More photos posted to the genpcncfir site - Forbes Cemetery at Greenville C.C.

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2006
      Dear genpcncfir - I was in Greenville for part of a day last week.
      Weather was splendid so I spent some time outside, and ventured over
      to see the old Forbes Cemetery at Greenville Country Club, walking
      off a BBQ lunch I had at Parkers nearby. This is the cemetery of
      Robert Forbes (1789-1845) & his wife Gracey Tyson Forbes (1796-1875).
      They had at least a dozen children, most of whom lived to adulthood,
      so they have many descendants around today, including some of you.
      This is not my Forbes branch directly, although it is almost certain
      we have a common ancestor a generation or two back from Robert.

      John F. Moye, a descendant of that line, has told me that his
      grandfather and mine called each other cousins. The main problem
      seems to stem from no one quite knowing for sure the identity of the
      father of this Robert Forbes. Family legend asserts that Robert
      Forbes was an indentured servant in the household of Noah Tyson, and
      he married Noah's daughter Gracey. He eventually took over the Tyson
      farm and grist mill.

      The farm covered several hundred acres including the Greenville
      Country Club property south across present-day Hwy 264 through the
      area of Carolina East Mall. His son Noah Forbes Sr. (who married
      Artimissa Evans) eventually inherited and ran the mill, as did his
      son Noah Forbes Jr. (who married Martha Ann Elizabeth Tucker). Noah
      Forbes Sr. and his wife Artimissa were witnesses to a number of legal
      documents from my Forbes line, once again indicating a connection.

      I took several photos and posted them in a folder called "Forbes
      Cemetery at Greenville Country Club." The old cemetery is on a
      beautiful site (as shown in 1st photo) in a grove of trees along a
      golf path near the maintenance shed. The site overlooks the old
      location of the mill pond (2nd photo). Unfortunately, most of the
      headstones have been knocked off their bases and a lying flat. I took
      photos of several of them, which are posted on the site.

      I'm sure there are descendants of this line in the group who may be
      interested in visiting this cemetery. I know the folks at the
      country club do not mind these visits. Best way to access is follow
      the entrance road in toward the clubhouse. After the road takes a
      sharp left going in, look toward your right and you can see the
      cemetery across the fairway. Keep driving to the golfing area parking
      lot, park there and walk the cart path straight to the cemetery.

      It might be a worthwhile project for descendants of this line to pool
      some funds for having the downed headstones cemented back onto their
      bases. They make a good epoxy-bond cement these days that holds up
      quite well. Bill Kittrell or I could put you in touch with a man who
      does this type of cemetery work.

      Here's wishing the group a rewarding 2007 in family research!

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...
    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        Bob,
        You have taken beautiful pictures. Those in this family, who live far from Greenville, must really appreciate your generosity in posting them.

        By no means am I an authority on your family, but I do have a question on photo 13 [of 16].
        You wrote, "Silas G. Forbes, 1861-1916 Silas G. Forbes was a son of Noah and Martha A.E. Forbes"

        I have different parentage for Silas Gustavus Forbes.

        On the Pitt County, N.C. Death Certificate Index, I found this entry.

        Death Date Name Race Father Mother Township
        11/22/16
        Forbes, Silas G
        Forbes, Silas G Sr
        Evans, Mrtha W
        Winterville
        4
        644

        So I had created this:
        Generation No. 1

        2. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Sr., born 22 Apr 1829 in (Pitt), NC. He was the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson. He married 3. Martha W. Evans Bef. 1861.
        3. Martha W. Evans, born 1841. She was the daughter of 6. John Calvin 'Calvin' Evans and 7. Nancy Patrick.

        Child of Silas Forbes and Martha Evans is:
        1 i. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Jr., born 12 Jan 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Nov 1916 in Winterville, NC. He married Grace Ann 'Gracey' Forbes 13 Feb 1887 in Greenville, NC. She was born 25 Jul 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Sep 1926. She is the daughter of James H. Forbes and Irene Tucker. James H. Forbes was also the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson.
        Generation No. 2

        4. Robert Forbes, born 08 Apr 1789 in Greenville (Pitt), NC; died 17 Dec 1845 in (Pitt), NC. He married 5. Gracey Tyson 1811 in (Pitt), NC.
        5. Gracey Tyson, born 10 May 1796 in (Pitt), NC; died 1875 in (Pitt), NC. She was the daughter of 10. Noah Tyson, Sr. and 11. Nise 'Nicy' Moore.

        Sincerely, Marcia

      • Bob Forbes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          Marcia - Thank you for posting this correction about Silas Gustavus
          Forbes, Jr. I've checked it w/ extensive gen. info on this Robert
          Forbes line sent to me by Marion Logsdon of Provo, Utah, and it
          checks out the way you've corrected it, so I made that correction in
          my photo caption.

          I have an interesting side note about the given name "Gustavus"
          (various spellings) that shows up with some frequency in the Forbes
          line of Pitt County. It's in the name of my grandfather Gus Evans
          Forbes, which he got from his foster father Gustavius Forbes Evans.
          Also passed down to my uncle Gus Evans Forbes, Jr. and 1st cousin Gus
          Evans Forbes III. And it appears in some other Forbes lines I've
          seen as well. It is geverally believed that the origin of the name
          in our clan is from 17th Swedish King Gustavus Adolphus, whom the
          then-chief of Forbes Clan, Alexander, served as general. DNA testing
          of several Forbes men from Pitt County proves relationship to the
          current Master of Forbes from Scotland, thus strongly indicating our
          common descendancy from this Alexander Forbes who named one of his
          sons after King Gustavus, which has been passed down in the family
          through the present day. The men from a number of Scottish Highland
          Clans such as Forbes made their livelihoods as mercenaries, fighting
          for one European monarch or another!

          Bob Forbes
          bforbes@...

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Marcia McLawhorn
          <marcia_mclawhorn@...> wrote:

          > Bob,
          > You have taken beautiful pictures. Those in this family, who live
          far from Greenville, must really appreciate your generosity in
          posting them.

          > By no means am I an authority on your family, but I do have a
          question on photo 13 [of 16].
          > You wrote, "Silas G. Forbes, 1861-1916 Silas G. Forbes was a
          son of Noah and Martha A.E. Forbes"

          > I have different parentage for Silas Gustavus Forbes.
          >
          > On the Pitt County, N.C. Death Certificate Index, I found this
          entry.

          > Death Date Name Race Father
          Mother Township
          > 11/22/16
          > Forbes, Silas G
          > Forbes, Silas G Sr
          > Evans, Mrtha W
          > Winterville
          > 4
          > 644
          >

          > So I had created this:
          > Generation No. 1
          >

          > 2. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Sr., born 22 Apr 1829 in (Pitt), NC. He
          was the son of 4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson. He married 3.
          Martha W. Evans Bef. 1861.
          > 3. Martha W. Evans, born 1841. She was the daughter of 6. John
          Calvin 'Calvin' Evans and 7. Nancy Patrick.

          > Child of Silas Forbes and Martha Evans is:
          > 1 i. Silas Gustavus Forbes, Jr., born 12 Jan 1861 in (Pitt),
          NC; died 22 Nov 1916 in Winterville, NC. He married Grace
          Ann 'Gracey' Forbes 13 Feb 1887 in Greenville, NC. She was born 25
          Jul 1861 in (Pitt), NC; died 22 Sep 1926. She is the daughter of
          James H. Forbes and Irene Tucker. James H. Forbes was also the son of
          4. Robert Forbes and 5. Gracey Tyson.
          > Generation No. 2
          >

          > 4. Robert Forbes, born 08 Apr 1789 in Greenville (Pitt), NC; died
          17 Dec 1845 in (Pitt), NC. He married 5. Gracey Tyson 1811 in (Pitt),
          NC.
          > 5. Gracey Tyson, born 10 May 1796 in (Pitt), NC; died 1875 in
          (Pitt), NC. She was the daughter of 10. Noah Tyson, Sr. and 11.
          Nise 'Nicy' Moore.

          > Sincerely, Marcia

        • Marcia McLawhorn
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
            Hi Bob,
            It is interesting to hear that the nickname "Gus" for most of men in your line is short for Gustavus. I had thought that some of those "Gus"s may have been short for Augustus.
            Marcia
            Marcia - ...

            bforbes@carolina. rr.com