Elderly Dads

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2006
      Just to emphasize Carol's point, I suppose, I have a 2-gr-grand uncle, Arthur Forbes (b.1806-d.1881,twin to my gr-gr-grandfather Alfred Forbes, b.1806-d.1847), who fathered his last child and only son, Archibald Rodolph Forbes(1881-1938), at the tender old age of 75 in Dec. 1880. Unfortunately, Arthur Forbes died in Feb. 1881 just a couple of months after his son was born, so he never got to know his son. His widow, Mary Virginia Stancill Forbes (b.1849-d.1934), raised that son to adulthood with the help of her Stancill relatives, and survived her husband many more years as you can see.

      I doubt that is any kind of record for elderly dads... it's just another interesting fact from my family history. This Arthur Forbes was a well-known Pitt County citizen of his day. He donated much of his crops and money to the Confederate cause in the Civil War, and after the war he donated the land and partially funded the construction of the Forbes-Joyner schoolhouse on the Falkland Hwy, which later became the first "model school" where future teachers from ECTTS (later ECU) trained, as shown in following link:

      http://www.ecu.edu/lib/archives/bldg_history.cfm?id=67

      I re-discovered this ancestor's grave site and headstone just a couple of years ago with the help of Steve & Spencer Mims, grandsons of Russell Stancill, who remembered seeing the graveyard as young boys when they visited their granddad. Via correspondence on the Internet, they led me right to his buried headstone in the woods!

      Bob Forbes
      bforbes@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2006
        Interesting!

        What happened to John A. Forbes, Arthur's [nine year
        old] son on 1880 census? Was his mother Frances
        Hearne?

        Was the father of the Mim's brothers from Florida?
        There is a town in Brevard County with that name. I
        visit that county periodically.

        Full of questions, Marcia

        --- Bob Forbes <bforbes@...> wrote:
        > Just to emphasize Carol's point, I suppose, I have a
        > 2-gr-grand uncle, Arthur Forbes (b.1806-d.1881,twin
        > to my gr-gr-grandfather Alfred Forbes,
        > b.1806-d.1847), who fathered his last child and only
        > son, Archibald Rodolph Forbes(1881-1938), at the
        > tender old age of 75 in Dec. 1880. Unfortunately,
        > Arthur Forbes died in Feb. 1881 just a couple of
        > months after his son was born, so he never got to
        > know his son. His widow, Mary Virginia Stancill
        > Forbes (b.1849-d.1934), raised that son to adulthood
        > with the help of her Stancill relatives, and
        > survived her husband many more years as you can see.
        >
        > ... omitted some
        >
        > I re-discovered this ancestor's grave site and
        > headstone just a couple of years ago with the help
        > of Steve & Spencer Mims, grandsons of Russell
        > Stancill, who remembered seeing the graveyard as
        > young boys when they visited their granddad. Via
        > correspondence on the Internet, they led me right to
        > his buried headstone in the woods!
        >
        > Bob Forbes

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.