Re: [genpcncfir] A man's Christmas passages....

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
      Dear Bob,
      This is absolutely wonderful! Since my brother's
      once coppper colored beard has turned snow white, my
      jovial brother can easily pass for Santa.
      From a feminine perspective, the story has a
      different slant.
      The day I awakened and realized that I was Santa
      was the first Christmas after my marriage when I no
      longer stirred on Christmas morning to the magic and
      mystery of Christmas with Mama and Uncle Mark.
      Of course at the age of 25 years, I knew that a
      human, or an elf at least, helped Santa make Christmas
      dreams come true. Still, both Mama and Uncle Mark
      could stretch a dollar further than anyone I have ever
      known. Our living room was always a wonder to behold
      on Christmas morning.
      In the days before my first Christmas in my own
      home, I woke up thinking how precious it would be to
      capture that specialness for my new family at
      Christmas. That was when I realized in a very
      different way that Santa is real and that he had
      passed on to me the legacy of keeping the spirit alive
      and of making dreams come true.
      I learned that Christmas was far more than things
      the Christmas of 1961 when someone set fire to our
      house, and we lost every thing we had, but thankfully,
      we still had one another.
      Mama was in the hospital recovering from yet another
      surgery following her diagnosis of metastatic uterine
      cancer three years earlier. The previous year our
      stepfather had had a massive heart attack the week
      before Thanksgiving and died before the rescue squad
      could reach the house in the driving sleet.
      Still only a few days post-op, Mama was too weak
      even to stand on her feet. Our uncle was home
      recovering from t.b. following his release from the
      sanitarium after an 18-month stay, but had seen the
      flames from the safety of the kitchen in time to
      escape the fire.
      When kind neighbors drove me to the hospital to find
      Mama distraught as I was the only one unaccounted for,
      I was touched my her belief that I had run back into
      the house to save the jewelry she had bought for me
      through the years.
      In the midst of our pain over being homeless, we
      came to know one another as we had never before done.
      Mama's lessons on the value of things had indeed been
      passed on to her daughter. What mattered to me was
      having Mama, not the things she had given me.
      For me, that was a life altering event. At
      Christmas especially, each one of us embodies the
      spirit of Santa. Through us, Santa, too, will always
      be with us.
      By the way, a neighbor's son, a close friend of my
      brother, had saved my jewelry. Despite Uncle Mark's
      pleas, he had grabbed a ladder from the workshop and
      climbed onto the roof of the burning house to break
      into my room and snatch my jewelry box. Can you
      imagine that?
      Later, Carol
      --- "bforbes@..."
      <bforbes@...> wrote:

      > "I have not heard about the 4 stages of a man's life
      > related to Santa.
      > Please tell.
      > suzanne"
      >
      > OK, well, there are really only 4 stages to a man's
      > life, and all of them
      > seem to revolve around Christmas:
      >
      > Stage 1 - He BELIEVES in Santa Claus :-)
      >
      > Stage 2 - He NO LONGER BELIEVES in Santa :-(
      >
      > Stage 3 - He realizes he IS Santa <;-)>
      >
      > Stage 4 - He looks MORE & MORE LIKE Santa every year
      > <:-)>>>
      >
      > I believe I'm somewhere between Stages 3 and 4....
      >
      > bforbes@...

      > http://mail2web.com/ .

    • Faye Silliman
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
        You must write all this down and publish, my dear.
        What a beautiful story.

        May be that we all have a special holiday story to
        share.

        Thank you.

        Want to start your own business?
        Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
        http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
          Dear Faye,
          It's so generous of you to share your thoughts.
          Thank you very much.
          Mama and Uncle Mark were incredibly strong and
          wise. I always felt I was lacking that special
          something that they had--compassion, selflessness, and
          wisdom. With the wisdom came self-examination and
          self-knowledge, the ability to ask questions and to
          lose without demeaning oneself--equating losing with
          being a loser. Even yet, I continue to work on those
          last ones. What was so natural for Mama and Uncle Mark
          were so unnatural for me.
          I think the difference was that I wanted more than
          anything for them to be proud of me, and I equated
          that with never having to say "I don't know."
          What I did not understand from the very beginning
          was that they were proud of me. I did not have to
          "make" them proud of me.
          Because of my feelings, I walked a very careful
          path with my own children, perhaps too careful a path.
          I was fearful that they would love me too much and
          think me much stronger and wiser than I actually was.
          If they did, then they might think less of themselves
          and of their abilities.
          What happened was their thinking I didn't care
          about them, that I lived in the world of ideas. The
          truth was very different.
          I enjoyed ideas. I loved people and loved them for
          themselves, not for their ideas.
          I do not know if where you are there is the t.v.
          program called "Numbers." It's about Charlie, a
          mathematics professor, and his brother an F.B.I.
          agent. Charlie is a genius who uses math to solve
          crimes for his brother.
          He represses his feelings because he is
          uncomfortable with them. He is uncomfortable with them
          because he doesn't trust them. He can't prove them. He
          has nothing to measure them against. He comes close to
          our idea of the "mad scientist" who is a recluse. My
          children still think of me like that, but I am so not
          like that.
          True, when working on something, I am incredibly
          focused, but not at all like Charlie where it's normal
          for him to be "in his shell," as Mama called it.
          So, all this leads to why I wanted to give my own
          family the magic of Christmas.
          At least for my son, who is my first born, I know
          from his special phone call to me last night that I
          succeeded.
          I am beginning to see signs in my daughter, a new
          mother with her own little girl. After long years,
          that's encouraging.
          Later, Carol

          Have a burning question?