John Arthur Forbes' children

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2006
      Bob - I had both a John A. Forbes and John Arthur
      Forbes, who was married to Lula Elizabeth Askew. The
      later had an estimate birth year. Thank you, they are
      now one and the same.

      Possible info for John Arthur Forbes' children:
      1) Joseph Earl Forbes (21Oct1899 - Oct1969 per SSDI)
      His wife - Annie Lawrence Burnette is the daughter of
      George Henry Burnette Sr. and wife Annie Ruth Tyson
      [whose parents are Henry Sherrod Tyson and wife
      Caroline Phillips Joyner]

      2) Lula Askew Forbes (b:26Jul1903 - Feb1976 per
      SSDI)
      Looks like she did not wed.

      3) Mary Ethel Forbes - I didn't know about her
      marriage, but cannot find her on SSDI with surnames of
      Forbes / Hardy / Hardee. There are 122 Mary's born on
      14 May 1908. Perhaps she married again.

      Marcia

      --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
      > Marcia - His full name was John Arthur Forbes
      > (1871-bef.1962), and he was the only child (as far
      > as I know) of Arthur Forbes (1806-1881) and his 2nd
      > wife Mary Frances Hearne (1842-1874). John Arthur
      > Forbes married Lula Askew (1869-1962) of Farmville
      > in 1895, and they lived on a what was apparently her
      > family's farm outside of Farmville. They had 3
      > children: Joseph Earl Forbes b.1899, Lula Askew
      > Forbes b.1903, and Mary Ethel Forbes b.1908, who
      > later married Jack Hardy.

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Bob Forbes
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
        Your info on Joseph Earl Forbes & Lula Askew Forbes agrees w/ mine. As to Mary Ethel Forbes, all I have besides her birthdate is found in her father's obituary from Farmville NC (undated in my records except for "June 30" - no year), which names a surviving daughter as "Mrs. Jack Hardy of Goldsboro." The obituary of her mother, Lula Askew Forbes, also from Farmville and dated Mar. 27, 1962, names only two surviving children: Lula Forbes of Farmville (so yes, we can assume she did not marry), and J. Earl Forbes of Hampton, VA. So we must assume that the other daughter, Mary Ethel Forbes who married Jack Hardy of Goldsboro, had died by March 1962.

        Bob Forbes

        --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
        > Marcia - His full name was John Arthur Forbes
        > (1871-bef.1962), and he was the only child (as far
        > as I know) of Arthur Forbes (1806-1881) and his 2nd
        > wife Mary Frances Hearne (1842-1874). John Arthur
        > Forbes married Lula Askew (1869-1962) of Farmville
        > in 1895, and they lived on a what was apparently her
        > family's farm outside of Farmville. They had 3
        > children: Joseph Earl Forbes b.1899, Lula Askew
        > Forbes b.1903, and Mary Ethel Forbes b.1908, who
        > later married Jack Hardy.

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
          Bob & all,
          Don't you just hate it.... I know I do, when I find I
          didn't save an important piece of info that I must
          have had.
          Marcia
          But - Getting better as I age

          --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:

          > Your info on Joseph Earl Forbes & Lula Askew Forbes
          > agrees w/ mine. As to Mary Ethel Forbes, all I have
          > besides her birthdate is found in her father's
          > obituary from Farmville NC (undated in my records
          > except for "June 30" - no year), which names a
          > surviving daughter as "Mrs. Jack Hardy of
          > Goldsboro." The obituary of her mother, Lula Askew
          > Forbes, also from Farmville and dated Mar. 27, 1962,
          > names only two surviving children: Lula Forbes of
          > Farmville (so yes, we can assume she did not marry),
          > and J. Earl Forbes of Hampton, VA. So we must assume
          > that the other daughter, Mary Ethel Forbes who
          > married Jack Hardy of Goldsboro, had died by March
          > 1962.
          > Bob Forbes

          Cheap talk?
          http://voice.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
            Dear Marcia,
            Yes, I do! Worse yet is my habit of writing on a
            slip of paper in the library or on a napkin from my
            pocket and then losing the paper.
            I, too, have improved with age. I now carry a stack
            of rubber-banded note cards in my bag and a flash
            [jump drive] in my pocket!
            Later, Carol
            --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>