Re: [genpcncfir] nichols, perdue or perdew

  • Louise
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
      Hi John,

      Is Thomas Perdew Kate's father or grandfather? Here are four Thomas in the census of 1880. I figure one will be the one you want.

      1880 Falling Creek, Lenoir, North Carolina
      Thomas PERDEW Self M Male W 34 NC Farmer NC NC
      Sallie PERDEW Wife M Female W 30 NC Keeps House NC NC
      Bela PERDEW Dau S Female W 9 NC NC NC
      James PERDEW Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC

      1880 Louisburg, Franklin, North Carolina
      Thos. Y. PERDUE Self M Male W 31 NC Farmer NC NC
      Cathrine W. PERDUE Wife M Female W 31 NC Keeps House NC NC
      Alonzo PERDUE Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC
      Clifton PERDUE Son S Male W 3 NC NC NC
      Ella PERDUE Dau S Female W 10M NC NC NC
      Walter J. HAWKS Son S Male W 11 NC At Home NC NC
      Richard JOHNSON Other Male B 15 NC Plow Boy NC NC

      1880 Hollow, Bladen, North Carolina
      J. W. PURDIE Self M Male W 52 NC Farming NC NC
      Sarah PURDIE Wife M Female W 35 NC Keeping House NC NC
      Thomas J. PURDIE Son S Male W 7 NC NC NC
      J. Westley PURDIE Son S Male W 5 NC NC NC
      Sallie PURDIE Dau S Female W 4 NC NC NC
      Edward PURDIE Son S Male W 8M NC NC NC

      1880 Raleigh, Wake, North Carolina
      Wm. PERDEW Self M Male W 60 NC NC NC
      Sophia PERDEW Wife M Female W 55 NC NC NC
      Beckie PERDEW Dau S Female W 31 NC NC NC
      Emerline PERDEW Dau S Female W 25 NC NC NC
      Sam PERDEW Son S Male W 31 NC NC NC
      Luesa PERDEW Dau S Female W 23 NC NC NC
      Tom H. PERDEW Son S Male W 21 NC NC NC

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
        Thank you for the email, I believe you sent me a cd of that conversation,
        but it was not clear on what was being said, neverless this little
        transcript was nice.
        john

        --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:28 AM -0800 Louise <champright@...>

      • johncn@umich.edu
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
          I think Thomas is Kate's grandfather.

          John

          --On Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:42 AM -0800 Louise <champright@...>

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
            Dear Louise,
            He is the Jeremiah I referred to also in my reply
            to John, so we are on the same page.
            By the way, were the wives of Arden,Sr. kin to each
            other?
            Thank you for sharing your information on our
            common ancestor. It helps me understand so much more
            about what his life was like than I could ever get
            from reading names and dates.
            Later, Carol

          • John Nichols
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
              I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth certificate and it shows
              her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think 1897, so he would be to
              young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the Thomas Perdew that is from
              Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas Perdew? That would made
              that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas Perdew was born. Thoughts?
              Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born Falling Creek Township, Lenior
              County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a brother named Thomas, I think
              this is the same line. I am not sure what year the civil war ended, but it
              may be possible that this is the same Thomas that was in the civil war. I am
              looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would welcome any info.

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                Dear John,
                The Civil War ended around 1865, if I remember
                correctly. As for fatherhood, there really is no
                particular age beyond which a man can father children
                as there is for women bearing children.
                In fact, many men become fathers in their 50's or
                even older. One of my professors here at J. Sargeant
                Reynolds is retired and has an infant son.
                Another older father is David Letterman, the
                comedian. He, too, is the father of an infant son.
                Letterman is also in his 60's.
                I have read of men decades older fathering
                children. The oldest I know of personally was 71 years
                old.
                Later, Carol

                http://new.mail.yahoo.com
              • jow
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                  According to the 1910 Lenoir Co census (Falling Creek) William age 20 md to Lula age 20 is the son of Thomas age 67 and Penney 65.

                  In the 1920 census they are in Carrs, Greene Co as William T 29 and Lela 29 with daughter Katie 11/

                  Jean W
                  jowgen@...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 6, 2006
                    Thank you for replying, I found my Thomas Perdew, but being here in
                    Michigan, I am trying to find a was to find a death Certificate for William
                    Thomas Perdew that was married to Lela Letchworth. I am thinking he was
                    born in about 1897. I have his name on my grandmother's birth certificate
                    as being her father. I do know that according to the 1910 census, I think
                    my Thomas Perdew was born in about 1843. Note thet William Thomas Perdew is
                    the son of Thomas Perdew. I am trying to find death or birth records for
                    both of them. I am not sure when either of them died.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                      Jeremiah Nichols may have been in the Spanish-American War with Cuba. My husband said it was around 1998 or 1905. They wore fannel not having good uniforms.

                      --- John Nichols <johncn@...> wrote:

                      > I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth
                      > certificate and it shows
                      > her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think
                      > 1897, so he would be to
                      > young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the
                      > Thomas Perdew that is from
                      > Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas
                      > Perdew? That would made
                      > that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas
                      > Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                      > Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born
                      > Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                      > County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a
                      > brother named Thomas, I think
                      > this is the same line. I am not sure what year the
                      > civil war ended, but it
                      > may be possible that this is the same Thomas that
                      > was in the civil war. I am
                      > looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would
                      > welcome any info.
                      >
                      > John

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • John Nichols
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                        Thank you for responding,
                        I have since found out that my great great grandad along with his brother
                        and their father Thomas, Joshua, and dad William Perdew all served in the
                        27th regiment company c in the civil war. Thomas was wounded and received a
                        civil war pension. I am using family tree maker 9.0 and was wondering how i
                        can upload it to our site?

                        this is exciting
                        john nichols

                        --- John Nichols <johncn@...> wrote:

                        > I just looked up my Kate Perdew (grandmother) birth
                        > certificate and it shows
                        > her father William Thomas Perdew being born I think
                        > 1897, so he would be to
                        > young to be in the civil war, but I wonder if the
                        > Thomas Perdew that is from
                        > Falling creek is the father of my William Thomas
                        > Perdew? That would made
                        > that Perdew 51 years old when my William Thomas
                        > Perdew was born. Thoughts?
                        > Kate Perdew birth cert. states her being born
                        > Falling Creek Township, Lenior
                        > County. Also, Kate had a sister named Bela, a
                        > brother named Thomas, I think
                        > this is the same line. I am not sure what year the
                        > civil war ended, but it
                        > may be possible that this is the same Thomas that
                        > was in the civil war. I am
                        > looking at the names on the 1880 census, I would
                        > welcome any info.
                        >
                        > John

                        Pitt County Historical Society:

                        information:

                        We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Louise
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 9, 2006
                          I don't know how to upload it either. Maybe someone could help us with it. Louise

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 9, 2006
                            John, click on the website below and click on FILES. It will then let you add a file to the website. I know how you feel when you find something new about the family. Great!! Louise