Re: [genpcncfir] Jackson's in Pitt County

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2006
      Dear Linda,
      The greatest reward for me is being able to assist
      others to fill in gaps in their own family history.
      The next greatest reward is being able to pass on to
      the youngest members of our families the stories of
      their ancestors and kin.
      I have spent more delightful hours over the pages
      and links from the Pitt County Family Researchers' web
      than over anything in my life except for the Sears'
      Christmas catalogue in my childhood.
      As I was thinking about the Jackson families of
      Pitt County, I was reminded of another Jackson family
      that I simply forgot to mention.
      Roy David Jackson, Sr. married Thelma Wilson,
      daughter of "Buster" and Eva Wilson of Pitt. They had
      two children: Roy David Jackson, Jr. and Betty Earle
      Jackson. These grandchildren became my friends because
      of our frequent visits with Mama to the Pitt County
      Home next door to us on County Home Road where their
      grandfather was Superintendent of the Pitt County
      Home. As Superintendent, his family were housed in the
      Superintendent's home on the property.
      That house was truly a magical place for me. My own
      McGowan great uncles had served as superintendents of
      the County Home themselves. So in addition to being
      able to play there, the house was also special because
      my great uncles and their families had lived there.
      Today, the County Home no longer houses the
      indigent nor the trustee prisoners who worked on the
      chain gangs performing road maintenance for Pitt
      County.
      Between what was our property and the Pitt County
      Home, on the same side of the road as the Home, is now
      an elementary school where my young cousins are
      pupils.
      Still, though, despite all the changes, through
      them the family ties continue. That's what brings us
      together as well.
      If perchance you do know about these County Home
      Jacksons, I am sure that many of us would appreciate
      your sharing their ties to other Pitt County and North
      Carolina families.
      Later, Carol

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com