RE: [genpcncfir] NYTimes.com: Stalking Strangers' DNA to Fill in theFamily Tree

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 12:45 PM
      Dear Brer Bob,
      The next time you are in town for an upcoming PCFR
      meeting, do give me a holler. I would be as happy as a
      child who had just run into the Easter Bunny.
      To have come to Judy's do, which I learned about
      late because like you I have too many fish in the
      fryer, would have run me very short on time and even
      shorter on sleep. Therefore, I did not chance it and
      thus missed a golden opportunity to meet people who
      have contributed so much to all our researches.
      I agree with you about the DNA. Fortunately, some
      kind soul included my great grandfather's name on my
      grandmother's marriage certificate. Because of him, I
      learned that William Kinsey McGowan was my great
      grandfather.
      I have no record of his marriage to his first
      cousin Jacky Ann McGowan with whom he had daughter
      Jenny Secession McGowan. All records except for the
      Death Certificate of Jacky Ann McGowan list her as
      single.
      Whatever the circumstances of the birth, like you,
      I wanted to know where I came from and what made me
      who I am. The circumstances don't really change me.
      My great grandparents weren't the first couple to
      have an out-of-wedlock child [if that is what
      happened] and I doubt seriously that they will be the
      last. Out of concern for us the six grandchildren,
      though, I wish with all my heart that people had seen
      things differently and had told us the truth from the
      get-go, whatever that truth was.
      Not having done so, left us thinking that something
      was wrong with us. Children, especially, try to live
      down their family histories if they are not trying to
      live up to them.
      We need more people like you in the world.
      Thanks for speaking up, Carol
      --- "bforbes@..."

      http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/us/02dna.html?ex=1176177600&en=0a899c306fe
      > 73a1e&ei=5070&emc=eta1

      > ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
      > This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through
      > NYTimes.com's E-mail This
      > Article service. For general information about
      > NYTimes.com, write to
      > help@....
      >
      > NYTimes.com 500 Seventh Avenue New York, NY 10018
      >
      > Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

      > mail2web.com - Microsoft® Exchange solutions from a
      > leading provider -
      > http://link.mail2web.com/Business/Exchange

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
    • Diane Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 4:37 PM
        Great article. Can anyone tell me where I can get this test done for $99? The cheapest I saw on the link in the article was $149. The article said it could be done for $99. Thanks, Diane---