CRAV

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10 9:48 PM
      Group,
      I found these possibilities for CRAV.

      The Center for Responsible Appraisal and Valuations (CRAV)
      Commissioner of the Revenue Association of Virginia (CRAV)
      Short for Craven County
      I'm thinking the best guess is it may be to clarify the person as a Craven resident.

      Marcia

      skipper4095386@... wrote:
      From the books "Index and Abstracts of Deeds of Record, Pitt County, North Carolina" by Judith DuPress Ellison:
      Deed Book O (1797-1801)
      3-2-1797 Grantor: Demsey Simmons (CRAV) Grantor: William Joiner 200 A

      Recent Activity

      1
      New Members

      Visit Your Group

      North carolina mountain real estate
      North carolina home
      North carolina mortgage lender
      North carolina real estate
      North carolina

      Yahoo! 360°
      Get Started
      Your place online
      To share your life

      Y! Toolbar
      Get it Free!
      easy 1-click access
      to your groups.

      Yahoo! Groups
      Start a group
      in 3 easy steps.
      Connect with others.

      .

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 11 6:02 AM
        Marcia,

        CRAV is Craven County. According to the book "Capital letters after a name denotes home county or state of grantee or grantor." In this case, Grantor Simmons sold property to Grantee Joiner. This transfer of the 200 acres had no witnesses listed.

        Other Simmons transactions:

        10-13-1783 Grantee Samuel Simmons given a grant of 200 Acres. The Chain Bearers were Wm. Mooreing, Wm. Turner. The abstract says that Samuel English is mentioned.

        1785 Grantor Samuel Simmons to Grantee Thomas Ringgold
        150 Acres, Former Owner John Simmons. Witnesses: Reden Blount, Isaac Blount

        1-10-1797 Grantor John Curlie to Grantee Thomas Cannon, Sr.
        100 A Former owner: Saml. Cannon (Patent 1762). Saml. Simmons.

        Judy

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 11 8:59 AM
          Thank you, Judy. That clarifies it!

        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 11 9:38 AM
            Cynthia,
            Watching the snow fall this morning, I am thinking of your great post.

            When the wind blows, snow collected upon my 60' Blue Spruce's branches falls onto the wooden deck with such a force that it sounds like someone is throwing snowballs at the house. So, I'm glad to be inside researching this answer.

            Many of your ancestor's neighbors listed on these 1800 documents are related to my father-in-law.

            Edward Coward [~1726-] is his 5th great-grandfather.
            ...one son is ** Cullen Coward **
            ...one son is named Nathaniel [b:~1752]
            ...his daughter, Courtney [b:~1760] married ** Alexander Harper [Jr.] **

            Jonathan Frizzle Senr born about 1749 is his 7th great-grandfather.
            Enos Rogers is on the indenture documents for Stephen Coward and Sidney Coward
            Moses ROUNDTREE is (father of Arthur?) is his 9th great-granduncle
            Josiah Turnage, witness on Jeremiah McGlawhorn will Feb. 10, 1819,
            ... Jeremiah's daughter, Priscilla was married to Levin Turnage.

            = = = = =
            I hope you are not "too lost" in Wisconsin. If you come to Chicago for genealogy research, allow me to be your tour guide so you're not lost here.
            Marcia

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 11 4:32 PM
              Dear Marcia,
              One of my McGowan great uncles had the middle name
              Craven. Iredel for Iredell County was the first name
              of some of our ancestors. Interesting, isn't it?
              Reading one of your e-mails from Easter where you
              mentioned the snow reminds me of an unforgettable
              Chicago Easter when overnight the weather changed from
              mild and sunny with the appearance of a strong
              thunderstorm. We were visiting my husband's parents in
              Chicago that Easter and had brought only lightweight
              outfits and no sturdy shoes or boots. When we went
              outside the next morning, we were shocked to see the
              streets covered with snow. I was a sight trying to
              navigate the snow-covered sidewalks in my high heels
              while clinging to Jack in the interests of life and
              limb, awkward as a new-born colt on ice.
              Here in Richmond, Virginia for only the second time
              on record, we got snow for Easter--a record one inch
              here in the city. I left for the hour and a half drive
              to work shortly after 5 a.m. with visibility just
              inches beyond the hood of my car.
              I told people that someone was stealing the cotton
              from Peter Rabbit's tail. I could imagine the Easter
              Bunny hitching a ride on Santa's sleigh.
              Elise had just bought some new flowering plants for
              her front yard. She left them outside, and the cold
              killed them. The storm had also brought below freezing
              temperatures lasting several days and a typical
              Richmond wind strong enough to make any visiting Windy
              City native homesick. We had gusts up to 35 miles per
              hour.
              It reached the 20's here in the city, lower out in
              the surrounding counties, and lower still in the Blue
              Ridge Mountains and Bluefield, Virginia where I once
              lived. Bluefield is known as the "air-conditioned"
              city. I am quite sure that over Easter it lived up to
              its name.
              Later, Carol