A man's Christmas passages....

  • bforbes@carolina.rr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006

      "I have not heard about the 4 stages of a man's life related to Santa.
      Please tell.
      suzanne"

      OK, well, there are really only 4 stages to a man's life, and all of them
      seem to revolve around Christmas:

      Stage 1 - He BELIEVES in Santa Claus :-)

      Stage 2 - He NO LONGER BELIEVES in Santa :-(

      Stage 3 - He realizes he IS Santa <;-)>

      Stage 4 - He looks MORE & MORE LIKE Santa every year <:-)>>>

      I believe I'm somewhere between Stages 3 and 4....

      bforbes@...

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Sauls
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
        thanks!!! I enjoyed that and see where my hubby fits in (stage 4) <g>
        suzanne

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
          Dear Bob,
          This is absolutely wonderful! Since my brother's
          once coppper colored beard has turned snow white, my
          jovial brother can easily pass for Santa.
          From a feminine perspective, the story has a
          different slant.
          The day I awakened and realized that I was Santa
          was the first Christmas after my marriage when I no
          longer stirred on Christmas morning to the magic and
          mystery of Christmas with Mama and Uncle Mark.
          Of course at the age of 25 years, I knew that a
          human, or an elf at least, helped Santa make Christmas
          dreams come true. Still, both Mama and Uncle Mark
          could stretch a dollar further than anyone I have ever
          known. Our living room was always a wonder to behold
          on Christmas morning.
          In the days before my first Christmas in my own
          home, I woke up thinking how precious it would be to
          capture that specialness for my new family at
          Christmas. That was when I realized in a very
          different way that Santa is real and that he had
          passed on to me the legacy of keeping the spirit alive
          and of making dreams come true.
          I learned that Christmas was far more than things
          the Christmas of 1961 when someone set fire to our
          house, and we lost every thing we had, but thankfully,
          we still had one another.
          Mama was in the hospital recovering from yet another
          surgery following her diagnosis of metastatic uterine
          cancer three years earlier. The previous year our
          stepfather had had a massive heart attack the week
          before Thanksgiving and died before the rescue squad
          could reach the house in the driving sleet.
          Still only a few days post-op, Mama was too weak
          even to stand on her feet. Our uncle was home
          recovering from t.b. following his release from the
          sanitarium after an 18-month stay, but had seen the
          flames from the safety of the kitchen in time to
          escape the fire.
          When kind neighbors drove me to the hospital to find
          Mama distraught as I was the only one unaccounted for,
          I was touched my her belief that I had run back into
          the house to save the jewelry she had bought for me
          through the years.
          In the midst of our pain over being homeless, we
          came to know one another as we had never before done.
          Mama's lessons on the value of things had indeed been
          passed on to her daughter. What mattered to me was
          having Mama, not the things she had given me.
          For me, that was a life altering event. At
          Christmas especially, each one of us embodies the
          spirit of Santa. Through us, Santa, too, will always
          be with us.
          By the way, a neighbor's son, a close friend of my
          brother, had saved my jewelry. Despite Uncle Mark's
          pleas, he had grabbed a ladder from the workshop and
          climbed onto the roof of the burning house to break
          into my room and snatch my jewelry box. Can you
          imagine that?
          Later, Carol
          --- "bforbes@..."
          <bforbes@...> wrote:

          > "I have not heard about the 4 stages of a man's life
          > related to Santa.
          > Please tell.
          > suzanne"
          >
          > OK, well, there are really only 4 stages to a man's
          > life, and all of them
          > seem to revolve around Christmas:
          >
          > Stage 1 - He BELIEVES in Santa Claus :-)
          >
          > Stage 2 - He NO LONGER BELIEVES in Santa :-(
          >
          > Stage 3 - He realizes he IS Santa <;-)>
          >
          > Stage 4 - He looks MORE & MORE LIKE Santa every year
          > <:-)>>>
          >
          > I believe I'm somewhere between Stages 3 and 4....
          >
          > bforbes@...

          > http://mail2web.com/ .

        • Faye Silliman
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
            You must write all this down and publish, my dear.
            What a beautiful story.

            May be that we all have a special holiday story to
            share.

            Thank you.

            Want to start your own business?
            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
            http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
              Dear Faye,
              It's so generous of you to share your thoughts.
              Thank you very much.
              Mama and Uncle Mark were incredibly strong and
              wise. I always felt I was lacking that special
              something that they had--compassion, selflessness, and
              wisdom. With the wisdom came self-examination and
              self-knowledge, the ability to ask questions and to
              lose without demeaning oneself--equating losing with
              being a loser. Even yet, I continue to work on those
              last ones. What was so natural for Mama and Uncle Mark
              were so unnatural for me.
              I think the difference was that I wanted more than
              anything for them to be proud of me, and I equated
              that with never having to say "I don't know."
              What I did not understand from the very beginning
              was that they were proud of me. I did not have to
              "make" them proud of me.
              Because of my feelings, I walked a very careful
              path with my own children, perhaps too careful a path.
              I was fearful that they would love me too much and
              think me much stronger and wiser than I actually was.
              If they did, then they might think less of themselves
              and of their abilities.
              What happened was their thinking I didn't care
              about them, that I lived in the world of ideas. The
              truth was very different.
              I enjoyed ideas. I loved people and loved them for
              themselves, not for their ideas.
              I do not know if where you are there is the t.v.
              program called "Numbers." It's about Charlie, a
              mathematics professor, and his brother an F.B.I.
              agent. Charlie is a genius who uses math to solve
              crimes for his brother.
              He represses his feelings because he is
              uncomfortable with them. He is uncomfortable with them
              because he doesn't trust them. He can't prove them. He
              has nothing to measure them against. He comes close to
              our idea of the "mad scientist" who is a recluse. My
              children still think of me like that, but I am so not
              like that.
              True, when working on something, I am incredibly
              focused, but not at all like Charlie where it's normal
              for him to be "in his shell," as Mama called it.
              So, all this leads to why I wanted to give my own
              family the magic of Christmas.
              At least for my son, who is my first born, I know
              from his special phone call to me last night that I
              succeeded.
              I am beginning to see signs in my daughter, a new
              mother with her own little girl. After long years,
              that's encouraging.
              Later, Carol

              Have a burning question?