Posted photos from Forbes Cemetery at Greenville C.C.

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
      Bob,
      You have taken beautiful pictures. Those in this family, who live far from Greenville, must really appreciate your generosity in posting them.

      By no means am I an authority on your family, but I do have a question on photo 13 [of 16].
      You wrote, "Silas G. Forbes, 1861-1916 Silas G. Forbes was a son of Noah and Martha A.E. Forbes"

      I have different parentage for Silas Gustavus Forbes.

      On the Pitt County, N.C. Death Certificate Index, I found this entry.

      Death Date Name Race Father Mother Township
      11/22/16
      Forbes, Silas G
      Forbes, Silas G Sr
      Evans, Mrtha W
      Winterville
      4
      644

      So I had created this:
      Generation No. 1

      2. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Sr., born 22 Apr 1829 in (Pitt), NC. He was the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson. He married 3. Martha W. Evans Bef. 1861.
      3. Martha W. Evans, born 1841. She was the daughter of 6. John Calvin 'Calvin' Evans and 7. Nancy Patrick.

      Child of Silas Forbes and Martha Evans is:
      1 i. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Jr., born 12 Jan 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Nov 1916 in Winterville, NC. He married Grace Ann 'Gracey' Forbes 13 Feb 1887 in Greenville, NC. She was born 25 Jul 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Sep 1926. She is the daughter of James H. Forbes and Irene Tucker. James H. Forbes was also the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson.
      Generation No. 2

      4. Robert Forbes, born 08 Apr 1789 in Greenville (Pitt), NC; died 17 Dec 1845 in (Pitt), NC. He married 5. Gracey Tyson 1811 in (Pitt), NC.
      5. Gracey Tyson, born 10 May 1796 in (Pitt), NC; died 1875 in (Pitt), NC. She was the daughter of 10. Noah Tyson, Sr. and 11. Nise 'Nicy' Moore.

      Sincerely, Marcia

    • Bob Forbes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        Marcia - Thank you for posting this correction about Silas Gustavus
        Forbes, Jr. I've checked it w/ extensive gen. info on this Robert
        Forbes line sent to me by Marion Logsdon of Provo, Utah, and it
        checks out the way you've corrected it, so I made that correction in
        my photo caption.

        I have an interesting side note about the given name "Gustavus"
        (various spellings) that shows up with some frequency in the Forbes
        line of Pitt County. It's in the name of my grandfather Gus Evans
        Forbes, which he got from his foster father Gustavius Forbes Evans.
        Also passed down to my uncle Gus Evans Forbes, Jr. and 1st cousin Gus
        Evans Forbes III. And it appears in some other Forbes lines I've
        seen as well. It is geverally believed that the origin of the name
        in our clan is from 17th Swedish King Gustavus Adolphus, whom the
        then-chief of Forbes Clan, Alexander, served as general. DNA testing
        of several Forbes men from Pitt County proves relationship to the
        current Master of Forbes from Scotland, thus strongly indicating our
        common descendancy from this Alexander Forbes who named one of his
        sons after King Gustavus, which has been passed down in the family
        through the present day. The men from a number of Scottish Highland
        Clans such as Forbes made their livelihoods as mercenaries, fighting
        for one European monarch or another!

        Bob Forbes
        bforbes@...

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn
        <marcia_mclawhorn@...> wrote:

        > Bob,
        > You have taken beautiful pictures. Those in this family, who live
        far from Greenville, must really appreciate your generosity in
        posting them.

        > By no means am I an authority on your family, but I do have a
        question on photo 13 [of 16].
        > You wrote, "Silas G. Forbes, 1861-1916 Silas G. Forbes was a
        son of Noah and Martha A.E. Forbes"

        > I have different parentage for Silas Gustavus Forbes.
        >
        > On the Pitt County, N.C. Death Certificate Index, I found this
        entry.

        > Death Date Name Race Father
        Mother Township
        > 11/22/16
        > Forbes, Silas G
        > Forbes, Silas G Sr
        > Evans, Mrtha W
        > Winterville
        > 4
        > 644
        >

        > So I had created this:
        > Generation No. 1
        >

        > 2. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Sr., born 22 Apr 1829 in (Pitt), NC. He
        was the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson. He married 3.
        Martha W. Evans Bef. 1861.
        > 3. Martha W. Evans, born 1841. She was the daughter of 6. John
        Calvin 'Calvin' Evans and 7. Nancy Patrick.

        > Child of Silas Forbes and Martha Evans is:
        > 1 i. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Jr., born 12 Jan 1861 in (Pitt),
        NC; died 22 Nov 1916 in Winterville, NC. He married Grace
        Ann 'Gracey' Forbes 13 Feb 1887 in Greenville, NC. She was born 25
        Jul 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Sep 1926. She is the daughter of
        James H. Forbes and Irene Tucker. James H. Forbes was also the son of
        4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson.
        > Generation No. 2
        >

        > 4. Robert Forbes, born 08 Apr 1789 in Greenville (Pitt), NC; died
        17 Dec 1845 in (Pitt), NC. He married 5. Gracey Tyson 1811 in (Pitt),
        NC.
        > 5. Gracey Tyson, born 10 May 1796 in (Pitt), NC; died 1875 in
        (Pitt), NC. She was the daughter of 10. Noah Tyson, Sr. and 11.
        Nise 'Nicy' Moore.

        > Sincerely, Marcia

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi Bob,
          It is interesting to hear that the nickname "Gus" for most of men in your line is short for Gustavus. I had thought that some of those "Gus"s may have been short for Augustus.
          Marcia
          Marcia - ...

          bforbes@carolina. rr.com