CEMETERY SURVEY/RECORDS

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
      Traci has given some good advice on finding information about cemetery surveys and laws.

      I would add a couple of suggestions. I would contact the owner of the land where a family cemetery is lcoated and get to know them. A good relationship with them is vital. Let them know if there any thing you can do to help them protect the site. Let them know you are interested. Don't do it with an attitude of threatening them to make sure they don't destroy it.

      Second, I would get a copy of the survey form from the state and record all the names and dates. Then send it to the state for their records.

      In 1939-1941 there was a survey done by the WPA workers for the Historical Records Survey of North Carolina. Many sites were recorded and are in the state's records. You will note in that survey the names were listed only for those who died before 1914. Deaths were to be reported at that time to the Register of Deeds office for record. I wish the survey had included all the names they found when they did their survey. Because today some of the sites recorded no longer exist.

      In my survey of grave sites in Pitt County we have used four sources. First was our survey of the site, then compare it to Jeanette Cox St. Amand's listing, then compare with Lill Jackson's listing and lastly compare it with the HSRNC listing.
      We woud find differences of the surveys. So when the site was completed it was a compilation of all four surveys.
      Hopefully this will be ready this summer with records of over 800 sites and 40,000 names. This is just Pitt County.

    • Sue Jones Overton
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2007
        I was just getting ready to e-mail you to find out when it would be completed. You answered my question, Thank You. What a great amount of work for you and Mary! How would we go about getting the book, though. Will you post the information on these sites?
        Thank you,
        D. Sue

      • Evie Christian
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
          Is Overton a married or maiden name? Do you have any info on the Overton's? Thank you in advance! Em

          EM

        • Bill Kittrell
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
            There are Overtons in the Stokes area. There was a Stanley Over, (no given
            dates) in Co I 117th Inf CSA
            His wife was Hannah E. Overton b. 1825 d. 1903 Both buried in the
            Overton-Fleming-Cherry cemetery near Stokes.

            I believe his name was Robert Stanely Overton b. 1822 and married Hannah
            E. Ross b. 1825 d. 1903 Hannah's father was I believe William "Billy"
            Ross.

            Can you provide any Overton names to be checked.
            Bill