John Arthur Forbes of Pitt County, NC

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2006
      Marcia - His full name was John Arthur Forbes (1871-bef.1962), and he was the only child (as far as I know) of Arthur Forbes (1806-1881) and his 2nd wife Mary Frances Hearne (1842-1874). John Arthur Forbes married Lula Askew (1869-1962) of Farmville in 1895, and they lived on a what was apparently her family's farm outside of Farmville. They had 3 children: Joseph Earl Forbes b.1899, Lula Askew Forbes b.1903, and Mary Ethel Forbes b.1908, who later married Jack Hardy.

      There are a number of descendants of John Arthur Forbes and Lula Askew who are around today, I'm sure. Lula Askew Forbes's obituary says she died at the age of 93 in 1962, survived by 6 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. I am trying to dig up more info on the patriarch of this clan, Arthur Forbes (1806-1881), and would liike to hear from any of his descendants who happen to pick up this post and might have any info on his life or the lives of his children, no matter how obscure...

      As to my contemporaries Steve and Spencer Mims, grandsons of Russell Stancill, all I can tell you is that they are sons of one of Russell Stancill's daughters. Their father, Mr. (I think he also goes by Spencer) Mims, went to college at ECC (now ECU) in the 1940's and now lives in Charlotte.

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2006
        I believe her name was Mattie Brown Stancill b. August 13, 1932, d/o John
        Russell Stancill and Mary Augusta "Mae" Tucker. They also had children, Mae
        Tucker Stancill, John Russell, Jr., Ruel Seth, Dorothy Ann (John Foell),
        Sarah Frances (Bill Glasgow).

        Bob, you remember the old Greenville Greenies baseball team that played in
        the Coastal Plains League, John Foell came to Greenville to play ball for
        them in the 1940s. A good left handed pitcher.
        Bill
        > Marcia - His full name was John Arthur Forbes (1871-bef.1962), and he was
        > the only child (as far as I know) of Arthur Forbes (1806-1881) and his 2nd
        > wife Mary Frances Hearne (1842-1874). John Arthur Forbes married Lula
        > Askew (1869-1962) of Farmville in 1895, and they lived on a what was
        > apparently her family's farm outside of Farmville. They had 3 children:
        > Joseph Earl Forbes b.1899, Lula Askew Forbes b.1903, and Mary Ethel Forbes
        > b.1908, who later married Jack Hardy.
        >
        > There are a number of descendants of John Arthur Forbes and Lula Askew who
        > are around today, I'm sure. Lula Askew Forbes's obituary says she died at
        > the age of 93 in 1962, survived by 6 grandchildren and 10
        > great-grandchildren. I am trying to dig up more info on the patriarch of
        > this clan, Arthur Forbes (1806-1881), and would liike to hear from any of
        > his descendants who happen to pick up this post and might have any info on
        > his life or the lives of his children, no matter how obscure...
        >
        > As to my contemporaries Steve and Spencer Mims, grandsons of Russell
        > Stancill, all I can tell you is that they are sons of one of Russell
        > Stancill's daughters. Their father, Mr. (I think he also goes by Spencer)
        > Mims, went to college at ECC (now ECU) in the 1940's and now lives in
        > Charlotte.
        >
        > Bob Forbes
        > bforbes@...

      • Marcia McLawhorn
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 10, 2006
          Bob - I had both a John A. Forbes and John Arthur
          Forbes, who was married to Lula Elizabeth Askew. The
          later had an estimate birth year. Thank you, they are
          now one and the same.

          Possible info for John Arthur Forbes' children:
          1) Joseph Earl Forbes (21Oct1899 - Oct1969 per SSDI)
          His wife - Annie Lawrence Burnette is the daughter of
          George Henry Burnette Sr. and wife Annie Ruth Tyson
          [whose parents are Henry Sherrod Tyson and wife
          Caroline Phillips Joyner]

          2) Lula Askew Forbes (b:26Jul1903 - Feb1976 per
          SSDI)
          Looks like she did not wed.

          3) Mary Ethel Forbes - I didn't know about her
          marriage, but cannot find her on SSDI with surnames of
          Forbes / Hardy / Hardee. There are 122 Mary's born on
          14 May 1908. Perhaps she married again.

          Marcia

          --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
          > Marcia - His full name was John Arthur Forbes
          > (1871-bef.1962), and he was the only child (as far
          > as I know) of Arthur Forbes (1806-1881) and his 2nd
          > wife Mary Frances Hearne (1842-1874). John Arthur
          > Forbes married Lula Askew (1869-1962) of Farmville
          > in 1895, and they lived on a what was apparently her
          > family's farm outside of Farmville. They had 3
          > children: Joseph Earl Forbes b.1899, Lula Askew
          > Forbes b.1903, and Mary Ethel Forbes b.1908, who
          > later married Jack Hardy.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • Bob Forbes
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
            Your info on Joseph Earl Forbes & Lula Askew Forbes agrees w/ mine. As to Mary Ethel Forbes, all I have besides her birthdate is found in her father's obituary from Farmville NC (undated in my records except for "June 30" - no year), which names a surviving daughter as "Mrs. Jack Hardy of Goldsboro." The obituary of her mother, Lula Askew Forbes, also from Farmville and dated Mar. 27, 1962, names only two surviving children: Lula Forbes of Farmville (so yes, we can assume she did not marry), and J. Earl Forbes of Hampton, VA. So we must assume that the other daughter, Mary Ethel Forbes who married Jack Hardy of Goldsboro, had died by March 1962.

            Bob Forbes

            --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
            > Marcia - His full name was John Arthur Forbes
            > (1871-bef.1962), and he was the only child (as far
            > as I know) of Arthur Forbes (1806-1881) and his 2nd
            > wife Mary Frances Hearne (1842-1874). John Arthur
            > Forbes married Lula Askew (1869-1962) of Farmville
            > in 1895, and they lived on a what was apparently her
            > family's farm outside of Farmville. They had 3
            > children: Joseph Earl Forbes b.1899, Lula Askew
            > Forbes b.1903, and Mary Ethel Forbes b.1908, who
            > later married Jack Hardy.

          • Marcia McLawhorn
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
              Bob & all,
              Don't you just hate it.... I know I do, when I find I
              didn't save an important piece of info that I must
              have had.
              Marcia
              But - Getting better as I age

              --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:

              > Your info on Joseph Earl Forbes & Lula Askew Forbes
              > agrees w/ mine. As to Mary Ethel Forbes, all I have
              > besides her birthdate is found in her father's
              > obituary from Farmville NC (undated in my records
              > except for "June 30" - no year), which names a
              > surviving daughter as "Mrs. Jack Hardy of
              > Goldsboro." The obituary of her mother, Lula Askew
              > Forbes, also from Farmville and dated Mar. 27, 1962,
              > names only two surviving children: Lula Forbes of
              > Farmville (so yes, we can assume she did not marry),
              > and J. Earl Forbes of Hampton, VA. So we must assume
              > that the other daughter, Mary Ethel Forbes who
              > married Jack Hardy of Goldsboro, had died by March
              > 1962.
              > Bob Forbes

              Cheap talk?
              http://voice.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2006
                Dear Marcia,
                Yes, I do! Worse yet is my habit of writing on a
                slip of paper in the library or on a napkin from my
                pocket and then losing the paper.
                I, too, have improved with age. I now carry a stack
                of rubber-banded note cards in my bag and a flash
                [jump drive] in my pocket!
                Later, Carol
                --- Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@...>