Fwd: [genpcncfir] Old County Home (for Carol)

  • skipper4095386@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2007
      Carol,

      If you get any pictures, maybe you could put them on the website. I just do
      remember the "Old County Home". My mom and her sisters would say, "I guess
      one day we will end up in the Old County Home."

      I live on County Home Rd. and love the name has history.

      Thanks....Judy

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2007
        Dear Judy,
        I remember your having told me that is where you
        live. I believe that you are the one who helped my
        sister and me and my cousin and me when we were in
        Greenville by letting us follow you in our cars.
        Mama looked at her chances of entering the County
        Home from a little different perspective.
        What she said was that things had to improve since
        she already lived near door to the "poor house," as
        she called it.
        Since you do live on County Home Road and since our
        childhood home is still standing, you can look at our
        home and get a general picture of the County Home.
        The shape of both from the road were the same. The
        front entry and front doors were the same. Both were
        also painted white--why someone has since been
        inspired to paint ours grey, I don't know.
        The front doors of both led into a hall off which
        the other rooms branched. The hall of the County Home
        had a crystal chandelier hanging a few feet from the
        front door, where Mama preferred floor lamps. No doubt
        her choice was dictated by the fact that the glare
        from a chandelier was too intense for Uncle Mark.
        Bright lights therefore prevented his seeing clearly
        in addition to the fact that the glare caused him
        pain.
        The bedrooms of the County Home branched off the
        hall on either side just as ours did. The kitchen,
        like ours, was at the back of the house with an
        adjoining dining room.
        If I remember correctly, the kitchen and dining
        room were not separated from the rest of the house by
        branching porches as ours was. We had about 12 feet of
        what today would be considered a deck between our hall
        door and the kitchen door. Both the kitchen and dining
        rooms had separate entries off the back porch, but the
        County Home did not.
        I played there as a girl with the granddaughter of
        the Superintendent and his wife, and sometimes she
        came to my house when I didn't know she was visiting
        her grandparents. She had an older brother who was
        several years older than I. He was really nice, but he
        was definitely not interested in playing with girls!
        Mama and Mrs. Wilson ("Eva") were close friends,
        and she often took me with her when visiting Mrs.
        Wilson. Mrs. Wilson always served coffee in the
        sitting room across from the living room. Her living
        room actually contained a writing desk and sofa and
        chairs, just like Mama's. There she mostly read. Her
        telephone was in the living room as well, so she also
        conducted business there. Friends and family gathered
        either in the sitting room next door, where we spent
        most of our visits, or the kitchen.
        The floors, like ours, were wood. Like Mama, Mrs.
        Wilson kept hers polished to the point that they gave
        off a warm glow, especially in the early to
        mid-afternoon sun. The hall floor looked as if it were
        covered in gold beneath the chandelier. I, for one,
        loved it.
        The house had full-length windows, like ours. If
        you look at those on the front and sides of our house,
        you can imagine those of the County Home.
        Now, all I need to do is to go through my materials
        at home and see if I have a picture of our house, when
        it was painted white, and one of the County Home to
        share with you. One of Mama's friends frequently took
        pictures outside our house, and some of these have at
        least a view of the County Home.
        Good to hear from you, Carol