Oxford Orphanage in Granville

  • Molan, Gary - ES/EW
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
      Does anyone have a information on locating or obtaining Pitt Cty Orphan
      Records ? We are looking for information about orphans placed in the
      Oxford Orphanage in Granville from 1875 to 1900. Has anyone had to
      interface with this Orphanage for their ancestors ? Were there any Pitt
      Cty records that recorded the events ?

      Thanks
      Gary Molan

      ************************************
      This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and intended solely
      for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
      received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views
      or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not
      necessarily represent those of ITT, Inc. The recipient should check
      this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts
      no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
        This is a "newer" list than the one you are looking. From the 66th Annual
        Report of the Oxford Orphanage, Year ending 1938:

        Children from Pitt County:

        Louise Jones
        Sudie Jones
        Pearl Jones
        Billy Todd
        Elizabeth Wainwright
        Lizzie Wainwright

        This list came from a UNC Library website........Judy

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
          Dear Gary,
          Pitt County Census Records list the residents of
          the orphanage. I remember having seen a couple of
          these. I came upon one of these by chance when at the
          State Library of Virginia leafing through North
          Carolina census records.
          I forget, though, exactly how the facility was
          listed. If none of our group joins the discussion to
          tell you, I feel sure that you can find out from
          e-mailing the Joyner Library in Greenville, N.C. from
          the Pitt County Family Researcher's web at
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr and to to the link for
          Joyner Library.
          Later, Carol