RE: [genpcncfir] NYTimes.com: Stalking Strangers' DNA to Fill in theFamily Tree

  • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2007
      Dear "jcbunc" -- My apologies for not remembering your name if you stated
      it before on this list, but I wanted to thank you for providing the link to
      that very interesting NY Times articles on genetic DNA testing. I've been a
      proponent of DNA testing as a genealogical research aid for some 5 yrs now,
      since I learned about it by volunteering for a Scottish DNA research
      project. I continue to be amazed and dismayed by all the misunderstandings
      engendered about it, but I'll say it once again -- DNA typing has become an
      essential tool for anyone who's more than half serious about digging up
      their roots. To claim you're serious about genealogy while at the same
      time denouncing the value of DNA in that quest is kind of like proclaiming
      that the sun only comes out at night... they are irreconcilable statements
      in my opinion.

      Research your roots far enough back and we find we're all related to rogues
      as well as royalty. The majority of us likely have some 'non-paternal
      events' somewhere back in our past. I suspect the latter is the #1 reason
      why many folks decline to have their DNA tested. I like Mr. Grieve's quote
      in the article on that subject: "I don't put any blame on anybody... it
      would just be nice to know where I came from."

      The article was really well written in kind of tongue-in-cheek fashion (DNA
      pun intended I guess!), in that it brought out the dark side of some
      genealogical researchers... but in fact, just about everyone is overzealous
      in some pursuit or another.

      Which reminds me I need to get back to work... life has been very hectic
      lately but I'm glad to have run into a few of you at the PCFR meeting where
      I showed up late a couple weeks back... but was well worth it just converse
      with a few and enjoy some of Judy Lewis's pimento-cheese sandwiches. I've
      got emails from several of you running back to Jan. that I intend to answer
      sometime after taxes or the next project deadline or whenever I can come up
      for air...

      Y'all have a good week!

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
        Dear Brer Bob,
        The next time you are in town for an upcoming PCFR
        meeting, do give me a holler. I would be as happy as a
        child who had just run into the Easter Bunny.
        To have come to Judy's do, which I learned about
        late because like you I have too many fish in the
        fryer, would have run me very short on time and even
        shorter on sleep. Therefore, I did not chance it and
        thus missed a golden opportunity to meet people who
        have contributed so much to all our researches.
        I agree with you about the DNA. Fortunately, some
        kind soul included my great grandfather's name on my
        grandmother's marriage certificate. Because of him, I
        learned that William Kinsey McGowan was my great
        grandfather.
        I have no record of his marriage to his first
        cousin Jacky Ann McGowan with whom he had daughter
        Jenny Secession McGowan. All records except for the
        Death Certificate of Jacky Ann McGowan list her as
        single.
        Whatever the circumstances of the birth, like you,
        I wanted to know where I came from and what made me
        who I am. The circumstances don't really change me.
        My great grandparents weren't the first couple to
        have an out-of-wedlock child [if that is what
        happened] and I doubt seriously that they will be the
        last. Out of concern for us the six grandchildren,
        though, I wish with all my heart that people had seen
        things differently and had told us the truth from the
        get-go, whatever that truth was.
        Not having done so, left us thinking that something
        was wrong with us. Children, especially, try to live
        down their family histories if they are not trying to
        live up to them.
        We need more people like you in the world.
        Thanks for speaking up, Carol
        --- "bforbes@..."
        <bforbes@...> wrote:

        > Dear "jcbunc" -- My apologies for not remembering
        > your name if you stated
        > it before on this list, but I wanted to thank you
        > for providing the link to
        > that very interesting NY Times articles on genetic
        > DNA testing. I've been a
        > proponent of DNA testing as a genealogical research
        > aid for some 5 yrs now,
        > since I learned about it by volunteering for a
        > Scottish DNA research
        > project. I continue to be amazed and dismayed by
        > all the misunderstandings
        > engendered about it, but I'll say it once again --
        > DNA typing has become an
        > essential tool for anyone who's more than half
        > serious about digging up
        > their roots. To claim you're serious about
        > genealogy while at the same
        > time denouncing the value of DNA in that quest is
        > kind of like proclaiming
        > that the sun only comes out at night... they are
        > irreconcilable statements
        > in my opinion.
        >
        > Research your roots far enough back and we find
        > we're all related to rogues
        > as well as royalty. The majority of us likely have
        > some 'non-paternal
        > events' somewhere back in our past. I suspect the
        > latter is the #1 reason
        > why many folks decline to have their DNA tested. I
        > like Mr. Grieve's quote
        > in the article on that subject: "I don't put any
        > blame on anybody... it
        > would just be nice to know where I came from."
        >
        > The article was really well written in kind of
        > tongue-in-cheek fashion (DNA
        > pun intended I guess!), in that it brought out the
        > dark side of some
        > genealogical researchers... but in fact, just about
        > everyone is overzealous
        > in some pursuit or another.
        >
        > Which reminds me I need to get back to work... life
        > has been very hectic
        > lately but I'm glad to have run into a few of you at
        > the PCFR meeting where
        > I showed up late a couple weeks back... but was well
        > worth it just converse
        > with a few and enjoy some of Judy Lewis's
        > pimento-cheese sandwiches. I've
        > got emails from several of you running back to Jan.
        > that I intend to answer
        > sometime after taxes or the next project deadline or
        > whenever I can come up
        > for air...
        >
        > Y'all have a good week!
        >
        > Bob Forbes
        > bforbes@...

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
      • Diane Lovejoy
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2007
          Great article. Can anyone tell me where I can get this test done for $99? The cheapest I saw on the link in the article was $149. The article said it could be done for $99. Thanks, Diane---