Re: [genpcncfir] Jackson's in Pitt County

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
      Dear Nicole,
      Lisa has done an incredible amount of hands on
      research to supplement what group members like us have
      shared with her. Her roots are also Pitt County, N.C.
      though, like many of us, she lives out-of-state now.
      She makes frequent trips, considering the distance, to
      visit cemeteries, court houses, and libraries. She
      uses public documents like census records and vital
      statistics to verify information, and she gives
      periodic up-dates. Last year, she did extensive
      up-dates of material on her web to the extent, in
      fact, that her site was down for several weeks.
      Of course, humans being what they are, there are
      errors at times, and in my own ignorance, I have
      contributed my share. However, as soon as I learn of
      my mistakes, I contact Lisa, and she very graciously
      up-dates and revises her information.
      She has made an incredible contribution to our
      knowledge of our Pitt County families.
      Later, Carol
      --- nsutti <nsutti@...> wrote:

      > I was able to trace a lot of Jackson history due to
      > Lisa Scarola, but
      > I'm not sure if she is just a researcher. Her
      > email does not work
      > anymore. Any other Jackson kin here?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Nicole

      Cheap talk?
      http://voice.yahoo.com
    • LdMel1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
        How do we find her Web site? Thanks...

        Have a blessed day
        Linda

        --- nsutti <nsutti@...> wrote:

        > I was able to trace a lot of Jackson history due to
        > Lisa Scarola, but
        > I'm not sure if she is just a researcher. Her
        > email does not work
        > anymore. Any other Jackson kin here?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Nicole

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
          Dear Linda,
          Go to http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr That is the
          web of the Pitt County Family Researchers. From that
          page, you will find a box with a list of items
          including Online Resources (gives you cemeteries,
          Bible records, deeds, articles from the Eastern and
          Daily Reflector from 1882 to about 1906, death
          records, marriage records) and Related Resources.
          Click on Related Resources.
          Among other listings, you will find websites. Lisa
          Scarola's "Some Pitt County Sermons and McGowans" will
          be among them. Click on it.
          She has an alphabetical listing for last names.
          Choose your name, and be prepared to be impressed with
          what you find.
          Nowhere have I seen so much information in one
          place!
          Later, Carol

        • lisascarola
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
            Dear Nicole and Carol,

            I'm not sure what email address is listed for me, but you can always
            get me at feonadorf@.... Sorry I haven't been as active as I used
            to be but I went back to work about 6 months ago, after being off for a
            few years. I will update my page tonight, not sure the last time I did
            that. I still try to spend some time every day doing research. Most
            recently I've been trying to dedicate my time to the Generations after
            1900. The Jacksons I know most about are those who married into the
            McGowan line, but if I am not mistaken some Jacksons also married into
            my Sermons line, thru a niece or nephew of my great grandmother Lucy
            Sermons McGowan.I'd have to check that one out and refresh myself. I
            will look back thru your correspondence and see which line you are
            looking into and try to get back to you by Monday.

            Hope everyone is having a joyous holiday season!
            Cousin,
            Lisa
          • LdMel1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
              Bless you for replying. I look forward to going there. What can I do to help you?

              Have a blessed day
              Linda

              --- LdMel1@... wrote:

              > How do we find her Web site? Thanks...
              >
              > Have a blessed day
              > Linda

            • Sue Jones Overton
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2006
                Glad to have you back Lisa, I've missed you! Hope your job is going well, though. I can't wait to see your updated page. I am related to Jacksons from my G Grandmother Beulah Evans Kittrell, her mother was Mary Eliza Jackson, daughter of Jesse S Jackson and Eliza Rountree Reid. I haven't started researching the Jacksons yet, but they are on my near future do list.

                Beulah Alice Evans, daughter of Amos Evans and Mary Eliza Jackson. Beulah was born 1868 and died 1923.
                Doni

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Dear Linda,
                  The greatest reward for me is being able to assist
                  others to fill in gaps in their own family history.
                  The next greatest reward is being able to pass on to
                  the youngest members of our families the stories of
                  their ancestors and kin.
                  I have spent more delightful hours over the pages
                  and links from the Pitt County Family Researchers' web
                  than over anything in my life except for the Sears'
                  Christmas catalogue in my childhood.
                  As I was thinking about the Jackson families of
                  Pitt County, I was reminded of another Jackson family
                  that I simply forgot to mention.
                  Roy David Jackson, Sr. married Thelma Wilson,
                  daughter of "Buster" and Eva Wilson of Pitt. They had
                  two children: Roy David Jackson, Jr. and Betty Earle
                  Jackson. These grandchildren became my friends because
                  of our frequent visits with Mama to the Pitt County
                  Home next door to us on County Home Road where their
                  grandfather was Superintendent of the Pitt County
                  Home. As Superintendent, his family were housed in the
                  Superintendent's home on the property.
                  That house was truly a magical place for me. My own
                  McGowan great uncles had served as superintendents of
                  the County Home themselves. So in addition to being
                  able to play there, the house was also special because
                  my great uncles and their families had lived there.
                  Today, the County Home no longer houses the
                  indigent nor the trustee prisoners who worked on the
                  chain gangs performing road maintenance for Pitt
                  County.
                  Between what was our property and the Pitt County
                  Home, on the same side of the road as the Home, is now
                  an elementary school where my young cousins are
                  pupils.
                  Still, though, despite all the changes, through
                  them the family ties continue. That's what brings us
                  together as well.
                  If perchance you do know about these County Home
                  Jacksons, I am sure that many of us would appreciate
                  your sharing their ties to other Pitt County and North
                  Carolina families.
                  Later, Carol

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com