Re: [SPAM] RE: [genpcncfir] NYTimes.com: Stalking Strangers' DNA to Fill in theFamily Tree

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      Diane - The NY Times article focuses on the best-known company for doing this stuff, FamilyTreeDNA, and you're correct that they currently price their 12-marker DNA test at $149, despite the article's claim that cost only $99. I believe that you can get the $99 discounted price if you are accepted into one of their group projects. They have almost 4000 group projects, most of which are surname-based, but some of which are ethnic or geographical (e.g., American Indian, Jewish, Scottish Clans, etc.). Check out their listing of group projects on the following link:

      http://www.familytreedna.com/Surname.aspx

      Chances are you could fit at least one of them... then all you have to do is follow instructions on the group page to apply, and if you're accepted (and basically every sincere applicant is accepted), then ask about their group rate. I believe that group rates are the basis for the $99 price quoted in article.

      Good luck!

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007