Re: Posted photos from Forbes Cemetery at Greenville C.C.

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Marcia - Thank you for posting this correction about Silas Gustavus
      Forbes, Jr. I've checked it w/ extensive gen. info on this Robert
      Forbes line sent to me by Marion Logsdon of Provo, Utah, and it
      checks out the way you've corrected it, so I made that correction in
      my photo caption.

      I have an interesting side note about the given name "Gustavus"
      (various spellings) that shows up with some frequency in the Forbes
      line of Pitt County. It's in the name of my grandfather Gus Evans
      Forbes, which he got from his foster father Gustavius Forbes Evans.
      Also passed down to my uncle Gus Evans Forbes, Jr. and 1st cousin Gus
      Evans Forbes III. And it appears in some other Forbes lines I've
      seen as well. It is geverally believed that the origin of the name
      in our clan is from 17th Swedish King Gustavus Adolphus, whom the
      then-chief of Forbes Clan, Alexander, served as general. DNA testing
      of several Forbes men from Pitt County proves relationship to the
      current Master of Forbes from Scotland, thus strongly indicating our
      common descendancy from this Alexander Forbes who named one of his
      sons after King Gustavus, which has been passed down in the family
      through the present day. The men from a number of Scottish Highland
      Clans such as Forbes made their livelihoods as mercenaries, fighting
      for one European monarch or another!

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn
      <marcia_mclawhorn@...> wrote:

      > Bob,
      > You have taken beautiful pictures. Those in this family, who live
      far from Greenville, must really appreciate your generosity in
      posting them.

      > By no means am I an authority on your family, but I do have a
      question on photo 13 [of 16].
      > You wrote, "Silas G. Forbes, 1861-1916 Silas G. Forbes was a
      son of Noah and Martha A.E. Forbes"

      > I have different parentage for Silas Gustavus Forbes.
      >
      > On the Pitt County, N.C. Death Certificate Index, I found this
      entry.

      > Death Date Name Race Father
      Mother Township
      > 11/22/16
      > Forbes, Silas G
      > Forbes, Silas G Sr
      > Evans, Mrtha W
      > Winterville
      > 4
      > 644
      >

      > So I had created this:
      > Generation No. 1
      >

      > 2. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Sr., born 22 Apr 1829 in (Pitt), NC. He
      was the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson. He married 3.
      Martha W. Evans Bef. 1861.
      > 3. Martha W. Evans, born 1841. She was the daughter of 6. John
      Calvin 'Calvin' Evans and 7. Nancy Patrick.

      > Child of Silas Forbes and Martha Evans is:
      > 1 i. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Jr., born 12 Jan 1861 in (Pitt),
      NC; died 22 Nov 1916 in Winterville, NC. He married Grace
      Ann 'Gracey' Forbes 13 Feb 1887 in Greenville, NC. She was born 25
      Jul 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Sep 1926. She is the daughter of
      James H. Forbes and Irene Tucker. James H. Forbes was also the son of
      4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson.
      > Generation No. 2
      >

      > 4. Robert Forbes, born 08 Apr 1789 in Greenville (Pitt), NC; died
      17 Dec 1845 in (Pitt), NC. He married 5. Gracey Tyson 1811 in (Pitt),
      NC.
      > 5. Gracey Tyson, born 10 May 1796 in (Pitt), NC; died 1875 in
      (Pitt), NC. She was the daughter of 10. Noah Tyson, Sr. and 11.
      Nise 'Nicy' Moore.

      > Sincerely, Marcia

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        Hi Bob,
        It is interesting to hear that the nickname "Gus" for most of men in your line is short for Gustavus. I had thought that some of those "Gus"s may have been short for Augustus.
        Marcia
        Marcia - ...

        bforbes@carolina. rr.com