Re: [genpcncfir] Jackson's in Pitt County

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2006
      Hi Nicole,

      I have Jackson kin. My greatgrandmother was a Jackson. She was Annie Jackson. Her parents were Henry Jackson and Eliza Waters. I have found very little info about my Jacksons.

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
        Dear Nicole,
        Lisa has done an incredible amount of hands on
        research to supplement what group members like us have
        shared with her. Her roots are also Pitt County, N.C.
        though, like many of us, she lives out-of-state now.
        She makes frequent trips, considering the distance, to
        visit cemeteries, court houses, and libraries. She
        uses public documents like census records and vital
        statistics to verify information, and she gives
        periodic up-dates. Last year, she did extensive
        up-dates of material on her web to the extent, in
        fact, that her site was down for several weeks.
        Of course, humans being what they are, there are
        errors at times, and in my own ignorance, I have
        contributed my share. However, as soon as I learn of
        my mistakes, I contact Lisa, and she very graciously
        up-dates and revises her information.
        She has made an incredible contribution to our
        knowledge of our Pitt County families.
        Later, Carol
        --- nsutti <nsutti@...> wrote:

        > I was able to trace a lot of Jackson history due to
        > Lisa Scarola, but
        > I'm not sure if she is just a researcher. Her
        > email does not work
        > anymore. Any other Jackson kin here?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Nicole

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • LdMel1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
          How do we find her Web site? Thanks...

          Have a blessed day
          Linda

          --- nsutti <nsutti@...> wrote:

          > I was able to trace a lot of Jackson history due to
          > Lisa Scarola, but
          > I'm not sure if she is just a researcher. Her
          > email does not work
          > anymore. Any other Jackson kin here?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Nicole

          Cheap talk?
          http://voice.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
            Dear Linda,
            Go to http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr That is the
            web of the Pitt County Family Researchers. From that
            page, you will find a box with a list of items
            including Online Resources (gives you cemeteries,
            Bible records, deeds, articles from the Eastern and
            Daily Reflector from 1882 to about 1906, death
            records, marriage records) and Related Resources.
            Click on Related Resources.
            Among other listings, you will find websites. Lisa
            Scarola's "Some Pitt County Sermons and McGowans" will
            be among them. Click on it.
            She has an alphabetical listing for last names.
            Choose your name, and be prepared to be impressed with
            what you find.
            Nowhere have I seen so much information in one
            place!
            Later, Carol

          • lisascarola
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
              Dear Nicole and Carol,

              I'm not sure what email address is listed for me, but you can always
              get me at feonadorf@.... Sorry I haven't been as active as I used
              to be but I went back to work about 6 months ago, after being off for a
              few years. I will update my page tonight, not sure the last time I did
              that. I still try to spend some time every day doing research. Most
              recently I've been trying to dedicate my time to the Generations after
              1900. The Jacksons I know most about are those who married into the
              McGowan line, but if I am not mistaken some Jacksons also married into
              my Sermons line, thru a niece or nephew of my great grandmother Lucy
              Sermons McGowan.I'd have to check that one out and refresh myself. I
              will look back thru your correspondence and see which line you are
              looking into and try to get back to you by Monday.

              Hope everyone is having a joyous holiday season!
              Cousin,
              Lisa
            • LdMel1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 7, 2006
                Bless you for replying. I look forward to going there. What can I do to help you?

                Have a blessed day
                Linda

                --- LdMel1@... wrote:

                > How do we find her Web site? Thanks...
                >
                > Have a blessed day
                > Linda

              • Sue Jones Overton
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2006
                  Glad to have you back Lisa, I've missed you! Hope your job is going well, though. I can't wait to see your updated page. I am related to Jacksons from my G Grandmother Beulah Evans Kittrell, her mother was Mary Eliza Jackson, daughter of Jesse S Jackson and Eliza Rountree Reid. I haven't started researching the Jacksons yet, but they are on my near future do list.

                  Beulah Alice Evans, daughter of Amos Evans and Mary Eliza Jackson. Beulah was born 1868 and died 1923.
                  Doni

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Dear Linda,
                    The greatest reward for me is being able to assist
                    others to fill in gaps in their own family history.
                    The next greatest reward is being able to pass on to
                    the youngest members of our families the stories of
                    their ancestors and kin.
                    I have spent more delightful hours over the pages
                    and links from the Pitt County Family Researchers' web
                    than over anything in my life except for the Sears'
                    Christmas catalogue in my childhood.
                    As I was thinking about the Jackson families of
                    Pitt County, I was reminded of another Jackson family
                    that I simply forgot to mention.
                    Roy David Jackson, Sr. married Thelma Wilson,
                    daughter of "Buster" and Eva Wilson of Pitt. They had
                    two children: Roy David Jackson, Jr. and Betty Earle
                    Jackson. These grandchildren became my friends because
                    of our frequent visits with Mama to the Pitt County
                    Home next door to us on County Home Road where their
                    grandfather was Superintendent of the Pitt County
                    Home. As Superintendent, his family were housed in the
                    Superintendent's home on the property.
                    That house was truly a magical place for me. My own
                    McGowan great uncles had served as superintendents of
                    the County Home themselves. So in addition to being
                    able to play there, the house was also special because
                    my great uncles and their families had lived there.
                    Today, the County Home no longer houses the
                    indigent nor the trustee prisoners who worked on the
                    chain gangs performing road maintenance for Pitt
                    County.
                    Between what was our property and the Pitt County
                    Home, on the same side of the road as the Home, is now
                    an elementary school where my young cousins are
                    pupils.
                    Still, though, despite all the changes, through
                    them the family ties continue. That's what brings us
                    together as well.
                    If perchance you do know about these County Home
                    Jacksons, I am sure that many of us would appreciate
                    your sharing their ties to other Pitt County and North
                    Carolina families.
                    Later, Carol

                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com