[genpcfr] Pitt County Cemeteries

  • JBarton851@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
      Query:

      I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does anyone
      know of such a list or lists.

      Jerry
    • Martha Marble
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
        Think there is a list, but I don't have it and not sure who compiled it.
        There is a copy at DAR which I use. Maybe someone else has that
        information. Rather doubt it still for sale.

        Martha

        At 08:29 PM 11/7/98 EST, you wrote:
        >Query:
        >
        > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does anyone
        >know of such a list or lists.
        >
        >Jerry
        >NextCard Internet VISA -- 2.9% intro APR
        >Earn free airline tickets WITH DOUBLE Rew@rds points.
        >http://ads.egroups.com/click/60/0/nextcard
        >

        >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

      • Robert Kirk
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
          I have 6 books on Cemeteries of Pitt Co. What name or Places are you
          looking for.
          > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does
          anyone
          >know of such a list or lists.
          >
          >Jerry
          >NextCard Internet VISA -- 2.9% intro APR
          >Earn free airline tickets WITH DOUBLE Rew@rds points.
          >http://ads.egroups.com/click/60/0/nextcard
          >

          >Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

        • Gloria S. Taylor
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
            Robert,
            Do your books give directions to the cemeteries? I am looking for a Jackson
            Cemetry in Jacksontown. Looking for Bryant Tripp and Abrigail Tripp.
            Thanks Gloria

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 7, 1998
              The primary name that I am searching for in the Pitt County Cemetery books is
              Tyson, or Tison. Any help would be appreciated.

              Jerry
            • Brenda Stocks
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
                Hi Gloria

                There is a Bryant Tripp, May 5,1836-July2, 1922 and his wife, Abigail
                Tripp, Jan.13,1839-Feb. 19,1926 buried in the Ayden Cemetery. Is this the
                one you're looking for?

                BrendaDavis Stocks

                ----------

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
                  At 08:29 PM 11/7/98 EST, you wrote:
                  >Query:
                  >
                  > I am searching for a list(s) of cemeteries in Pitt County. Does anyone
                  >know of such a list or lists.
                  >
                  >Jerry

                  Welcome Jerry... so glad to have you aboard!!
                  Bill Kitrell, PCFR Vice President, is compiling a book on cemeteries and
                  has done a mountain of research. As yet, he is not online but his snail
                  mail is:
                  2200 Blackjack Simpson Rd
                  Greenville, N.C. 27858-9327
                  Telephone: 252-758-2979

                  I just talked with him, gave him your surnames and he will be glad to
                  assist you, and anyone else out there!
                  also
                  Jeannette Cox St.Amand published several Volumes on Pitt County Gravestone
                  Records... they can be found in quite a few librarys.
                  Good researching to you...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 8, 1998
                    Gloria, (and everyone :) Welcome, again, to our list. My mother was a
                    JACKSON and the JACKSON Cememtery at Jacksontown is our family one. It is
                    located on Jacksontown Road off Hyw 11, on SR 1110. I, personally,
                    documented each gravesite in 1994. There are quite a few unmarked graves,
                    where wooden slabs had been & deteriorated..... also, an area about the
                    size of half a city block where all markers were gone.
                    I've just looked thru my list and your names are not included. Perhaps in
                    the Joyner Library they may have an earlier listing... I plan to persue
                    that course.
                    I'll be happy to send you a copy of what I have if you so desire.
                    Jewelle

                    At 10:23 PM 11/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
                    >Robert,
                    >Do your books give directions to the cemeteries? I am looking for a Jackson
                    >Cemetry in Jacksontown. Looking for Bryant Tripp and Abrigail Tripp.
                    >Thanks Gloria
                    >

                    >At 09:00 PM 11/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
                    >>I have 6 books on Cemeteries of Pitt Co. What name or Places are you
                    >>looking for.
                    <snip>

                  • dc09182000@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 27, 2001
                      I really appreciate the time and effort that went in to gathering the
                      information and getting in on the web site.

                      Old headstones can be very difficult to read, so I am not sure if
                      these are typos, my file is wrong, or the dates are too difficult to
                      read. Can these be checked against Annette's file? I want to make
                      sure my file is correct. Thanks.

                      the 5th cemetery in the list (Heading North on Hwy 11....):

                      Tom H, son of JT & MM Whitehurst. The list has August 13, 1914 and I
                      have August 3, 1914.

                      Paulina, wife of RA Davenport. The list has September 13, 1925 and I
                      have September 18, 1925.

                      Mary M, wife of JT Whitehurst. The list has May 11, 1932 and I have
                      November 11, 1932.

                      Russell, son of JL & Rebecca Whitehurst. The list has February 1907
                      and I have February 1901.

                      Diane Collins Whitehurst
                      dc09182000@...

                      Surnames: *Whitehurst *Andrews *Davenport *Whitman *Smith
                      *Roebuck
                    • JGrimes227@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                        I hope that those who love to "do" cemeteries will get themselves a cheap
                        digital camera and photograph the headstones and then file them on CDs.  You
                        can then make copies of the CDs and make them available to others.  I
                        hesitate to bring up the idea of using shaving cream on the face of the
                        headstone before photographing.  If we were to do this, along with a photo of
                        the name and vital stats of the person who made the inventory, in pretty
                        quick time we would have many headstones fully documented without the issure
                        of typos.  While I have photos of three family cemeteries, I will probably go
                        back and take digital pics of them.  There is nothing is nothing like a photo
                        to reassure oneself that the info is correct.  If anyone is getting ready to
                        "resurrect" an old, weeded over cemetery, I have some info on how to do that
                        (tools, etc.) and how to photograph them.

                        John B. Grimes
                        jgrimes227@...
                        Fairfax Station, VA 22039-2729

                      • Elizabeth Roebuck
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                          Dianne, I will be glad to recheck these dates. You are right about being
                          able to read them. You are right some are very difficult to read and that
                          why I put in that statement. Tombstones are like census records, you just
                          have to take what you see and and with family records, if there are any, and
                          go with the source you have the most confidence in. My gggreat
                          grandmother's surname was Vaughn and on the tomb, it read Baughn. I see
                          you have Roebuck as a surname, maybe we tie in.
                          Annette

                          >From: dc09182000@...
                          >To: genpcfr@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [genpcfr] Pitt County Cemeteries
                          >Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 04:57:09 -0000
                          >
                          >I really appreciate the time and effort that went in to gathering the
                          >information and getting in on the web site.
                          >
                          >Old headstones can be very difficult to read, so I am not sure if
                          >these are typos, my file is wrong, or the dates are too difficult to
                          >read. Can these be checked against Annette's file? I want to make
                          >sure my file is correct. Thanks.
                          >
                          >the 5th cemetery in the list (Heading North on Hwy 11....):
                          >
                          >Tom H, son of JT & MM Whitehurst. The list has August 13, 1914 and I
                          >have August 3, 1914.
                          >
                          >Paulina, wife of RA Davenport. The list has September 13, 1925 and I
                          >have September 18, 1925.
                          >
                          >Mary M, wife of JT Whitehurst. The list has May 11, 1932 and I have
                          >November 11, 1932.
                          >
                          >Russell, son of JL & Rebecca Whitehurst. The list has February 1907
                          >and I have February 1901.
                          >
                          >Diane Collins Whitehurst
                          >dc09182000@...
                          >
                          >Surnames: *Whitehurst *Andrews *Davenport *Whitman *Smith
                          >*Roebuck
                          >

                          >Excellent genealogy resourses available at PITT COUNTY FAMILY RESEARCHERS
                          >website. Suggest you BookMark it! Visit:

                        • James Shivers
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                            I remember distinctly a message in the cemetery list saying that use of
                            shaving cream on tombstones although it will bring out the lettering will
                            also lead to further deterioration of the headstone so i would offer the
                            advice to seek a professionals opinion about the cleaning and restoration of
                            any tombstones that require cleaning prior to photographing them.

                            James Shivers
                            spare-time cemetery nut

                            ***** Wanna stop the kids from requesting unneeded pee breaks on those long
                            trips ? *****
                            Mention if we stop we are going to document a local overgrown cemetery while
                            they are relieving themselves at the local burger king and after they are
                            done they can help.
                          • feonadorf@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 28, 2001
                              James,

                              My boys love to go to the Cemetery with me, but am sorry to say I've found
                              fake flowers in their pockets when we've arrived home. Now that Patrick my 6
                              year old can read, he always finds what I am looking for before I do. I guess
                              his height helps out.

                              Lisa
                            • JGrimes227@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                This is in response to Annette but may be of interest to others:

                                I was certainly not criticizing your work at all.  To find and document the
                                old cemeteries takes as many hands and interested folks as possible and
                                everyone who will go into overgrown cemeteries is needed.  It is just that
                                often there are conflicting data from one list to another, and I have found
                                myself doubting what I have just recorded and checked after I get home.
                                Photographing the headstones makes for a wonderful data base that can then be
                                checked and re-checked.  There are now digital cameras in the $200 dollar
                                range (and the price is dropping rapidly).  They don't use film and the
                                "pictures," being digital, can be loaded into your computer and "sent" to
                                others who, if you don't have a CD burner, can then make copies onto CDs.
                                The "pictures" can be printed in black and white or color on most modern
                                bubble jet or laser printers.  It's just a thought, like using a
                                Geo-Positioning Satellite (GPS) Receiver to note the exact location of a
                                remote cemetery so that ephemeral houses, stores, cross roads or what have
                                you do not have to be relied upon.  Some of this technology is beyond some
                                folks desires or resources.  For others, they just may not have been
                                introduced to the idea and would jump at the chance to improve their
                                accuracy, portability, and longevity of the fruits of their labor.

                              • sonskimp@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                  Too dim to read
                                • Elizabeth Roebuck
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                    I used only water and a brush and I had no problem removing the moss, dirt,
                                    and grime from the tombstone. Just take a little longer
                                    Annette

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                      also I checked my work as someone tho't there were typing errors in the list
                                      I just submitted and there are no typos. Just like with census you can only
                                      record what is carved in. My ggg grandmother's name was Vaughn and on the
                                      Tomb it reads Baughn. I can understand the sounds of V and B sounding
                                      alike.
                                      Annette

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 29, 2001
                                        Use shaving cream and a flash

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 30, 2001
                                          I use water only and a brush. And I will continue to "do" it the old
                                          fashion way.