmond wind strong enough to make any visiting Windy
            City native homesick. We had gusts up to 35 miles per
            hour.
            It reached the 20's here in the city, lower out in
            the surrounding counties, and lower still in the Blue
            Ridge Mountains and Bluefield, Virginia where I once
            lived. Bluefield is known as the "air-conditioned"
            city. I am quite sure that over Easter it lived up to
            its name.
            Later, Carol